Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Dpf Removal And Egr Blanking

Kye

Hello all.

After trawling these forums for a short period now and looking into the diesel side of things, I have been wondering just what use DPF's and EGR's actually serve, other than giving the EU green policy nancies a chub on.

I know they are there to 'reduce emissions' and save polar bears, but are they infact just pointless things to have? I', lead to believe that without them, an engine will burn more efficiently and produce less crap, if any.

If that is the case, why not get the manufacturers to jiggle the engines to run as well as they can for the countries they go to. Why do UK engines need to be de-rated to suit somewhere with lower quality fuel when our is high quality?

Or am I missing something here?

• Like 1

You hit the nail on the head, it's euro cack and little more

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the carbon build up caused by the egr in my tdci they do nothing but cause you an extra headache later on in the cars life. The build up reduces the airflow through the intercooler and inlet manifold and the efficiency and mpg suffer ridiculously from it so how it's good for the environment I have no idea

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a bump on this one.

I had someone from the other side of the EGR camp explain to me why they are good to have.

you have to see the whole thing as a system

and egr valve actually allows you to eliminate throttling losses in most situations

the only time it becomes useless is if you drive around at more than about 70% throttle constantly

soot in a diesel is actually a byproduct of emissions control laws saying that particulates are ok relative to NOX and CO

or, that your injector seats are !Removed! and the car is overmetering

the egr only opens when at very light or constant load, and allows the engine to pretend it's a much smaller displacement than it is, by not sucking in as much o2 each stroke. you can't 'burn the exhaust twice' as there's no o2 in it, thats why you want it in there.

Wrong or right? It seems to clash with what I understand.

Now for a daft question. Why can diesels produce so much soot and cack?

• Like 1

Hello all.

After trawling these forums for a short period now and looking into the diesel side of things, I have been wondering just what use DPF's and EGR's actually serve, other than giving the EU green policy nancies a chub on.

I know they are there to 'reduce emissions' and save polar bears, but are they infact just pointless things to have? I', lead to believe that without them, an engine will burn more efficiently and produce less crap, if any.

If that is the case, why not get the manufacturers to jiggle the engines to run as well as they can for the countries they go to. Why do UK engines need to be de-rated to suit somewhere with lower quality fuel when our is high quality?

Or am I missing something here?

+1

It also gurantee's car manufacturees continued business with regenerating the dpf's replacing blown turbos due to blocked oil feeds,

If i was a car manufactuter i too would fit a dpf and egr because id make more money when you need an egr vale reprogrammed and turbo replaced,

So if the market is low on new car sales, i can still sleep easy because my mechanics will be busy repairing the ones sold when money was flowing.

My ford mechanic told me personally, "your engine is better off with the EGR blanked and dpf removal that's up to yourself if you want it but I'm sure it will help too, don't make em like they used to but we just service what they give us"

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club