Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Dim Drl Whilst Sidelights/headlights Are On?

Mikesin

Hi

Does anyone know to to dim aftermarket DRL's lights whilst the sidelight or headlights are on?

I have these lights : http://www.sw-tuning.de/LED-Tagfahrlicht-Module/Tagfahrlicht-fahrzeugspezifisch/Opel/Astra-H/LED-TFL-LED-NSW-Suzuki-Renault-Opel-Peugeot-Nissan-Ford-Dacia-Citroen-Jaguar::34004.html

Thanks

You could use a relay and a resistor - i could probably make up a wiring diagram for it (its very simple)

The higher the value of the resistor, the dimmer the DRLs get - the brightsess could be adjusted like this, and different values selected

With a SPDT (single pole, double throw) relay (or more) it would not need any other switches, etc, and would automatically dim thre DRLs when the sidelights were switched on, and work as normal/ as before when the sidelights are off

Can you use a resistor for these LED lamps? I believe most LEDs are dimmed by a circuit that switches them on and off at varying speeds, so the appearance is of dimming, but isn't just a straight reduction of power.

Can you use a resistor for these LED lamps? I believe most LEDs are dimmed by a circuit that switches them on and off at varying speeds, so the appearance is of dimming, but isn't just a straight reduction of power.

I think you can, i beleve some LED lights even have resistors built into them, alternatively, the DRLs could be wired in series (each would recieve 6v) when the sidelights were switched on - might need a DPDT (double pole, double throw) relay for that, but no resistor required for that configeration

The resistor will be in the circuit board, still easy enough to chop it out and put a stronger one into it, provided it isn't sealed to prevent water exposure etc you won't be able to seal it properly after as they are generally laminated / vaccuumed

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi

Does anyone know to to dim aftermarket DRL's lights whilst the sidelight or headlights are on?

I have these lights : http://www.sw-tuning.de/LED-Tagfahrlicht-Module/Tagfahrlicht-fahrzeugspezifisch/Opel/Astra-H/LED-TFL-LED-NSW-Suzuki-Renault-Opel-Peugeot-Nissan-Ford-Dacia-Citroen-Jaguar::34004.html

Thanks

Ive created a guide on fitting an auto dimmer relay from Genlabs on ebay:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31832-guide-fitting-auto-dimmer-unit-from-gen-labs-to-gauges-or-drl/

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone ^_^

Just to make it clearer how my dual function DRLs work...
This was how I installed this kit:

• I took my existing fog lights out, and screwed these new DRLs in (plug and play).
  • I then connected it to the box (relay?) where there was a white cable (goes to the ignition live), a yellow cable (connects to sidelight) and a black cable with a round circle clip thing (goes to negative)
  • I then connected the white wire to my ignition live which I located from the back of my stereo unit, the yellow cable I spliced with my side light wire and the black to the negative from the battery.
  • Once complete, when I turn the key forward twice in the car and the electrics are on and working (stereo unit all working) the DRLs will turn on
  • Then when I turn on my sidelights or headlights on, the DRLs will switch off.
  • There is also a fog light switch attached to the box and if I press it, it will turn the fog lights on and off when pressed (the DRLs have a dual function thing where it has seperate LEDs which can switch from DRLs to Fogs)

I already have a relay/module box thing with this kit don't I? I wouldn't be able to connect my lights to these I don't think as they have different connectors.

Hmm, would this module work with my kit I have though? I've just explained above how I installed these lights to make it clearer to understand how my lights work.

Thanks

You could use a relay and a resistor - i could probably make up a wiring diagram for it (its very simple)

The higher the value of the resistor, the dimmer the DRLs get - the brightsess could be adjusted like this, and different values selected

With a SPDT (single pole, double throw) relay (or more) it would not need any other switches, etc, and would automatically dim thre DRLs when the sidelights were switched on, and work as normal/ as before when the sidelights are off

Must I use a relay to do this? As I think I already have a relay with this kit (please look at above post).

I've already actually purchased some resistors as I was reading another forum where they used a resistor alone to dim their DRLs,

Can you/ or someone please look here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/9g-general-discussion/110613-drl-headlights.html

to see if I can do something like this ?

Must I use a relay to do this? As I think I already have a relay with this kit (please look at above post).

I've already actually purchased some resistors as I was reading another forum where they used a resistor alone to dim their DRLs,

Can you/ or someone please look here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/9g-general-discussion/110613-drl-headlights.html

to see if I can do something like this ?

The link does not work

It is possible to do it with just a resistor, this reduces your options though and can increase the load on the existing wiring, it can also mean the daytime and nighttime feeds interrfere/ interact with each other, so for these reasons, i would reccomend using a relay - it may be possible to use the supplied one (ideally, it needs to be a DPDT depending what you want to achieve with it, a SPDT limits your options )

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone ^_^

Just to make it clearer how my dual function DRLs work...

This was how I installed this kit:

• I took my existing fog lights out, and screwed these new DRLs in (plug and play).
  • I then connected it to the box (relay?) where there was a white cable (goes to the ignition live), a yellow cable (connects to sidelight) and a black cable with a round circle clip thing (goes to negative)
  • I then connected the white wire to my ignition live which I located from the back of my stereo unit, the yellow cable I spliced with my side light wire and the black to the negative from the battery.
  • Once complete, when I turn the key forward twice in the car and the electrics are on and working (stereo unit all working) the DRLs will turn on
  • Then when I turn on my sidelights or headlights on, the DRLs will switch off.
  • There is also a fog light switch attached to the box and if I press it, it will turn the fog lights on and off when pressed (the DRLs have a dual function thing where it has seperate LEDs which can switch from DRLs to Fogs)

I already have a relay/module box thing with this kit don't I? I wouldn't be able to connect my lights to these I don't think as they have different connectors.

Hmm, would this module work with my kit I have though? I've just explained above how I installed these lights to make it clearer to understand how my lights work.

Thanks

The kit you bought has been designed to switch the DRLs off when the sidelights come on

To make them dim, you must modify the kit, or add additional relays/ resistors etc, or start again from scratch, using a different setup, with the same LEDs, possibly ditching the box you got with it

The kit you bought has been designed to switch the DRLs off when the sidelights come on

To make them dim, you must modify the kit, or add additional relays/ resistors etc, or start again from scratch, using a different setup, with the same LEDs, possibly ditching the box you got with it

Must of posted the wrong link, this should work : http://www.civinfo.com/forum/9g-general-discussion/110613-drl-headlights.html

Take a look at how these guys did it, it looks pretty straight forward the way they did it, but that is with manufacturer DRLs I think?

And on my DRL box, there was 4 types of DRLs they had some which said it could dim etc when the headlights were turned on so I'm assuming I do have the same lights.

your alternative option is to remove the relay that you have already installed which switches this off, and you could replace it with a genlabs or similar with dimming functionality. Then you connect the cables up and use this instead to achieve the results you want.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club