Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Vanity Lights?

Ianb

Can anyone point me in the direction of one?

I recently bought a couple vanity lights (ones behind the sun visors) and I assumed they wouldn't be too difficult to sort out, (I'm naive as well as ignorant when it comes to cars). I am struggling to work out how to do it/where to get the connectors from etc..

Just wondering if anyone had a detailed guide or something as I really am completely new to all of this stuff... imagine a child trying to put the square block through the triangle hole and that's somewhat my abilities when it comes to cars...

• Like 1

We havent got a guide but could help you with it.

Do you have the wiring for it as well as the light?

• Like 1

Unfortunately no. I've looked online and seen images which show the wires attached, but mine don't have wires or plugs attached :(

• Like 1

Can anyone point me in the direction of one?

I recently bought a couple vanity lights (ones behind the sun visors) and I assumed they wouldn't be too difficult to sort out, (I'm naive as well as ignorant when it comes to cars). I am struggling to work out how to do it/where to get the connectors from etc..

Just wondering if anyone had a detailed guide or something as I really am completely new to all of this stuff... imagine a child trying to put the square block through the triangle hole and that's somewhat my abilities when it comes to cars...

Hi,

It would be easiest if you could get a roof lining with the holes already cut out for the vanity lights,

Here is cable you would require:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/170680456683?nav=SEARCH

You can splice in to the centre light loom for power and earth,

IMG_20130806_100155_zps06753512.jpg

You will also require pvc tape:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/180483586959?nav=SEARCH

and some insulated spade connectors look like these:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261394889313?nav=SEARCH

IMG_20130803_003810_zps0c9ce2da.jpg

If you dont have any tools, this kit is sufficent for wiring:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/181360262510?nav=SEARCH

My car has the little indentations under the sun visors where vanity lights are 'supposed' to go in higher spec models, so I'm not too worried about where to fit them (just scary having to chop into a nice headlining - might get my fiancee to do it :D haha then it's not my fault!)

Thanks for the links of stuff above, I'm still not sure how to wire it into the vanity lights themselves... The part the bulbs goes into is all covered by plastic and would need special plugs...

• Like 1

My car has the little indentations under the sun visors where vanity lights are 'supposed' to go in higher spec models, so I'm not too worried about where to fit them (just scary having to chop into a nice headlining - might get my fiancee to do it :D haha then it's not my fault!)

Thanks for the links of stuff above, I'm still not sure how to wire it into the vanity lights themselves... The part the bulbs goes into is all covered by plastic and would need special plugs...

cut a small hole then bore it out snug,

Have you got some wires coming out of them?

If yes,

Crimp male spade connectors on to them,

Splice some new cable to the loom at the rear of the interior light,

Run it to each vanity light and crimp some insulated female spade connectors to the ends ,

Plug it all in and job done,

Thanks again for the help you guys are offering, I've just taken a couple pictures of the lights to show them and what I have/don't have etc.

There are no wires supplied at all sadly :(

The back view shows the 'socket' I guess you could call it, that links up to the bulb, but there is no 'plug' which would lead to the power source:

IMG_2135_zps9042bbaf.jpg

And front view is..well..just the front view:

IMG_2136_zps3959aa82.jpg

• Like 1

the bit that pokes out is where the power goes.

Best thing I can suggest to you is this....

Get yourself an old (or cheap) 12v socket extension, it should have a positive and negative lead (seperated) going from the 12v plug over to the socket.

Cut the socket extension off so your left with the 12v plug and the two wires. Stretch them out (and cut one about an inch shorter than the other (this will protect the fuses).

Plug the 12v plug into the socket, and then touch the two electrodes (you can see through the plastic in the top pic). If you get them the right way around it will light up the light.

Then using Lenny's info above and attach a positive and negative wire to the spade connectors (crimp it) then attach it to the positive pole, and the same with the negative pole.

Then you just need to tap into the positive and negative wires of the centre as Lenny did.

If you are not confident with splicing into wires, I highly recommend the "PosiTap" (go for the red ones). These are so simple to use, and they put a single pin prick hole into the wire and tap into it to get power. They are the best I have found yet for keeping your wire in good health and giving a secure connection (I wish I had found them sooner!). I now use them for all my mods where I need to tap into a wire!

• Like 1

Then you just need to tap into the positive and negative wires of the centre as Lenny did.

They came fitted to my model as standard mate, i didn't retro fit them myself.

Sorry Lenny, that should have said "said" as opposed to "did"

• Like 1

Sorry Lenny, that should have said "said" as opposed to "did"

:lol: such errors can greatly affect ones message inbox,

And both are small but strog words, i often said id kill vickiC but i never did :)

haha, touche ;)

• Like 1

Hey guys haven't ordered any parts just yet. Really like the 'positap' gear, thanks so much for that link - not confident in chopping into the wires. I just wanted to confirm, the sticking out bit on the vanity light is where the power needs to go (one thing I did know), but will I need to butcher the light a little bit? Only the metal connectors ON the light are about halfway down that plastic sticky out bit :/

...slowly learning...

Should be alright without chopping, you should be able to push the female conncetor down, but there is no harm in sanding / filing the connector area down to make it easier to access but as it is, it helps to secure it in place.

You just have one pin for earth and one for live and jobs a good un

These are the pack I bought (positaps)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-X-Posi-Tap-Connectors-0-2-1Mm2-/171332246631?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item27e4329c67

They are more expensive than scotchlocks, but are worth it!

Couple of pics of factory cable and connector (driver side only)

gallery_21712_1080_3562.jpg

gallery_21712_1080_5064.jpg

Having had a shufty at the connector and the pins in the light unit they look remarkably like the 3-pin connectors used in PCs for switches, lights and onboard Speakers.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club