Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Test An Egr Valve?

Hornet boy

After some quick advice please.

My wife's car (2.0 TDCI 130 Euro 4) has thrown up fault code P0251.

I want to check the EGR valve first, so have taken it off and cleaned it, but can anyone tell me exactly how to check it while iit is off? I don't have access to a vacuum pump, but can take it to my local garage during the week if a vacuum pump is the only way.

I don't have access to another EGR eiither.

Should it be possible to move the valve by hand?

The car has got this type of EGR:

_35_zps6b6409a9.jpg

Thanks all.

What year is your wifes car? - that does not look like a Euro 4 electronic EGR valve - if you could post a picture of the actual car/ valve that would help

Just stick a solid EGR blanking plate on it - then there will be no need to test it (as a solid plate effectively disables the EGR valve) and this will save you a lot of money (Aout £5 for the plate and £125-190 each time you need a valve - some owners have got through 4 )

+ not forgetting the plate allows the car to run smoother/ better with better pick-up from low revs, and often better economy, and once the plate is fitted the inlet ceases to be contaminated by carbon, and smoke from the exhaust is often reduced too

Thanks for the reply.

I will post up a picture of the actual one shortly.

Ford Etis shows it as 'Stage IV emissions', and the log book says Euro4, which is why I assumed that's what it is, but I know that these have both been known to be wrong in the past. Thinking that it is Euro 4 is what has stopped me considering the blanking plate because I know it can cause the EML light to come on and as it's my wife's car she would rather there were no lights showing.

What year is your wifes car?

This is the Euro 4 valve -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mondeo-MK3-2-2-EGR-Exhaust-Gas-Recirculation-Valve-OE-New-/151321762176?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AMondeo&hash=item233b7ad980&vxp=mtr

its a 2.2 but the 2.0 is the same, it has an electric motor in it, it is fitted to later Euro 4 cars with the electronic turbo actuator, the one you posted does not have a motor in it

Many owners fit solid EGR blanking plates to their EURO4 cars, they either ignore the engine light, and/ or reset it with a code reader, they put up with this minor thing for all the advantages of having a solid plate fitted

Sorry, I forgot to say it's a 2004.

These are pictures of her EGR & actuator:

20140608_134142_zpse965a5bc.jpg

20140608_134210_zps6020cc32.jpg

20140608_134230_zpsd45317bd.jpg

20140608_134244_zps74dababb.jpg

20140608_134316_zpsc62b2ac7.jpg

20140608_134326_zps0404d4b2.jpg

20140608_134342_zps4456d799.jpg

20140608_134400_zps9eb238df.jpg

20140608_140125_zps5be2966e.jpg

20140608_140210_zpsf37bddd6.jpg

I have noticed that there is a lot of oil on the outside of the turbo (see last picture) which I'm guessing shouldn't be there, so perhaps I need to re focus my attention?

Thats interesting - you have the electronic actuator but not the EGR with the electric motor in it (that makes a multitude of different versions) - you should fit a solid blanking plate and see what happens

I also recommend you clean out your inlet manifold as well

the oil may just be from the crankcase breather/ a leaking hose

What a horrible ugly thing that EGR valve is! - and look at the shape on the inside- with protrusions and voids in the gas flow

Thanks for all your advice.

That'll be what's confusing me then if it's a combination of the two.

I did clean take the inlet manifold off and clean it too. I will order a blanking plate and see how it goes.

One last question, if I blank the EGR off it will take it out of the equation, and therefore if the car runs as normal after blanking we can be fairly sure that it was the EGR causing the problem? And if the car is still playing up I keep investigating!

Thanks for all your advice.

That'll be what's confusing me then if it's a combination of the two.

I did clean take the inlet manifold off and clean it too. I will order a blanking plate and see how it goes.

One last question, if I blank the EGR off it will take it out of the equation, and therefore if the car runs as normal after blanking we can be fairly sure that it was the EGR causing the problem? And if the car is still playing up I keep investigating!

No problem!

P0251 = injection pump fuel metering control A malfunction

1st thing to do is fit a new fuel filter ("quality" brand or genuine Ford "cheap" ones can cause problems )

Still worth fitting the solid blanking plate, though IMO

A non-blanked EGR valve does cause problems - even when its working "correctly". problems include, flat spots, hesitation, lag at low revs, poor performance at some revs, poor economy & further problems caused by the carbon/ gunge building up in the inlet (manifold/ EGR etc)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club