Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts?

DanGersFord

Rediculous!

The fines are high enough as it is, but bankrupting someone for a one off offence is just ludicrous.

Points - Fine! Ban - Yep, Extended Driving Test - Not a problem! Heavy Fine - agree entirely, Confiscate car - in some circumstances perhaps, but 10,000 fine is just taking the mick! clearly this is the governments policy of "how can we make more money out of the country without taxing them more..."

I certainly dont agree, and if I ever found myself in court being charged with that fine, I would just go for contempt of court and get that on my sheet as well, telling the judge straight how BS the whole thing is, I would then go and declare myself bankrupt and shove that decleration up the legal systems tailpipe.

• Like 1

I Can't ever see it happening tbh. It's just ridiculous, they are only interested in the money and nothing to do with stopping people. They believe putting fines like that are going to make this world a great place?

• Like 1

If they're going to do that then every new car should have to have cruise control fitted as standard to atleast make it a bit easier on folk. Its easy done when you're driving 5-6 hours on the motorway to let your attention slip from time to time (Not that im condoning speeding you understand). They are literally going to bankrupt people if this comes into effect, and mark my words with this tory government it will. Roll on Scottish independance lol

It's only 10,000 when it's a level 4 offence though ? I think that is fair, shouldn't be drink driving or driving with in affective brakes/tyres and no insurance should be under this.

If they're going to do that then every new car should have to have cruise control fitted as standard to atleast make it a bit easier on folk. Its easy done when you're driving 5-6 hours on the motorway to let your attention slip from time to time (Not that im condoning speeding you understand). They are literally going to bankrupt people if this comes into effect, and mark my words with this tory government it will. Roll on Scottish independance lol

Vote naw to that rubbish! I'm guaranteed to be out a job if that goes through

I am mate haha I was only joking :) but I can see some of the benifits of I dependance if im honest

From what I can find: Level 4 traffic offences are:

• Careless and inconsiderate driving Now, Anything where your careless and incosniderate is entirely a matter
    of opinion, unlike drink driving, there is nothing that says "this is the line that you need to cross" to be in the catagory - for that, I dont agree.
  • Driving, or being in charge, when under influence of drink or drugs - I dont condone drink driving, and in my youth I made mistakes (I never caused or had any incident at all, but I did drive under my own suspicion of being over the limit the following day). But this should be a gradient. If they were to say for every 10% over the limit you face up to £500 fine for each bracket, maybe. But there is nothing clear to say that I popped the pub at lunch, had a beer, came back to the office, used mouthwash for a couple of ulcers, and got caught under the influence of mouthwash on the way home - and there is a £10k fine!
  • Driving on a motorway in excess of the speed limit - Lets be frank, if more than 5% of this forum reply and say "I never speed on a motorway, ever!" then I will be shocked. Everyone can slip up, be it from tiredness, deliberance, suptidity or emergency. I have sped down the motorway when my wife was rushed to hospital in labour, Anything could have happened to her, and I wouldnt have a clue, so I had to get there fast. If I got stopped, I would accept that, 3 points, an explanation, a £60 fine (at the time) or maybe up to £200 (depending on what speed they may have caught me) then again, fair enough, but if I am panicking that my wife is in serious risk of ill health or the kids, I appreciate that speeding is wrong, but I dont expect to get caught at 90 on the motorway and slapped with a £10k fine!
  • Driver, or being in charge of a motor vehicle with alcohol concentration above the prescribed limit - Is this not drink driving? but never the less, the point is above.
  • After being in charge of a vehicle refusing to provide samples for analysis - Clearly if your refusing a sample, then you know your under the influence, ergo, it falls back on what was already said.
  • Using a handheld mobile phone whilst driving - Bear in mind you can call 999 in an emergency and drive, thats fine. I agree though, picking up the phone, texting, holding it to the ear, very bad for yours and everyones health, but heres the biggest bone of contention. There is currently evidence that the government may soon class the use of hands free mobile phones in the same bracket. so a call comes in, wife is worried, panicking that my sons not well. I press a button start to speak, both hands on the wheel, focusing on driving (I am one of these people who as long as he needs to concentrate, will stop mid sentence for as long as necessary, get past the point of focus and then pick up the sentence where I left off) then, Constable bored-outa-my-head comes along and queries why I was talking to myself, tell him I am hands free to my concerned wife, and it could still go to court for £10k.

I dont promote any dangerous acts behind the wheel, but everything that goes to court is NOT evidential, a lot is based on the evidential fact of opinion. That officer wont care that if I see a car in my rear view mirror and shut my lips until its gone then open them again, that will be down to me to prove to a judge. The only fact is that I was talking at the time.

I hate this government and this countries useless idealogical fantasies, and I hope on my life that they have the sense to drop this. but seriously, I sneeze and get caught speeding, I talk handsfree when theres nothing on the road, and I used mouthwash earlier in the day, I could be fined up to £30k in those circumstances, just on one trip for nothing illegitimate.

You also have to bear in mind that they are hoping to get drivers through court more quickly and will hold virtual courts to do so. So before the mouthwash has evaporated from my tongue, I am already sat in front of judge judy on TV being pronounced guilty, with no contra-evidence that I am not under the influence of alcohol.

This is the most rediculous thing I have heard all year and I hope they seriously think hard about not only going ahead with it, but if they do, how they are going to justify it.