Meerkatonacid

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: S-MAX
  • Year: 2006

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have recently bought a 2.0 petrol  56 S-Max which i love. My question is can any owners please tell me whereabouts on the temp gauge should the needle be on normal running?  What is the temp for the other lines? Please see attached photo which is after sitting in slow traffic for a few minutes. Never seems to go over this position and overheat

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1279.JPG

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 ed12

ed12

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 321 posts
  • Name: Ed
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Climate

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

Looks right to me. Both of my focus' have been just below half way :)

#3 Meerkatonacid

Meerkatonacid

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Thing is it only gets to there when stuck in traffic and goes no further than this. It usually sits on the line up from the 60 and this is when driving say on the motorway

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,078 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

Hi Gary,

When your moving your getting the air cool affect on the radiator, when your sat in traffic idling, you dont have this luxury which is why its running hotter. However, anything up to about 105 degrees is normal, if it stays there most the time in slow moving traffic then its normal, anything less than that (between 60 - 100) is a very good place to be.

#5 Meerkatonacid

Meerkatonacid

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

Hi Gary,

When your moving your getting the air cool affect on the radiator, when your sat in traffic idling, you dont have this luxury which is why its running hotter. However, anything up to about 105 degrees is normal, if it stays there most the time in slow moving traffic then its normal, anything less than that (between 60 - 100) is a very good place to be.

Hi James

Thanks for getting back to me. You know what its like when you buy a new car you listen to every little noise and study the temp gauge. As stated the needle in photo is the highest it gets and that was taken today when 20 degrees outside and stuck in traffic. Usually going down the motorway to work it sits around the second white line. What is the line after the 60 temperature wise? I guess the one at the 6 o'clock position is 90?

#6 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,078 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

they are 15 degrees incriments, so you go 60, 75, 90, 105, 120 :)

#7 Meerkatonacid

Meerkatonacid

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

they are 15 degrees incriments, so you go 60, 75, 90, 105, 120 :)

So my car is running at 75 under normal conditions and raises to 90 when in traffic. So you think i have nothing to worry about and no need to change thermostat? Thanks

#8 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,078 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

I personally think its running fine.

thermostat replacement would only be necessary if the fan is always on like a wind turbine, or if the temperature goes up and down like a rollercoaster for little reason.

If you want to be cautious, then you can check the coolant expansion tank cap is not cracked or damaged, but I suspect you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If you bought the car from a garage, you will be entitled to 6 months warranty, so if anything is wrong, they will be obligated to fix it.

#9 Meerkatonacid

Meerkatonacid

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

I personally think its running fine.

thermostat replacement would only be necessary if the fan is always on like a wind turbine, or if the temperature goes up and down like a rollercoaster for little reason.

If you want to be cautious, then you can check the coolant expansion tank cap is not cracked or damaged, but I suspect you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If you bought the car from a garage, you will be entitled to 6 months warranty, so if anything is wrong, they will be obligated to fix it.

Thanks James

Only other reading is when needle is a cats whisker under 75 but that is only if AC is on and on cold setting.

Think i will take your advice as i have a feeling you know what you are talking about :-)

#10 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,078 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

Air con does reduce the temperature a little as the compressor is operating and the liquid refrigerant takes some of the heat out.

I certainly wouldnt worry about it at all :)

#11 Meerkatonacid

Meerkatonacid

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

Thanks James  :)

#12 gregers

gregers

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Name: greg
  • Ford Model: smax titainium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

also once you had a run in it,do the on board diagnostic check.scroll through the menus and see what the actuall temp of the car is.

#13 Meerkatonacid

Meerkatonacid

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

also once you had a run in it,do the on board diagnostic check.scroll through the menus and see what the actuall temp of the car is.

Did not know you could do that? Any instructions :-)

#14 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,078 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

if you have the trip computer, turn the ignition off, press and hold the reset button as you start the car, keep hold of reset (it will reset your trip odo) then the car will enter TEST mode, let go of reset. then you can press the reset button to circulate through each of the options, and you can find the temperature in there - thats the real temperature rather than the rough guide on the gauge.

#15 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Air con does reduce the temperature a little as the compressor is operating and the liquid refrigerant takes some of the heat out.

I certainly wouldnt worry about it at all :)

Its normally the reverse of this - the heat that is taken out of the AC system has to be dissapated ( its a heat exchanger

the cabin gets colder, the heat that is sucked out has to go somewhere) it is normally dumped in front of the engine radiator, raising the engine temp, not reducing it, thats why the fan comes on when the AC is switched on

Modern cars may run cooler due to emmisions/ economy - deisels normally run hotter  than petrol-engined cars, on both, there is an optimum temperature for economy, and optimum temp for emmisions, and an optimum temp for performance, the running temp is often  compromise between this, though emmisions/ economy are high priorities these days

To give you and example, some  truck owners were fitting special thermostats to their diesel trucks to get better economy, at the expense of some performance

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users