mark1982

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2003

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for your help on the above, passed MOT yesterday with only a couple of advisories.  One being the handbrake passes but could be tighter.

I know the handbrake can be tightened by removing the heat shield and tensioning the cable, but as the handbrake holds I'm guessing its on the limit before the piston pushes out a bit more to add more tension.  Would this be correct?

Knowing the piston pushes out when the handbrake is pulled pulling the lever on the caliper, is it correct that the piston only moves when the lever has say 90% travel or does the piston push out with 1% travel from the lever?

Thanks again!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 ppeter7

ppeter7

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Name: peter
  • Ford Model: mondeo 1.8/ mondeo 2.0 zetec
  • Year: 2001

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

it take it yours has the adjuster system on cable and not automatic adjustment then?? seing you have fitted new pads discs you have to bed them in abit.

Mine was poor after changing pads and disks but they have come back after a cple hundred miles and is spot on now..You need to look under your car get sum1 to pull up hand brake (obv chock wheels ) to see how much slacks in cable.

Also yes as soon as the lever is turned it pushes the piston out  i hope this is some help to you

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: caliper, seize, mondeo, handbrake, rear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users