• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Oscar
  • Ford Model: S max
  • Year: 2007

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

A few months back my S-Max started developing a fault where complete boost would be lost. The Engine malfunction message would come up on the dash board together with the skid marks light. Once the car was stopped and started again the car would be back to normal.

I was told by a couple of garages, including Ford Dealer that it required a new turbo, because the vanes were sticking.

And I did!! I purchased a refurbished turbo and had it installed.

The car run perfectly for the first 2-3 months, but the light, message and skid marks light came back on today. Any ideas??.

I am intending to do a very long trip and I am now getting scared of something going wrong.

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,806 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hi Oscar,

First things first, do the trip computer test to find out if you have any obvious error codes. If you have the OK (left right up down) steering wheel, turn the engine off, press and hold OK then turn the key to position 2 and hold, this will get you in test mode, then press OK repeatedly to go through the menus and find DTC. If there are any codes, then great! if not, you will need to buy a code reader (info in my signature - click "Got an error on your car?") I highly recommend the Modified ELM and FORSCAN for more detail and the bluetooth OBD and Torque for portability.

If you have a refurb turbo, go back to whoever you bought it from and advise of the issue. You may have a faulty unit.

The Skid Mark Icon I believe is the ESP light that your referring to, it could be an alternative issue which is causing the similar symptoms, so dont dispair, it may not be as bad as it first feels!

#3 Fornelo

Fornelo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

Hi Jeebowhite,
No clear code errors found.
I would be surprised if I replaced the turbo and the replacement ha exactly the same issue!! I will ring them though!!
Could it be that the issue is with something else that is allowing to much dirt into the turbo and hence allowing the vanes to stick!!
Just a thought!. Maybe a flow sensor, or something else!
Thanks

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,806 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

At the moment Oscar, with little information its almost impossible to say. It could be a dirty or stuffed sensor, or it could be as serious as the turbo or perhaps worse still. It really is an open ended scenario.

If you got no error codes from the trip computer, then you need to buy a code reader as mentioned. If you want the best full picture you can get - buy yourself a modified ELM config cable with switch, and download FORSCAN, This scans all the modules and works very well indeed. If you buy the bluetooth code reader and use Torque or similar, it gives you a good picture, but can only scan a few of the modules at best. My car currently has 3 error codes, picked up by FORSCAN that are not picked up by Torque, or the trip computer.

You can buy from the SMAX Owners club a "home branded" ELM cable, I dont recall the cost though. But I do believe that I have a spare ELM cable at home which if you need it, would be happy to sell it to you.

Alternatively if you need answers much more quickly, I would suggest you get the AA or whoever out to do a check. They should be able to advise you further.

#5 Fornelo

Fornelo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Jeebowhite.

Any chances of sending me a link to purchase the modified ELM cable with Switch??.

Regards

#6 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,806 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Didnt realise how much they were charging but here you are:

http://www.smaxowner...com/elm327.html

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users