Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Misfire On A Ford Focus Mk2.5 1.8 Tdci

goomba

Hello people,

I am new to this forum so please do accept my apologies for repeating something which may have been discussed already.

I have a 59 plate ford focus mk2.5 1.8tdci at 85000. The problem I am facing is when I go on journeys on the motorway (around an hour) the car seems to misfire at 2500 revs 80mph. I would floor the car but it would just repeatedly misfire and would not go over 80 at all. Driving anything under 70 at this stage seems fine. I recently got it fully serviced by ford and they didn't flag anything up. Normally I can go over 80 no problem its just on these longer journeys this problems comes alive.

I know I shouldn't be driving over 80 and I don't. Its just this is not normal and im really worried that the problem may develop and im trying to catch it as soon as possible.

Many thanks in advance and hope you can help.

So you mentioned in the other thread it has just had a full Ford service 2 months ago? if thats the case, I would take it back to them and say that this is the first time you have tried to overtake beyond 70 mph in 2 months, and it was working fine before you gave it to them to service, but something is now wrong since the service?

This might be the easiest way to get the issue fixed.

It sounds to me like its limiting the engine, most likely due to a bad sensor somewhere. Could be as simple as a dirty sensor, or disconnected one, but I dont think you have a serious mechanical failing.

If you "race" the car from 0 - 4000 revs from gears 1 - 4, does it go above 2500 without misfiring? if not then its not just the 80mph and I would take it back to Ford. If they ask why you havent raised it before, tell them you were driving economically trying to keep the car under 2000 revs so the issue never occurred however you recently started driving above that and noticed the issue but insist it wasnt there before the service.

Best case scenario - free fix by the dealers, worst case, your no worse than you are now!

Yeah it works fine going to 4000 revs on all 5 gears. Its just that when I go on longer motorway journeys It wont go above 80mph. In other cases itl easily go over 80. Im thinking cud it possibly be something with the turbo when the engine warms up? Sometimes in lower goes I feel a little hiccup, but dats not all the tym.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Could be, so start by taking it to the dealer, see if they will fix it fees worst they can do is say no.

I would say turn the engine on and check for leaks around the turbo pipe and hoses, if there is even a tiny split it could be the cause.

Do you get black some under heavy acceleration? Or any tap or knock noises on idle or even up to 4k revs in lower gears?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Lol, the only problem is, I dont know what turbo is or what it looks like. Whenever I close to redline it, I get a bit of black smoke but thort thats down to diesel cars. Also when I reverse I do get a fair bit of black smoke. Sometimes when I put my foot down all the way, a whole heap of black smoke comes out. But I thougjt thats down to something just collecting somewhere and den coming out on heavy acceleration.

Nah sounds like a split in the hose or pipe.

Basically if you open the bonnet you will see just at the top of the engine there is an elbow hose, that then goes to a pipe around the front and that pipe goes down the engine bay.

It sound like you have a split in either the hose or the pipe. Have a look at my signature for replacing a turbo intercooler pipe there's loads of pictures on there that should show you what I mean either way you probably have a split in either the top or bottom hose, or possibly ad I had a split in the pipe.

Turn the car on, get someone to put about 2500 revs on and run your hand along the hose at the top then you will probably find a split otherwise you will need to carefully run your hand around the pipe to find where the air is blowing out. The bottom hose is more tricky and you need to remove the tray and then work around the hose.

Give it a try and I am sure you will find something

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

I briefly had a look today. But havent seen anything yet. However I noticed a lot of grease and looks and feel liks oil on the bottom of one of the turbo pipes. Could this mean anything? Il have another look see when I get the chance.

My pipe was the same, so I wouldnt discount it.

If you didnt have the engine running, or revving then its difficult to find it, I had a torch out and without the engine running I couldnt see a darned thing no matter how bright the torchlight.

• 3 weeks later...

You where right jeebowhite. There was a split in the turbo pipe and funny thing was different mechanics had a look and said there is no split. Eventually I got a huge gaping hole and still no mechanic managed to spot it.

The turbo was losing pressure and air was escaping out the split and you could hear it escaping. Eventually had to get a recovery man to have a look who spotted the fault in seconds. Need to get the pipe leading down under the engine replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shadab,

Sorry I was away for a week! its amazing what you miss in that time!

So how is it now? all fixed up?

• 1 month later...

Well it was all fixed up. Now the problem has returned -_- and this time its worse. It misfires in every gear on high revs. So far the symptons I got is,

- lower mpg. So the range display wud show an amount of miles and I know I cant do the miles displayed with the amount of diesel left. Before the range used to be fairly accurate but once I ran the car to almost empty and the problem occured after that.

- black smoke when turbo should kick in. So when I put my foot down I notice alot of smoke comes the exhaust around 2500 revs and above. So when the turbo shud kick in.

- misfire. The misfire occurs whenever the turbo should kick in. I want to sag its the egr valve as after doing some research I think it could be that.

Any idea what it could be?

Sounds to me like you would benefit from a fuel filter first change.

Ok I'll do that first. Do you know if thats included in a full service by ford?

Ordinarily it should be but not all will do it.

Ok thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm getting rather frustrated with this. And apparently the 1.8 diesel engines were meant to be good

They are good sadly though some go sour for a while.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club