Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Used Ford

kiloeightone

Hi all,

I'm looking let go of my 53 plate Mondeo 2.0 TDCi for something a little younger and with less miles on the clock (it's approaching 200k).

I've had a look at some of the posts here and a buyers guide from auto express but would like some opinions. I've had Mk 2 Focus in the past but some of the things I've read are putting me of a bit.

Do the diesel engines really have the most reported problems? I'd be looking at a 2006/2007 example with average mileage. I've read that the DPF can need replaced at cost around that kind of mileage, and that the dual mass flywheel can go if the car has been used for short journeys. What's peoples experiences of this age of focus?

Are petrol models of that age less likely to suffer costly faults like that? And if so is it worth taking the hit on roads tax and choosing a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol instead?

Any thoughts or opinions welcomed.

if ur lookin to getting a derv go for the 1.8tdci no dpf... a engine treats you how it has been treated in the past, if its been canned then you could be screwed.... if it has full service history and been looked after then you had a good un.... always good practice when you buy a car is give it a full service straight away...(air/oil filters, check gearbox level, change fuel filter, and blank of the egr valve...)

i suppose the clutch/dmf can go at any time, not on millage or round town driving.... its just one of those things that comes with wear n tear..

i have the mk2 face lift, and my main prob was blown injector seals, but this yet again is wear and tear... expect it with any car..

unsure on road tax but i pay 68 for 6mth on my 1.8tdci wich is not bad at all, and i get great mpg....

Blank the EGR and that takes the pressure off the Turbo, if the DPF is removed that saves more agro still. I would agree, get the 1.8 TDCi and you will be laughing from here to the next 200,000 miles. they are much better engines as the 1.8 is Fords own labour, whereas the 1.6 and 2.0 are the pugs engines.

Hi guys, really appreciate your insight on that. There's few 1.8 TDCi's around on auto trader do that does look like a good bet;

Thanks again!

Good Luck!

just another quick one on this - saw a 1.8TDCi 57 plate C-Max with low mileage.. Not many of these about it seems.. Are they like the focus in that the 1.8s don't have DPF?

that should be correct, as far as I know the DPF does not exist on any of the 1.8TDCi ranges.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Although we did focus on a 1.8 tdci, we ended up going for a 1.6 tdci which had good mileage, service history and was a 90bhp so didn't have a DPF. Car was spotless and ran great.

Had it little more than a month until it had a small bump and was written off as Cat D.

I'd got it serviced by ford not long before the accident and got hit with a big list of work required that came to £700, and that there wasn't much travel on clutch so that would need done too. Luckily I waited so I could shop around.

So back to square one. Still thinking about the 1.8 TDCi but the seemingly higher maintenance and repair costs of the diesels are putting me off a bit - I've seen many say petrols are cheaper to maintain.

Crikey not a great start!

if you worry about the bad points on a car you wouldn't buy most cars on the road, I personally went for the 1.6 tdci due to very cheap tax, insurance, mpg, like you have said good service history is a must, if things like the DPF scares you pay for it to be gutted and remapped problem gone,

You are probably miles and miles away but look at ashington automobile company in Worthing as a rough idea, I bought my car from there and very pleased indeed.

cars like 2009 focus 1.6 zetec 39000 £5499 not sure how much you want to spend but they have been selling fords for over 30 years and no I don't work for them lol. :D :driving:

That's very true. I had a 1.6 tdci back in 06 and did around 20k a year motorway and had no problems. Loved it. Only positives, until it has a crash. That's why I went for one again last month.

I am unfortunately many miles from that dealer. I did call a Glasgow ford dealer about another 1.6 tdci 110, looked a cracker but wanted to see if the DPF had been renewed at 75k - guy didn't know what a DPF was, checked with a technician and said they only had them in the 1.8s! (I'd already checked etis so knew it had one) Also couldn't tell me if it had a service history or not!

• Like 1

To be honest I really wouldn't worry about the DPF the way ford make it sound is that at 75000 miles a switch goes bing and the dpf goes wrong, I think ford charge ish £1100-1300 I might be wrong (please correct me if I am) but like I have said you can get the innards removed and remapped for lass than half of fords price.

I changed my pals shogun dpf 188000 miles last week so they can go for a long time.

Like I have said no mater what car you say I could come up with some bug bearing fault every car has one,and as they say a little knowledge is dangerous, although these forums are excellent for hints and tips they also put fear into some people with worry that this and that will happen, end of the day go look at the car you like make sure it has service history no bumps and scrapes and look at the tyres to see if they are cheap ones or hopefully someone has spent money for the vital part of your car and put decent ones on.

:D :D :driving: :driving:

• Like 1

In the end, I found a 2006 Focus Ghia with 30,000 miles. Full service, full years MoT, and alloy refurb thrown in. Made the switch to the 1.6 petrol engine.

Should get it by end of week. First thing on the list is to swap out the walnut fascia for a nice silver one, and upgrade radio to oval using the excellent guide elsewhere on this site!

Nice one as long as your happy that's all that counts :D :D :driving: :driving:

what dealer supplyed your car was it arnold clark?

paul

In the end, got the car from an independent down in Greenock called Crawfurds. service was top class. Would recommend.

The deals who said that only the 1.8 TDCi's had DPFs was Evans Halshaw.

Another used car place had a 1.8tdci with photos of the dash which showed powertrain warning light on. I emailed and asked what the fault was and if it had been repaired. Didn't get any reply but they changed the photos on their site and auto trader, deleted photo with warning light and put up another one without warning light.

crafty sods you notice warning light and they change photo's in adverts one dealer to stay clear off its getting harder to find honest dealers in the trade

paul