Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Personal Plate Question

DanGull

So the decision on whether to buy a personal plate or not has been taken out of my hands - my mum has bought one for me!

We've had personal plates in the family before but I've never had one. She says that it's best to get the car registered with a normal plate and then transfer it - I'm inclined to say it's better and easier to get the dealer to register the plate as the original number plate of the car.

The last thing I want is to have to wait 4/5 days after getting my new car to change the number plate!!!

What do people think about this?

Never had a personal plate so would not know although when you sell the car and you take the plate off then it would revert to the correct 'normal' plate (09 or 59). Haivng said that, if you are getting a new one surely you want people to know that so maybe have it on its genuine plate until the next issue comes out and then change it over?

What is your new plate ? (if you don't mind me asking :) )

I am thinking that by the time mine is delivered it is going to be a 59 plate but still in two minds about the whole personal plate thing.

Do I get one?

What do I get if I do get one?

Do I have it from new?

Do I get one from March 2010 when the 59 plate ceases?

Or do I spend the money on rear parking sensors/scuff plates/a green iPod to match my Squeeze green car???

So the decision on whether to buy a personal plate or not has been taken out of my hands - my mum has bought one for me!

We've had personal plates in the family before but I've never had one. She says that it's best to get the car registered with a normal plate and then transfer it - I'm inclined to say it's better and easier to get the dealer to register the plate as the original number plate of the car.

The last thing I want is to have to wait 4/5 days after getting my new car to change the number plate!!!

What do people think about this?

i agree with your mum on that mate, i have just put personal number plates onto my Fiesta, i had the plates on retention from my previous car and it was fairly straight forward to change them over onto this. . All i had to do was fill out the retention form and send it off to the DVLA, once they have changed the records they will send you back a tax disc with the personalised number plate that you have. you then need to get your plates printed up, fitted to the car and change the tax disc, send the original back to the DVLA. the whole process took me about 10 days, as somebody said, i kept the 58 plates on my car when i bought it because i wanted to show it was a new car, but when the 09 came out, i changed it over. in my opinion it is well worth doing and adds a nice little touch to your car. hope this helps

Hi all, thanks fo replying.

Ballie - that's good to know, thanks. Were you able to drive during your 10 day changeover period?

Michael - not at all T222 DSC, other half's first intial - our anniversary - my intials.

Paul - if there are other bits you want for your car, they'd be higher on my list of priorities than a personal plate! I'm not too bothered about showing everyone the car is brand new. If I get a late August delivery then it'll only be on the latest plate for a very short time anyway!

I have my car on an 09 plate but have just changed them over to my personal plates this week.

I would personally have them on the 09/59 plate when you get it as otherwise, when you sell the car it takes longer as your car will not have been registered on a normal plate, the DVLA will then have to give you a registration plate for it.

I had my 09 plate on it first and this plate will go back on it when I sell (saves you money on number plates!)

The retention fee is £125 which you pay everytime you take the plates off of a car.

My Dad bought the plate for me and luckily my parking sensors were free but I dont know which one I would choose.

As you know from my email the parking sensors have improved my driving and confidence dramatically but the registration plate is something that is unique to me and something I will keep forever (won't be the same when i'm married of course!)

I also had my car on an 09 plate as I wasn't exactly sure when the car was coming as there was such a problem getting mine!

Hope this helps.

Poohbear

We brought the car and Fords did the transfer from our car that we were part x in onto the new fiesta, however it took quite a long while about 6 weeks, so we ended up having the car registered as 58 plate first then transferring it. I think ours took longer as we were transferring from one car to another.

Dan- yes i was still able to drive the car because i had sent the retention form off to be changed over. as far as im aware there should be no reason for your car to be off of the road at all when putting personalised plates onto your car.

And Michelle i had exactly the same problem when i transfered the plates from my original Fiesta to the Clio that i have just traded in, glad that its all sorted now though, will try and put a pic up when this weather brightens up and i get a chance to clean my car. . see what people think of my plate :)

We brought the car and Fords did the transfer from our car that we were part x in onto the new fiesta, however it took quite a long while about 6 weeks, so we ended up having the car registered as 58 plate first then transferring it. I think ours took longer as we were transferring from one car to another.

I did the same as you Michelle; my plate was on the Astra so I asked them to transfer it for me so in the end because of that and Xmas it delayed collection of the car for a little longer.

At that time though, lead times weren't anywhere near what they are now......... ;)

My Fiesta was registered with my private plate, dealer organised it - the fee was £80. Looked a bit odd when I picked it up as my Ka was parked beside it and they both had the same reg. It only took about 5 extra days. Personally I found this a lot easier than changing it from one plate to another.