Hairy Member

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 Zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

No prob let me know if theyre any good, used to do my own and friends/fam but changed trades and dont have the equipment anymore

#19 Valleyboy22

Valleyboy22

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Name: Christopher
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:07 AM

Gonna ring them later n see when I can get it in. Hopefully the next day or two because it's getting hot out now and could do with it lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

#20 Valleyboy22

Valleyboy22

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Well I took it to the garage and he done leak test before the re gas and it come bk I have a leak? Said he will need it for a few hours to check it and no doubt that will cost? Don't know what to do because want it done but if it's gonna cost a lot then can't really afford it. He said in a focus it's common this pipe he pointed at by the air con refill cap goes and can cost £80 from ford? Any suggestions or help on this please all??
Cheers

#21 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,984 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

If you dont have it done the compressor will cease so to fix it then youll have to get a new compressor new seals a flush of the system a new pipe and a refill and you will pay £300 just for the compressor alone

#22 bry0586

bry0586

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Name: Bryan
  • Ford Model: focus1.6 tdci sport

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

sorry to highjack the thread, im kind of new to a car with a/c, used to just the normal blowers, when my a/c comes on i hear a hum which im guessing is that, but just seems the same as having it on/off? what am i missing?

#23 theduke

theduke

Hairy Member

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 Zetec

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

artsoct79 is right it will never fix itself plus if you keep trying the a/c the compressor will over heat worst case scenario it will seize or maybe blow the thermal fuse in the comp clutch/magnet sorrys its nothing simple. your profile pic shows your car in the dealers is it still under warranty?

Wish i had my refrigeration equipment at times like this hate seeing people struggle when its something pretty simple to fix with a bit of knowledge/experience .at least they didnt regas it and send you packing only to find it doesnt work a week later?

Sorry bry0586 could need regassing or worse have a leak as above egt it  checked

#24 bry0586

bry0586

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Name: Bryan
  • Ford Model: focus1.6 tdci sport

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

i'll have a look around for checks/regassers

#25 Valleyboy22

Valleyboy22

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

Got the car in January from Evans Halshaw with a 3 month warranty so it's up. I have mailed the garage and explained the situation and I'm disappointed for a car of that age it's packed in basically. I have asked to consider a free check and possibly fix because I aint had the car that long and only done 2000 moles in it. I'm sure there is a trading act I seen on TV which goes in our favour?? Anyone shed a light on this if so??

Cheers

#26 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,650 posts
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

I would email them and call them and advise that under the sale of goods act, you are entitled to a 6 month period of guarantee and that you wish to excercise your rights under the sale of goods act to have this vehicle reviewed.

If you need to quote anything, quote section 14 - satisfactory quality. Advise that the vehicle is now going to cost you money to be diagnosed and repaired and that the sale of goods act states that for the first 6 months of purchase the burdon of proof that the fault lies with the vehicle is assumed to have been a fault laying with the vehicle on the day of purchase. Advise that you are more than happy to reject the vehicle on this specification unless the vehicle is repaired to a satisfactory quality, advising that whilst 3 months warranty was offered, they still have an obligation to fulfil the sale of goods act as mentioned.

#27 Valleyboy22

Valleyboy22

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Brill thanks will do. Let u know how I get off.

#28 sonic113

sonic113

FORD FANATIC

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Name: Sonic
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk2.5

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

James i like where you coming from there. I thought that if they said 3 months then that was it but if sales of good act is stating 6 months that's good to know. I will have to read up on the sales of good act because it seems that it may be handy to know where you stand on some occasion when their a problem and may come in handy with anything not just cars.

good luck Christopher hope all works out.

#29 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,650 posts
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

Yeah I asked the question and got the support of TheDarkKnight" off this forum, hes studying this little gem for when he passes his exams and starts sticking it to the company man!

The main factors you need to know with the sale of goods act is:

1) any item sold from new should be without severe defect and covered by standard with a warranty, but the terms can be reasonable and offered by the manufacturer (for example, you buy a 40" TV and find a shed load of dead pixels, that needs to be replaced, but the company may say that up to 5 dead pixels is acceptable)

2) Any used item sold must be of safe and useable condition and without serious defect, and must be of satisfactory quality (this is where section 14 comes in to play) - so you cannot buy a car from a garage, and 3 days later the gearbox, engine and airbags all explode and your left to foot the bill.

3) Used vehicles specifically have a 6 month period in which any defects that appear in this time period from the date of sale / collection are assumed to have been there since the day the vehicle was sold. Its down to the dealer / trader to prove that the defect was not there, in which case 90% of the time they will just do the repair, as an engineers report ontop of diagnostics and repairs makes it impractical

4) If you are out of pocket for a defect, it is reasonable to ask for a full reimbursement and to then negotiate with the seller in order to refund part of the fee if not all. I had this recently when my mondy's compressor went up the spout. I had it diagnosed, confirmed, repaired and regassed. I requested the diagnostics fee to be reimbursed as I wouldnt have needed to pay for it if it wasnt a problem which was reimbursed. I also asked for the regass fee to be reimbursed, but was advised that this was seen as a consumable item, and to be frank, as much as I wanted the full refund, I wasnt going to bother taking the case to court over £60.

5) You can claim under the SOGA after the time period elapses of the standard cover (new car standard manufacturer warranty, used car 6 months legal rights etc). However, you would be expected to pay for an independant assessment of the vehcicle, by a qualified and certified professional. If the report supports your case, then you can have the vehicle repaired by the dealer / manufacturer and all costs (such as the report) reimbursed as the defect is seen and proven to have been there when you took ownership of the vehcle.

6) You can reject goods within a reasonable time period if they fail to meet expectations, presuming there is sufficient reasoning. For example, saying you dont like that wheel is scratched so you want a refund wont stand up, however, if you are not satisfied that the air con is sold as working, fails to be, and the trader will not repair it and subsequently breaches their obligations under the SOGA, then you can reject the vehicle and request a full refund, and can also claim for any assosciated costs (for example, tax disc reimbursement, if you live in a permit area and where charged a fee to change the number plate, this could also be requested) but this would be down to negotiation. The dealer could state that the amount of miles you put on the clock has halved the value, in which case you would need to go through an independant assessment, review and report, and then look to claim these back. Most of the time though, if you get this far, you should be prepared to take the case to the small claims court, as not all dealers will roll over, especially if they are an independant trader, and would be willing to fight you for it.

Generally, these are the key factors, there are a lot of other stipulations and protections and the SOGA generally covers every item out there. but to keep it short and sweet - anything new should be in safe working order and without reasonable defect, anything used covered by the SOGA should be of satisfactory quality considering the age and expected condition of the vehicle and without severe defect. I am currently going through a second claim for the airbag, as I have the airbag warning light, this has been an intermittent issue since early in the cars ownership and given that its an MOT failure, the trader has acknowledged and authorised diagnostics and hopefully subsequent repair of the vehicle.

The act is huge and covers a lot of information, generally though, my philosophy is this "if you can't scald them with science, then you baffle them with bull faeces" - i.e. if you dont know the entire act verse for verse, just know a little bit and argue the point. Most of the time, the person you are dealing with wont know anymore about the SOGA than you, and so will get scared off by the fact that you seem to know what your talking about, and most of the time will be more likely to cave in to your reasonable requests - getting legal representation would cost them, and it would be too much hassle and expense to them to argue and drag it out.

These are lessons I personally learned the hard way!

#30 Valleyboy22

Valleyboy22

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Evan Halshaw replied saying they looking into it. Will play the sales act if they say no. Gutted more that anything because I feel the air conditioning should not go considering the age of the car. Know it's not a new one, but it's not old old.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users