• Super Mod
  • 17,727 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Hi Guys,

So I am going through a few things at the moment, which means that my car will be going in to get one alloy refurb'd (long story if you havent read it already).

A mate at work has given me a 16" alloy from a MK3 mondeo, which on putting it into blackcircles offers the tyre size as being 205/55 R16 V.

Now, my MK4 uses 215/55 R16 V - the question is, do you think it would offer a noticeable difference in handling? I tend to drive economy these days and so I dont go round corners needing to stick to the road as others may, I sorta saunter round them!

So, if I was to say drive around with 3 215's and 1 205, would it be too problematic? my logic says as long as its got enough tread, and I drive sensibly then it should be fine (as long as I treat it as if I am driving on a spacesaver in essence).

The other question is, do you think I could get a 215 and fit it on there even though blackcircles shows 205?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,097 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Your mates tyre wont be as wide as your own tyres,
But the overall size will be the same,

ID Fit it on the rear,
And dont corner as hard as usual because you wont have as much lateral grip as usual due to the thinner wheel

#3 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,727 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

yeah, I have had a look and I dont believe fitting a 215 55 will be an issue. Although 205 is shown on blackcircles, the 215 is fitted to a fair few cars from googling (other MK3 owners) so it seems that its probably going to be fine!

#4 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,097 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

yeah, I have had a look and I dont believe fitting a 215 55 will be an issue. Although 205 is shown on blackcircles, the 215 is fitted to a fair few cars from googling (other MK3 owners) so it seems that its probably going to be fine!

fit it on the rear though,
Because a thinner wheel on one side of front could cause you to spin under heavy braking in the wet,
Fitted on the rear would only effect the lateral grip on heavy cornering.

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,727 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

yeah true.

Will see what happens, if I get the same size tyre, I will stick it as and where it needs to go, if I cant, then I will do a swap on the rear.

The long term plan is to get this wheel to be the same size if I can as the others, then I will have a go at self refurbing my wheels, maybe even give them a colour change too!

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users