Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Jacking Points And Axel Stands/ramps ???

sonic113

Ok been reading different things and would like to know where do you guys jack up your focus and what points under the car do you use the axle stands at. I usually jack it up at each side on the sill just under a little with a few blocks of wood on the jack then use my axle stands under the large bolt for the suspension arm. Been wondering is this ok or maybe lead to damage so not sure. (See image)

On rear of the car though I keep it on the jack on the sill (I know use a stand as safety....)but Where do you guyd put the stand at the rear? I saw a few pics of them in the center of the rear sub frame is this is this an ok spot to hold the weight?

I was thinking also of getting new axel stands due to my old ones being nackered. Can anyone recommend a good set and whats better/safer rachet or pin type?
does any one also use those rubber pads for the top of the jacks so that the jack does not damage car when jacking? if so are they any good nd where do you get them?
One last thing I was looking at getting some service ramps as it would be hand just to drive car up and put axel stands under in stead of messing with the jack. whatsthe best ones I have read not great reviews on ones you buy being they are too narrow or not strongly built but I have also come across a few cases here people are budling there own from wood? I was thinking about going down this road, as anyone done this?

Cheers guys.

If jacking the fron I position the jack on the cross member that run roughly in line with the gear stick if doing the front and on the cross member that the rear suspension is attached if doing rear that way you can lift the whole back end in one and position the stands either side . Ont front usually position stand under the wish bone where it bolts to the chassis to avoid them slipping .

I'll have my Mk 1 jacked up tomorrow. I'll take a photo for you. There is a part of the chassis I use just back from the wish bone assembly under the pedals (and appropriate position on the other side) I use.

Does the car manual not give recommended support positions? Haynes manual has them as well. What Marque of focus do you have?

I use 2 x 6 ton ratchet stands as well. They stand at 36cm minimum I believe.

I have the mk2.5 focus 2009. I do use the bolts of the wishbone to hold the stands at the front on just want to see what way everyone else does it on their cars. any links to decent priced axel stands??

I have the mk2.5 focus 2009. I do use the bolts of the wishbone to hold the stands at the front on just want to see what way everyone else does it on their cars. any links to decent priced axel stands??

The Halfords ratchet axle stands are good - would need to check what they are priced at though

Thanks I will have a look on their website. do you guys think the ratchet stands are safe enough?? always been used to seeing the pin on the old style ones but everywhere now seem,s to be and use ratchet type ones. a local garage that works at lorry's use ratchet type ones there so I guess if they are good for that they would be grand for a standard weight focus.

Think Stoney had a picture of a mk2's jacking/axle stand points.

As for ramps, I got a set of Clarke 2t ramps (with extensions) for around fifty quid. I already had a set of wheel chocks. The ramps make life a lot easier for underbody work where you don't need wheels off.

Just line them up and drive onto them - handbrake on, in 1st and rear wheels chocked - total time: about 2 minutes

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks I will have a look on their website. do you guys think the ratchet stands are safe enough?? always been used to seeing the pin on the old style ones but everywhere now seem,s to be and use ratchet type ones. a local garage that works at lorry's use ratchet type ones there so I guess if they are good for that they would be grand for a standard weight focus.

Yeah they are perfectly safe - you have the choice of 2 or 3 tonne. I have both as they do have their uses. For general work though 2 tonne will do.

They are much more convenient than the old pin type as they have quite a few positions to lock into and your not faffing about with a pin

I have got the 2 tonne axel stands with the pin from Halfords. Think they was £25 at the time.

I also use the bolt on wishbone same as you.

I'm never too sure where to put them.on the rear though.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

thanks for reply guys.

sean have you any pics of your focus on the ramps? also any links to on where to purchase them?

I have came across 2 sets of stands that i may be interested in. do you thinks either of these would be grand:

set 1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-64431-2-Tonne-Ratchet-Style-Stands/dp/B0001K9Z50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403126315&sr=8-1&keywords=axel+stands

set 2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-763620-Stand-2-Piece-Tonne/dp/B000WTHL42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403126315&sr=8-2&keywords=axel+stands

for the price I think either is not bad.

I haven't got any pics of the car on the ramps, but these are the ones:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/car-ramps-cr2

The wide version has an extra 1/2t capacity, but the dimensions appear to be the same on the listing.

Also, get these as well - or else you will damage the bumper!!

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/car-ramp-extensions

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

just took the plunge and ordered a set of the ratchet style axle stands. My old pin type ones had seen their day lol!

I got these ones due to the price and the fact they are rated 3 tonne per stand and i have to say I am very pleased with them. they are built pretty well and strong and the price was great. I had looked at others but the 3 tonne is what sold me on these.

Here the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-763620-Stand-2-Piece-Tonne/dp/B000WTHL42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403990733&sr=8-2&keywords=axel+stands

can any one recommend a good jumbo socket set ranging from sizes 22 or 23 +. I need one for the rear hub nut on the focus and though i might as well just get a new set.

What's your price range on the socket set?

1/2 or 3/4? Also I take it you mostly need 6 point (hex) and not 12 point (bi hex)?

I don't think it matters wether its 1\2 inch or 3/4 inch but maybe 3/4 would be stronger but the overall price might decide which one to go for but either would be fine.

Again As for hex 6 point /bi hex 12 point Im not sure but any ones I was looking at was all bi hex 12 point i think. What's your thoughts on this?

Price budget is a big factor, I will mostly only use it for car wheel hub nuts and as I service our family cars it will mostly only be used once maybe twice a year so I don't Really want to spent a fortune on this but at the same time I want something that will do I the job when required so I don't really know about the budget but basically the best deal I can get under the £100 mark if possible.

Thanks

I don't think it matters wether its 1\2 inch or 3/4 inch but maybe 3/4 would be stronger but the overall price might decide which one to go for but either would be fine.

Again As for hex 6 point /bi hex 12 point Im not sure but any ones I was looking at was all bi hex 12 point i think. What's your thoughts on this?

Price budget is a big factor, I will mostly only use it for car wheel hub nuts and as I service our family cars it will mostly only be used once maybe twice a year so I don't Really want to spent a fortune on this but at the same time I want something that will do I the job when required so I don't really know about the budget but basically the best deal I can get under the £100 mark if possible.

Thanks

It's got to be hex for me, bi hex is useless on those very stubborn hex bolts and likely to chew them up! There are occasions though where you get bj hex bolts, can't say I remember of any ford having them..

What about something like this,

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/181246516583?nav=SEARCH

Then you could get a 600mm breaker bar from Halfords to go with it!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=871139&categoryId=165469&langId=-1

+1 for the hex. I'm yet to come across a bi hex on my focus.

My uncles !Removed! Vauxhall van is full of them.

thanks for replies. I came across this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633663-Socket-4-inch-21-Piece/dp/B000LFRZSO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404150026&sr=8-5&keywords=silverline+socket+set

Its a lot cheaper than most and I will only be using it for the hub nuts so think it may do my job. what you think?

can u recommend a desent 3/8 torque wrench even a 1/2 one with an adopter will do.

cheers

Looks good enough for the job mate.

As to a torque wrench try amazon and eBay. I'll keep my eye out for 1 for you.

This is the one I've got on my watch list on eBay. Soon to be purchased.

If it's a torque wrench for hub nuts and the likes, I would get a decent 1/2 one. Probably looking at one that does 250Nm+ Some front hub nuts are ridiculously tight

Karl, I think that one looks good. I may actually may get the same one as I think that some of silver lines range isnt to bad for the price.

I have also noticed that a lot of stuff from tool company's seems to come from the same place but is just re badged and recolored with ther own theme (maybe not so much snap on and the likes of the top companies). an example is the Halfords ratchet stands.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-ratchet-axle-stands

My brother as these and they are identical in every way to the silverline ones i got, only Halfords ones are black with their logo and states 2 tonne but I think that just to keep them right legally incase anything ever did happen. But I have noticed this with a fair amount of tools and gadgets (ie tyre pressure/depth gauges ect)

It goes to show though to do some research on anything before buying as you may be buying the same product but the only difference is the price.

• Like 1

Couldn't of explained it better myself.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club