Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 Tdci Mpg

edd78

hi

i was looking to but a focus 1.6 tdci. I was wondering what mpg does other owners get from there focus

at the moment i have a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost which i am getting about 45 mpg round town and about 50-60 on long journeys doing about 60 mph. The reason i was looking to buy a focus i am looking for something bigger with more space. I thought about the focus 125 ecoboost but don't know if it would be ok with a full load

The person I bought my current Focus off runs a 1L EcoBoost Fiesta and they were getting 45mpg around town too.

I'm on my second Mk2.5 (the Mk2.5 was made from 2008 to 2011) 1.6Tdci and my driving pattern (75% motorway, 25% urban) results in a yearly average of 62mpg. To put that into perspective due to rush-hour traffic volumes my motorway speeds are a maximum of about 60-65mph and the urban parts 30mph or less. The weekly (specifically last week) high point is 67mpg (summer tyres) and the weekly low point was 53mpg (winter tyres).

Be careful if you're thinking of buying a used Focus Mk2.5 1.6L or 2.0L Tdci that is flagged as "Stage IV" emissions (check via the Ford ETIS website) as both vehicles need the Diesel Particulate Filter replacing every 75000 miles and a refill of the EOLYS fluid every 37500 miles. The EOLYS fluid is expensive and nasty stuff (best not to get any on your skin) as it's around £125 for 5L and the EOLYS tank takes about 2.5L. Look between the rear suspension cross-member and the fuel tank - is there an extra tank present (yes = EOLYS).

A Focus Tdci that is flagged as 'Stage V' emissions should have a ceramic DPF (doesn't need replacing every 75000 miles), nor do they require the EOLYS fluid.

The general concenus of opinion is that the 1.8L Tdci is better as it doesn't have a DPF fitted at all, but it will return a lower fuel economy; I'm guessing I'd be averaging about 10mpg less than the 1.6L Tdci.

Low mileage (10000 or less) and urban driving aren't the best conditions for running a diesel with a DPF as it will tend to clog up with soot and may result in 'Limp Mode' (restricted revs and power). A monthly 15 to 20 minute run at around 3000rpm up the motorway may clear the soot out; e.g. keep the car in 4th at around 70mph rather than change up to 5th. If the DPF gets too clogged up then a visit to a suitable garage will be required.

HTH

i have the 2008 1.8tdci... have subtle mods, and round town driving getting between 41-45 mpg.... on a good run i can expect between 65-70 mpg.....

serviced every 5k/twice a year regardless, fuel filter once a year... you keep on top of maintenance and it will do you good.... yes i have no dpf so no worries there, and the 1.8 is ford's own engine, not like the 1.6/2.0 tdci..... but for performance i would go for the 2.0 as it is more tune-able than the 1.8....

<everything>

I agree with everything Captain Haddock wrote. I have the 1.6TDCI, and get around 52 MPG with a mixture of town and motorway driving (motorway not being too sensible). Can get it unto 58MPG if I chill it out a bit.

Regarding the 37,500 Eolys interval, you can get away with longer. Presumably it's to allow for people to put a tenner in at a time. I know someone who always fills their tank with diesel, and the first they knew they had a DPF was when the fluid ran out at 70,000 miles isn! Not that I'm recommending this, but it looks as though you can get away with refilling less often if you always run it down then brim it.

Just missed out on the coated DPF on mine (Dec 2008!). Had my Eolys dome at 37,500 just to be sure; I like a trouble free life!

Hmm, I'd forgotten about the fuel flap sensor so the "just put a tenner's worth in" may be a factor in the period bewteen EOLYS refills as will opening/closing the fuel flap if you fastidiously clean the car.

So I think it could also be said if your car has a magnet in the fuel flap arm then it will probably require EOLYS fluid as my current (Stage V emissions) Focus doesn't have the magnet or the fuel flap sensor.

Also I heartily agree with the extra bit of servicing that Martin suggests; I change the oil and oil+air filters myself every 6000 miles (cleaner oil is better for turbo longevity) and have fuel filter changed at the annual service.

hi thanks for the reply's i was looking to get the focus on a 13 plate. what is the cost for servicing and at what intervals

regards

edd

2012 Focus TDCi 1.6 Econetic

Yesterday Bournemouth to London maximum speed 105mph average speed on M3 80mph

fuel consumption during the trip 55mpg .

How do you make over 60mpg on motorway ??

that's good figures for the speed you where doing

@MarioMk3

60mpg on the motorway is simple to do - don't drive like an F1 driver :P

Give yourself room to anticipate the numpty ahead of you constantly stepping on the brakes because they're trying to plant their bonnet in the back end of the vehicle in front. Leaving yourself room means you can ease off the throttle instead of braking and simply converting your fuel into brake dust.

2005 focus 1.6 tdci ..... 46.9mpg around town...haven't done any motorway yet...... Dpf removed .... getting remap on the 27th of this month.

How to keep proper speed arround 60mph on motorway when 90% drivers doing 80mph ??

very bad feeling ;)

Captain Haddock

good advice I suppose , thanks

hi mariomk3

when i am on motorway i don't try and keep with the speed other drivers are doing i stay at a speed that i am happy with i suppose i must be one of the 10% that don't do 80 mph

hi landy39 how much did it cost to get the dpf removed It's something i will consider later on once the car is finished with the warranty is it ok with mot's with the dpf filter removed

hi landy39 how much did it cost to get the dpf removed It's something i will consider later on once the car is finished with the warranty is it ok with mot's with the dpf filter removed

i got my dpf removed and engine remapped as my dpf needed replacing. cost £350 all in. passed its mot last week.

Edd78...... i removed the Dpf myself ...... for the remap and Dpf software removal ...... cost £195.

I've also blanked the Egr valve.

did you go out to get the DPF removed, or did you actually buy software yourself to do the job of that and the remap?

i removed the Dpf from the exhaust myself ........ got a company coming on friday to do the remap and Dpf software removal.

Been running mine for 2 weeks now with no Dpf in and running fine,mpg has improved and pulls better.

i am glad it can pass a mot with the dpf filter removed. Is there any difference in performance and mpg. Do you have to inform the insurance company. I would prefer to take it to a garage for the removal and remap prices are ok considering the price you would pay for a new dpf filter

you should really advise the insurance company, but as its illegal, I would be thinking you should consider all options carefully!

hi jeebowhite

thanks for the great advice as i have heard of lots of people getting the dpf filter removed i thought i might be legal but it goes to show you need to seek advice before removing the filter

thats the one, thats why we would these days advise from an official perspective (as a representative of the forum) that you dont get it done :p

thanks for pointing that out to me as i would not have thought of checking it out as i have heard of lots of people getting them removed, i definitely wont be getting this removed now so thanks for the advice

It used to be legal, and was offered as a legal service, but then the regs changed and it was outlawed.

As I say people seem to be able to get away with it, but its down to each to their own decision!

maybe people just think it's still legal i thought so my self until now, i personally won't be taking the risk so it's worth checking out prior to getting any work done