Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2004 1.6, Revs Hunting And Speedo Reading Zero

matthew.bailey185

Hi

I have a 2004 1.6L petrol focus and have the following issues:

- Revs hunt at 2200rpm

- Speedometer reads 0 but fluctuates with revs

- Speedometer intermittently fluctuates whilst driving

- RPM's drop to below 700 when clutch is dipped i.e. approaching a roundabout, but then rise again

I suspected the VSS so replaced with a brand new one from ford with no success. Also I have removed the dial cluster and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and moved sensor wiring loom away from HT leads and coil pack to eliminate cross talk.

With the VSS disconnected the issues are still present.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Matt

Sounds like a faulty instrument cluster to me? Unfortunately you will be in the catchment area for the faulty batches

Thanks , just out of interest I managed to carry out a cluster test by holding the trip button In and turning the ignition to stage 2 , all gauges do a full sweep, if there is a fault should the code be displayed when the millage is displayed ?

if you keep pressing reset you will go through the menus and on to the DTC's, but It probably wont show any particular errors!

Yeah definitely agree , test showed a d041 & d123 DTC error code , which tbh did not help me a great deal as I already new the issue. I noticed my exhaust was blowing considerabley on the back box , managed to bandage up and now the rev hunting has reduced. Woulda simple exhaust leakage cause this as it is a the rear of the exhaust ?

Checked alternator also and smart charge circuit both seem fine , read 14.7 v with smart charge connected and 13.8v disconnected.

Gunna go for changing the instrument cluster ! The only thing after that is wiring and PCM :-(

Could the issue be the alternator ? Changing the cluster anyways

Alternator is possible, but I would say if you can afford to - get the cluster repaired anyway, £80 may seem a lot but the cluster is going to suffer in the future (its almost inevitable).

The ability for the car to breathe inwards and outwards is all a means of affecting things like hunting. Split hoses, manifolds or pipes can affect it, along with fuel problems.

I changed the cluster today with a refurbished unit (The unit obliviously wasn't programmed with correct mileage etc.,). Symptoms were exactly the same.

Had an auto electrician look at it, as he had an IDS system, he assures me it is more than likely the target the sensor picks up in the gearbox..... umm as far as i'm aware there is no target as such, but what exactly does it pick up ??. I don't want to put in a refurbished box if we are barking up the wrong tree.

Any ideas ??

The vehicle speed sensor?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Yep the speed sensor?

Also just to throw into the mix, its using a lead acid battery instead of a calcium type.... really clutching at straws here.

If it was the speed sensor at fault, you would notice that as your driving along at any speed, the speedo just drops to zero and remains there for a few seconds, then comes back to life. All other guages will be fine, but the symptoms you describe certainly pointed towards the cluster, its possible that you have both of the unfortunate MK1 failures at the same time.

Didnt realise that we're in the new members section, so I'm just going to pop this over to the Focus section.