Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg And Performace With Egr Blank Fitted

WAZ91

Hello all,

As the "should I blank my EGR" question is posted quite a lot I thought I’d share my experience.

I have had my EGR blank on now for 3-4 months, bought it from eBay for around £4.

I was worried at first that it would cause problems and through up an EML but so far I have only positive things to say about it.

I have the 1.8 TDCI and before the blank I would pull out onto roundabouts in first and have no power until the turbo kicked in after a few seconds, this is not what you want if you on a busy roundabout. I was also getting around 45-47MPG which I don’t think is too bad.

Since fitting the EGR blank the car is more lively, no turbo lag and just more fun to drive. The Turbo kicks in almost instantly and its easier to follow through the gears whilst booting it. As for MPG I’m currently sitting on 52.8 and my driving style is the same, I work for Dominoes on the side delivering pizza and its still gone up!

The only small thing I have seen is a bit of oil around the EGR but its minimal and hardly noticeable (still passed mot with oil there).

All in all I would recommend taking the plunge, £4 can make a difference.

• Like 1

I did mine over two years ago and my car had 19,000 on it and now with 38,000 and not one eml and my car is getting 66mpg all day long.and I drive on all types of roads. And that's 66mpg with a/c running. Most I've ever had is 68.9mpg. Getting it remapped soon and Dpf gutted and hoping to reach 70mpg. Now I do lots of motorway driving I am aiming for 75mpg! Under normal driving that is. I reckon one year from now I could reach it :). Have you noticed since you have had it done your Dpf doesn't run as often. I noticed that. Instead of every 300-500 miles is happening about every 1000. I would recommend this little mod to anyone.

The 1.8 doesnt have a DPF so i wouldnt know haha :P

On my Motorway trips the instant readout is between 67-70MPG but i do more stop start with the dominoes which brings it down.

Oh right I see. My instant is anything from 75 onwards unless I'm going up hill. That's around 70/80mph. If you want better still try upgrading your air filter as the car will benefit dorm this further as you blocked the egr valve. Mine is a k&n 57s kit from a focus rs. Revs abit better and about 1mpg more than I was getting. But if you want more then every little helps. A guy called lenny has done a guide on a gten cotton filter install.

All about cost for me at the mo. I am defo looking for a better air filter but got a baby comeing so scrimping and saving at the mo haha.

Good to see your getting it at that speed, i trundle along at 65 :P

An excellent review! I have nothing but praise to sing for the plates! after putting it on my mondeo I got an extra 10MPG, although that is with economy driving (before and after). Its absolutely the best value fix you can ever do on your car!

From what I read it's pointless getting one with the hole in as the EGR still functions so better off getting solid plate.

Did it the other day, couple of hundred miles later no engine management warnings an nothing but nice things to say. My partner, based on her expression when I booted it the other day, seems to think it "goes" better too! - Fully blanked off, no holes, and no EGR issues before hand

It's a waste of time with a hole in it. You may as well not have it at all. Reason being you may induce a fault code with the egr valve. Maybe wrong but it might upset something because you will be get airflow through the valve but not a great as it would be without the blank and it may sense something is wrong. But by all means give it ago mate. You never know. I've had my car through it's first mot with the blank plate in and came out with no faults at all. Luckily for me my car hasn't had a fault code and it's been on for about two years.

Best 4 pound fix ever... my focus used to loose all power in 1st gear and go into limp mode so I had to turn it off and on at busy roundabouts. Its still sluggish in 1st gear until the turbo kicks in but a lot better then without the blanking plate. Apparently this is how ford dealers now fix egr faults. Dont bother buying the plate with rhe 10mm hole I tried this 1st and it made the car worse. I have also noticed the car doesnt kick out a ton of black smoke.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

I would say you need to get the car a good service to stop the poor running in first gear!

I'm happy I fitted my egr delete.

Checked my induction connections and checked air box/filter.

Discovered air filter hadn't seal properly so now it's all good drawing in cool air instead of warm under bonnet air.

Power is nothing without control .

I'm getting all filters and glow plugs changed and the end of this week and getting the engine terracleaned. Going to fit egr blanking plate then, hopefully this will make things a bit better.

I get spot with no power after pulling away sometimes, a re-map seemed to help with this a bit but hopefully the engine should be sweet this time next week.

I generally only do city driving and get around 38mpg, so will be interested to know how much this goes up by.

City driving your better off with a petrol. If you had one of those you wouldn't have half the problems. Diesels are not really designed for stop start. That's how things block up quicker and engine not getting upto temperature. But nevertheless I'd love to hear the results from the terraclean. How many miles hasyour car ddown? Mine has done 38k and average of 66mpg and that's with all types of driving.

Does anyone have a link to fitting the blanking plate ? Do you have to take the whole manifold off to access it ? ( 2006 1.8 tdci ). Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

City driving your better off with a petrol. If you had one of those you wouldn't have half the problems. Diesels are not really designed for stop start. That's how things block up quicker and engine not getting upto temperature. But nevertheless I'd love to hear the results from the terraclean. How many miles hasyour car ddown? Mine has done 38k and average of 66mpg and that's with all types of driving.

Mines done just over 70k, it seems a bit smoother after the service and terraclean, probably a mixture of the two.

Thanks for that , so it fits between the egr valve and the cooling pipe. Been having constant egr faults so hoping this will help.

Sadly I doubt it will, whilst it can prevent it worsening, you're existing problems will still likely be there. What you will need to do is clean the egr valve so it doesn't stick then blank it

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Fitted mine today only took 20 minutes, no faults, mpg has gone up, only did a 30 min or so round trip so hopefully it'll go up a bit more. Pulling off definitely feels smoother so far.

Sadly I doubt it will, whilst it can prevent it worsening, you're existing problems will still likely be there. What you will need to do is clean the egr valve so it doesn't stick then blank it

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Do you need to take the whole manifold off to clean it out ? I've already tried the egr valve cleaner.

if your removing the entire EGR valve you need to take a lot more off than otherwise if your fitting a plate.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club