Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tdci Zetec S Dual Mass Flywheel Issues

chimpstrongbow

Hi all,

First time posting and I wish it were under better circumstances.

I have recently had my car in for a service and MOT and the mechanic has advised that my DMF needs replacing (advisory). Having since been told this I have started to become aware of the problem myself. Currently the car starts and drives fine, there is slight shuddering when idle and also when I'm traveling at 2000rpm but I tend to change gears at around that mark. Is this wrong? Can anyone advise the best way to drive to drag the most life out of my DMF?

The other and main point of this post is how long can I leave seeing to the DMF before it actually fails? Should and can I drive with this for say 4-5 months (Average 1000-1200 miles per month) as it is at the early stage? The car has only covered 58,400 miles so I thought something like this would of lasted longer but I do drive in a city for 15-20 minutes 5 days a week.

As a lot of you may know this is an expensive job and I've had quotes ranging from £650-£1200 to get it fixed (DMF,clutch, and bearings replaced). I reckon it will take 4-5 months to save the cash for the job since I also need to live during this time.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I would leave it until it gets a bit worse.

£1200 is ridiculous! IIRC on the focus the subframe can stay in place so even £650 isn't exactly cheap. I can remember pricing this up for a 1.8tdci 2006 focus to do on the drive at home, I'm sure including labour for myself it was only about £500!

Edit, as I thought parts come to £350 including 3 piece clutch kit, flywheel and gearbox seals.

Where in fife are you?

My Focus MK1 DMF went at 44000 :(.Cost me a tad under £1200.

just out of curiosity what are the tell tail signs of the dmf failure?

Neighbours mondeo lasted a few weeks before it totally went they got another car due to the costs so i think its a case of it could go anytime

Thanks for quick reply guys.

Stef123: I stay in Burntisland but its close to Dunfermline which is more known. Better still half hour drive to Edinburgh.

The quote of £1200, I was shocked about but that was from Arnold Clark (I was asking around). I will be leaving it till gets worse then just don't want the car to get anymore injuries if the DMF does completely fail. I knew the parts weren't cheap and this job apparently takes a good few hours to do which I just simply wont try doing myself, I have a Haynes manual but I'm no mechanic.

If anyone could recommend a mechanic, garage or company which knows what they are doing in Scotland I would appreciate that. Would travel down south if the deals are better.

martyntdci, I have noticed that the car makes more vibrations while idle and the car shudders through some of the rev range (1500-2000rpm) funny that over 2000rpm its not as noticeable but still not quite right.

Another car is not an option for me I'm afraid. I paid 7k for this car about a year ago and I'm stuck with it for the time being :( Also I do love the car just not the DMF.

I've heard people talk about SMF conversions but heard a lot of bad press about this too. Anyone bite the bullet and try this out?

My mechanic friends have mentioned the SMF conversion. But not really delved into the details

With my DMF failure, I didn't have any warning as far as I could tell. Got into into the car one morning and I couldn't start it. :angry:

strange this, as i get a judder around the 1800rpm in 1st and 2nd gear, but only if it stays at that particular speed...

if i go slower there is nothing, if it gets booted (mainly the case) there is nothing, it just happens when your like crawling ie 15mph in 1st......

Do you think this is a DMF issue or something else?

Sounds like the clutch or/and DMF could be starting to wear out. I've been told it's pointless just getting the clutch changed because you double labour costs. If DMF is going it means u need a new clutch anyway because they are self adjusting?

Don't quote me on that but I'm sure I've read somewhere that if your needing one thing changed better of doing the lot (clutch, DMF and bearings). They will all need done sooner or later.

If anyone has or knows someone who has had an SMF conversion, would be very interested to hear the results. I've heard positives and negatives but I guess Ford wouldn't have put in an DMF if it wasn't required

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Sounds like the clutch or/and DMF could be starting to wear out. I've been told it's pointless just getting the clutch changed because you double labour costs. If DMF is going it means u need a new clutch anyway because they are self adjusting?

Don't quote me on that but I'm sure I've read somewhere that if your needing one thing changed better of doing the lot (clutch, DMF and bearings). They will all need done sooner or later.

If anyone has or knows someone who has had an SMF conversion, would be very interested to hear the results. I've heard positives and negatives but I guess Ford wouldn't have put in an DMF if it wasn't required

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yeah it would be silly to change just one piece given how long it takes to get at it all. It would be the labour cost all over again!

The dmf removes vibration and smooths out the engine. I have heard horror stories about smf destroying gearbox due to the vibrations transmitted to them and things, don't know anyone who has done it though.

I agree with the last comment. If it was me, i'd take the hit and get the DMF sorted asap with a good independent garage. Look after the car and keep it longer than you intended to do. It looks a nice car and like you said, you like driving it. Piece of mind :)

I have had the same issue over the last 2+ years, my friend is a ford mechanic and said to drive it until it gets worse. It has not got any worse yet and I am at 120,000 on the clock. As when it goes its worth putting a new clutch in also. He says the DMF are only rated for 100,000 miles.

Certain to fail ,when you are in the middle of no where or worse and you need to get to somewhere fast :angry:

Yeah it would be silly to change just one piece given how long it takes to get at it all. It would be the labour cost all over again!

The dmf removes vibration and smooths out the engine. I have heard horror stories about smf destroying gearbox due to the vibrations transmitted to them and things, don't know anyone who has done it though.

Before the advent of DMFs the clutch driven plates were fitted with springs to absorb these vibrations. I guess the DMF was found to do a more effective job. I wonder if the SMF conversions include a spring-damped clutch plate.