Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Help Appreciated As Im A Bit Lost :-/

oneillchris

Mk4 1.25 zetec's. When im turning left on a slightly bumpy surface at low or high speeds theres a bad rattle I cant figure what it is I tought first it was c.v joints, I full them with grease and the problems still there. Could it stil be c.v's or am I lookin in all the wrong places. Any help appreciated as my heads wrecked. Tanks for taking the time to read my post. Cheers :-)

I had the same issue as you recently. After 20 minutes of the mechanic scratching his head it was found to be the power steering line was hitting off of items in the engine bay due to the hydraulic pressure and uneven road surface.

Try turning the engine on, turning to full lock, release the pressure and then back to full lock - if you hear the noise you are describing it could be a loose power steering line.

I had also thought it was the CV joint!

Cheers pudd. Would you have any idea what it was hiting off? It only rattles on mine when turning left but the rattle is coming from the drivers side front wheel was yours the same pudd? Cheers

Yep, mine was rattling on the drivers side, keep in mind though that I have a Mk6 facelift, 07. Obviously depending on your engine layout it may be different.

Take a look at this image - http://eucatparts.com/imgbank/cat/fo/0101/T010116311.jpg

The line that comes down from the bottle (the one attached - not 3691) is the line that was hitting off the engine bay frame and side of the radiator. Yours may be different, but it was what was causing mine.

Yes, like you say mine was more prominent when I was travelling at low speed and turning left.

You'll be able to diagnose easily enough if you get a friend to turn the steering wheel to full lock and keep tapping it off of full lock whilst you look in the engine bay for any loose lines.

Fairolay pud I had a quick look at it, there is pipes in that area that can rattle when I shake with my hand gonna get the car up off the ground and have a good look cheers for all ur help an info as I think an hope you hit the nail on the head:-) appreciate it...... If only it was that simple johnny 0 a bit like yourself simple ha

Yeah all pipes will move when moved with your hand to some degree Chris. As I say get someone to turn the steering to full lock and keep tapping it off of full lock whilst the car is on. The hydraulic pressure going through the pipes when the steering is turned to full lock will make the power steering line move, it was this movement that was knocking off of other parts of the engine. Without having the car on, and doing that motion I would never have been able to tell that it was that loose power steering line.

Usually I do this stuff myself, but on this occasion didn't have a clue and ended up taking it to my mechanic in the end. He done the exact thing with the steering wheel like I suggested whilst I looked in the engine bay - I could quite clearly see this pipe battering itself off of the radiator and engine bay housing - a bit like a very angry snake!

Chris - do me a favour an upload an image of your engine bay and I'll give you an idea of where to look. If not - stand at the front of the car looking into the engine, on the left hand side you will notice the power steering bottle, any line coming off of that could be your culprit (assuming it is similar to the layout of the engine bays of mk4 fiestas on google images . . .)

I tried to upload photos before but unfortunately I cant cause im on this site on my phone and it wont let me upload a photo. I fully understand you tho with the pressure the pipes can move then when the pressure is off they can release or move back to there original position. Gonna anoy the misses an get her out to help me. Cheers for your time pudd and teachin me something for the future its something I wouldnt of tought of but when I think about it, it all makes sense. It all started when I didnt see a speed ramp slamed out over it tough it was suspension related of some sort but after checkin over everything more than once should I say couldnt see anything wrong. The Bad bang must of knocked a pipe slighltly out of position

More likely a clip to be honest Chris! Not too sure how the mk4 compares to the mk6, but look under the drivers side wheel arch and into the engine bay, there may be a clip attached to the frame holding a pipe which runs towards the back of the car but past the drivers side wheel.

Annoying the wife outside in that weather?! Rest in peace! It's raining up here in the North.

Would love to know how you get on though Chris. As you say it is one of those things that you would never think of.

Your on the money pudd I can see a pipe for the power steering and a clip just hanging on the pipe. Luckily its not raining at the min so gonna go while the grounds half dry cause ive no shed either see can I sort it. Sound out pudd il let you know how I get on in an 2r3 hours if ur stil on here. Cheers for all your help appreciate it:-)

Sorted:-) an didnt cost a penny to fix:-) . The Power steering pipe when turning left was rubin off the rubber booth on the drive. Tink its because the cv joint would strech out a tiny bit when turning left. In other words turning left the right hand drive would slightly get lower in the u joint if that makes sense to u.. All in all a tiny bit of string sorted it by Jus tieing the pipe out of the way. Only for ye pudd id b still scratching my head. Sound for ur help man

I ment the drive would bend up towards the pipe an just rube off it sleihtly. Tanks for d info

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club