Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk4 Rear Trailing Arm Bush Tool For Hire

hotponyshoes

Just had to replace the rear trailing arm bushes in my mk4 mondeo. Dealer quoted nearly £700!

Decided it would be better to spend £400 on the tool as the bushes were only £70 for decent ones.

Makes it possible to do the job on the car without having to remove the arm so no need to have the tracking done or bleed the brakes after etc. Also removes the risk of bending/twisting the arm (which will mess your steering right up) that you run when trying to burn the bushes out or wacking it with a bit of pipe etc.

Basically it's the bolts on the bush, lower shock bolt, one bolt on the lower control arm then pull the arm down, use the special tool to push the bush out then push the new one in. If you have acess to a ramp you could probably even do the job without taking the wheel off!

Anyway, the tool is now available to hire if anybody else needs it. £55 for 10 days. Price includes delivery by carrier. £200 deposit required (PayPal is fine) and you cover the cost of returning or I can arrange carrier collection for an additional £15.

The only other tools you need are standard sockets (upto 19mm) a hex key and a 1/2" breaker bar with a 16mm socket may be useful for pressing the old bushes out if they are rusty. Can hire these as well if needed. Can also supply new oem bushes at trade rate if you want some proper ones. Collection from somerset also welcome!

Did mine a couple of weeks ago, tried to get the local motor factor to buy the tool so I could hire it. I'll keep you in mind the next time I have to do mine.

Cheers

Paul-S

• 1 year later...

Hi Luke

is this tool still available. I am hoping to replace bushes in couple weeks. I live in Somerset (Minehead) and could probably collect.  

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek H
Some info removed

• 3 years later...
On 3/27/2016 at 10:15 PM, Derek H said:

Hi Luke

is this tool still available. I am hoping to replace bushes in couple weeks. I live in Somerset (Minehead) and could probably collect.  

Thanks

Derek

Do you still have this to hire ? Ty 

• 3 months later...
On 3/27/2016 at 10:15 PM, Derek H said:

Hi Luke

Thanks

Derek

A few years ago, you had a tool for replacing the rear trailing arm bushes on a Mk 4 Mondeo. Do you still have it?

It might be cheaper and easier to buy one, use it and sell it on...there's two on eBay at the moment starting at £50 + postage. It's quite heavy too, hence the postage costs.

I still have the one I bought in april 2018...not sure about selling it as I'll be keeping my car for a long time...though thinking about it...will it last another 5.5 years, hmmm. (had it 6 years already and original bushes lasted 7 years)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is a super old article and I'm sorry to bring it back up but I'm now facing this issue and wondered if anyone could help me out on which one of these trailing arm tools I should buy (if you think I should attempt it myself anyway that is)

Emma x

Personally, I used the Sealey one. Did both sides in a couple of hours on axle stands with the help of a friend. The tool itself does have a bit of weight to it that you need to hold in position while you get started, but not anything the average person couldn't handle I'd say.

Search on eBay though as you may find it for less than amazon or doing it for.

On 2/13/2021 at 6:50 PM, emmatdci said:

I know this is a super old article and I'm sorry to bring it back up but I'm now facing this issue and wondered if anyone could help me out on which one of these trailing arm tools I should buy (if you think I should attempt it myself anyway that is)

Emma x

If you're comfortable/experienced with removing and replacing suspension parts then I can't see why not (if using the right tool etc).  It isn't a 5 minute job, is quite involved and there's a good chance at least 1 bolt won't come free without an impact driver, so unless you're fairly experienced with this type of work I'd suggest getting a garage to do it.

• Like 1

As above, it's not a 5 minute job. I was working on my own and had trouble lining up a couple of suspension parts to get the bolt back in, a 2nd trolley jack would have helped. 

I also used the Sealey tool and that got quite heavy, especially lying on my back under the car, had to use some zip ties to help me hold the bush and tool to enable me to wind it in.

Have a look HERE to give you an idea of what's involved. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Are you still hiring this tool? I appreciate you spent a lot, but £55 hire with all the shipping seem a bit steep.

Regards,
Trevor

Sorry, I'm going to say it...if you think it's to much then don't hire it. Your alternatives are to find someone else with the tool and see if they will let you borrow it, buy one, or ask for a quote to replace the bushes at your local garage.

Do you even need this tool? It's showing that you have a 2005 Mondeo under your name, this tool is for 2007 onwards MK4 Mondeo.

• Like 1

Hi,

I was told this was correct (my mate's car). Thanks for your kindness.

Regards,
Trevor