Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 1.8Tdci Starting Problems

creation

I have got an intermittent starting problem with my car. Sometimes when I turn the key the solenoid will engage on the starter but the engine doesn't turn over. Usually when this happens it doesn't matter how many times I turn the key the car won't start, however sometimes after 10 or so attempts the car will decide to start, if it doesn't I have to bump start it.

When my car does start it starts fine. I can go days and it will be fine and some days it will fail to start multiple times. The stater motor is less that 6 months old, I fitted it myself. I have double checked all the connections on the starter and the battery earth and they are fine. When the car fails to start if I put the lights on they don't dim.

When this first happened the car did this for about 3 weeks then the problem just went away for a couple of months, but it has now returned. It will happen when the engine is cold or warm.

Any ideas what could be causing this, I don't want to have to ask for more bump starts at the petrol station!

Possibly teeth missing off the flywheel or starter gear?

The flywheel was replaced this year and I have had the starter motor apart and I can't see any teeth missing.

When the car fails to start if I put the lights on they don't dim

That clearly shows there is no power going to the starter. Although you said it's only 6 months old this does sound like a starter problem. If you're hearing a definite click from the solenoid then either the contacts are not feeding power to the motor or there is a problem, such as a sticking brush, in the motor.

get a stick and tap the starter while someone is cranking the engine. if it cranks then you know its a bad starter. if it doesnt still start then its probably a wiring issue.

That

clearly shows there is no power going to the starter. Although you said

it's only 6 months old this does sound like a starter problem. If

you're hearing a definite click from the solenoid then either the

contacts are not feeding power to the motor or there is a problem, such

as a sticking brush, in the motor.

Well it was only a cheap starter from eBay. I guess I should get a multimeter and test the connections on the starter?

get a stick and tap the starter while someone is cranking the engine. if it cranks then you know its a bad starter. if it doesnt still start then its probably a wiring issue.

I have tried that, sometime it does start when doing that and other times it doesn't, which I know isn't much help!

I guess I should get a multimeter and test the connections on the starter?

You could use a meter to check the voltage is reaching the solenoid and doesn't collapse when you operate it but if the fault is inside the solenoid or motor using a meter won't help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club