Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Right Tool For The Job Makes Life Easy..........

sonic113

OK not to sound stupid but I have been using the wheel brace that came with my focus but recently its been a pain because every time i loosen for tighten the wheel nuts its taking off the Small covers that are over the actual nuts? Has any one had this problem?

if i buy a decent fitting wheel brace will that stop it from ruining the wheel nut covers and can any 1 recommend a decent wheel brace?

also on the same subject I will require front brake pads soon and was thinking about getting a piston rewind tool. can any one tell me of a decent one that will fit the focus mk2 calipers.

I had come across the following

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALIPER-PISTON-REWIND-TOOL-Ford-Focus-KA-Fiesta-Mondeo-VW-Passat-Polo-Seat-/290706946072?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item43af7bf818

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-Piece-Car-Disc-Brake-Pad-Caliper-Piston-Rewind-Tools-Wind-Back-Adapter-Set-UK-/231174030695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35d30bc567

any views?

Thanks

i just super-glued it back in lol, the tyre shops that use impact wrenches will probably break the covers off which is what happened to 2-3 of mine

for the tool, the eBay one will do but its only required for the rear bakes, the front ones can be pushed in by hand or by using a channel lock

i got myself an extendable wheel nut wrench from wilkinsons for about a fiver and it does the job perfectly. ive got allot wheel nuts so no covers to mess about with.

• Like 1

For circumventing the 'air wrench' syndrome I keep the following in my boot :-

18" breaker bar

19mm long reach single hex impact socket

Seems a bit odd recommending Halfrauds, but these two items are the dog's dangleys and the plastic sleeve around the socket means your wheels don't get marked.

• Like 2

For circumventing the 'air wrench' syndrome I keep the following in my boot :-

18" breaker bar

19mm long reach single hex impact socket

Seems a bit odd recommending Halfrauds, but these two items are the dog's dangleys and the plastic sleeve around the socket means your wheels don't get marked.

I will agree Halfords tools are actually good quality - many of mine have taken some serious abuse.

I have never seen the point in those wheel nut sockets with the plastic sleeve though - never in around 8 years of working on cars have I ever marked an alloy with a normal chrome impact socket..

• Like 1

I have to say, that Wilko's £5 special is a brilliant tool. Had one, gave it to the father in law and bought another, never had an issue of it, and has made light work of air drill syndrome!

• Like 1

Thanks for reply guys. I will need to start getting a few bits and pieces to add to the toolbox.

do you have a link to the wilkinsons extendable wheel nut wrench?

On a look about I came across this one would it be any good?

also will this fit the ford focus mk2 brakes i would buy the kit but don't really need the rest of the things in it so it may be a waste i just need one for the ford focus calipers.

also can any one think of any other special kind of tool needed for any other work on the focus? may as well add them to the tool box just in case. any links would also be great.

Thanks

I brought a whole set of piston rewind tools from amazon. Only cost me £25. Already got my money back as I done my aunty and uncles brakes for £50. So if you look at it like that it's worth every penny. 2 jobs and I've doubled the original out lay.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks for reply guys. I will need to start getting a few bits and pieces to add to the toolbox.
do you have a link to the wilkinsons extendable wheel nut wrench?
On a look about I came across this one would it be any good?
also will this fit the ford focus mk2 brakes i would buy the kit but don't really need the rest of the things in it so it may be a waste i just need one for the ford focus calipers.
also can any one think of any other special kind of tool needed for any other work on the focus? may as well add them to the tool box just in case. any links would also be great.
Thanks

sominc,

the extendable wrench is very similar to the wilko's one. Best bet is to pop into a store to buy one.

for the caliper use a g clap and a adjustable pipe wrench..... the focus hole slots in the piston are really offset, i bought 2 sets from exchange and mart and took both back.. and i used what i stated above... you should prob already have them in ur tool box....

for the wheel i use a black long nose impact socket with a power bar supplied from exchange and mart... the make is Clarke and has a life time guarantee...... power bar is straight so you get a batter pull on a socket than if it were at a angle as in ur amazon link

• Like 1

I've got the laser caliper rewind tool has a reversible end on it to fit different size of caliper also use a breaker bar and 19mm impact hex socket as I tend to put wheel nuts on FT take no chances seen wheels fly off before now.

for the caliper use a g clap and a adjustable pipe wrench..... the focus hole slots in the piston are really offset, i bought 2 sets from exchange and mart and took both back.. and i used what i stated above... you should prob already have them in ur tool box....

for the wheel i use a black long nose impact socket with a power bar supplied from exchange and mart... the make is Clarke and has a life time guarantee...... power bar is straight so you get a batter pull on a socket than if it were at a angle as in ur amazon link

That is a very valid point Martin. I have used a few of those extendable wheel wrench and the angle on them does tend to make you want to push away from the nut meaning you could likely do damage to it.

great info guys. Thanks for all replies.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club