Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction Warning Message

hiace_drifter

In the 3 months since we've had out Focus TDCi, we've had an "engine malfunction" warning appear on the dash 6 times, always when doing 60mph+.

The car loses power, but pulling over, turning off the engine and restarting seems to fix it (temporarily).

The first time we called out the AA, but they said their computer couldn't find a fault. They recommended going to a Ford dealer. A quick google showed people think this is just AA being rubbish.

After the second, third and fourth times we went to our local garage (well respected by my petrol head friend). They too could not find a fault, and said try a Ford dealer. A quick google implied they should have been able to fix it.

After the fifth and sixth times (both of which meant stopping on motorway with no hard shoulder, and kids in the car)... we are now at our wits end.

So, do we just take it to a Ford dealer? Any way to ensure we don't pay big bucks for "can't find the fault" or it reoccurring soon after.

Thanks.

hi mate, ive had the same problem with my 1.6 tdci. i took mine to my local garage and they put on their snap-on code reader and it came up with a lambda sensor stuck rich. this means that the oxygen sensor ( lambda ) is probaly clogged up with soot deposits and may need to be replaced. im having mine done next month but i used a cleaner called cataclean, this stuff really works. if you google it , it will show what its about and how to use it. ive just put some in mine and i dont get the engine warning light on now and i use bp ultimate fuel along side it and it does clean through the whole system including the lambda sensor. on another note is your turbo working properly? the reason i ask is because if it isnt there could be a feed problem with it and any imbalance with the lambda sensor and the turbo will result in the engine warning light coming on and put you back into limp mode which means the engine wont rev over 3000rpm but it will allow you to drive to " get you home" or stop and reset the computer. other than these points ive mentioned i couldnt tell you any more but when you take it to another garage get them to check the data codes on a snap- on code reader and it should tell you the problem. the ones some garages use arnt up to the job and leaves you still guessing at what the problem may be. i hope this helps you and good luck. :)

What exactly happens - talk us through any of the 6 breakdowns step by step.

My Focus used to cut out on me, specifically in winter, the reason was simple - I had the same error as you did a couple of times by the way - it was a feint crack in the fuel filter housing. almost impossible to see by the naked eye!

What exactly happens - talk us through any of the 6 breakdowns step by step.

My Focus used to cut out on me, specifically in winter, the reason was simple - I had the same error as you did a couple of times by the way - it was a feint crack in the fuel filter housing. almost impossible to see by the naked eye!

Hi, every occurrence has been the same:

1 Travelling at 60+ mph

2 Warning light comes on

3. Car loses power (not completely, just sluggish)

4. Pull over, turn off ignition

5 Wait a few seconds

6. Restart engine

7 Car fine, but sluggish.

8 Sluggishness seems to go after a while

No 3 and 7 seem to tie in with some kind of limp home mode which cgriff40 suggested.

I will get some cataclean for now, and use "ultimate" fuel on next fill up. One problem with the TDCi is that a full tank lasts us 2 or 3 weeks.... damn fuel economy :)

Couple of questions:

How do I know if there is a problem with the turbo?

Will the snap-on code reader show if lambda sensor or turbo, or is it not that specific?

Cheers

Snap on should tell you exactly what it is, but so too will other tools if you have them around (such as a modified ELM cable and FORSCAN).

To be honest that seems almost identical to the issues I had, the CMAX was losing its fuel filter before I chopped it in, bought one to fit but got shot of it first. I had the issue happen on my focus just before winter bit, exactly the same symptoms but as it worked again and I was flat broke I didnt bother fixing it, then winter came and this time the engine just cut out altogether.THats when I got it into Ford and had it confirmed it was the fuel filter.

Snap on should tell you exactly what it is, but so too will other tools if you have them around (such as a modified ELM cable and FORSCAN).

To be honest that seems almost identical to the issues I had, the CMAX was losing its fuel filter before I chopped it in, bought one to fit but got shot of it first. I had the issue happen on my focus just before winter bit, exactly the same symptoms but as it worked again and I was flat broke I didnt bother fixing it, then winter came and this time the engine just cut out altogether.THats when I got it into Ford and had it confirmed it was the fuel filter.

Presuming it is this issue, is there anything to be gained by going to a non ford garage, or should I bite the bullet and take it to Ford?

Just out of interest, how much should it cost to get the fuel filter replaced?

It does sound like a fuel delivery problem.

As James says, it may be a damaged filter housing, dirty filter or even something as basic as a pinched filter seal.

When was the filter last changed? The Focus is particularly sensitive to dirty filters.

I had mine sorted out as part of a full service but probably about 30 minutes/1 hours labour and cost of parts so around £60.

It does sound like a fuel delivery problem.

As James says, it may be a damaged filter housing, dirty filter or even something as basic as a pinched filter seal.

When was the filter last changed? The Focus is particularly sensitive to dirty filters.

I had mine sorted out as part of a full service but probably about 30 minutes/1 hours labour and cost of parts so around £60.

Hmmm.... we've had the car 3 months, and not changed it in that time. I'm unsure when the fuel filter was replaced before then. I could get the local garage to replace it and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't then take to to the Ford dealer.

Thats the best thing to do, or you can refit a new filter yourself with a bit of patience.

Either way get the filter swapped first and then run a few tanks of decent fuel (not supermarkets finest!) that should confirm if its done for.

Have just ordered a Haynes Manual, and looking at youtube vids of replacing fuel filter. Will probably give it a go! Bizarely the only vid I watched so far was narrated by a very quiet irish chap... I'm convinced its Jim McDonald from Corrie!!! :)

haha, I find that listening to a lot of the Irish, there accents are quite strongly similar!

Only thing I will say is buy yourself a syringe, fill the new filter to the brim, the install, then open and fill the bleed nipple as well to make sure you expell almost every drop of air!

From there, connect up the fuel lines and try to turn it over, will take a few turns (guanrateed it will not start first time), If all else fails, I would suggest you get yourself a low pressure priming bulb, fit it inline and use this to try and encourage the engine to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, have got a bottle of Cataclean...

How the f*** do you get it into the fuel tank?

It took me a while to get the filler hole open (used my fingers to push all the sprung flaps until I finally gained entry). I then shoved the bottle in through the filler hole as far as it would go. At this point I squeezed the bottle slightly as it didn't seem to be emptying... cue jets of chemicals down the paintwork and nearly in my eyes. Try this a few times, being more careful. After using about half the bottle (1/4 in car, 1/4 outside the car!) I look inside the fuel hole... and the cataclean is brimming... nearly overflowing. This is bizarre as only a quarter tank of diesel!

Help

PS sorry for any unintended innuendo above.... but hard to describe this process without sounding biological!

Do you have the easyfuel system? (No filler cap).

If so you need to use a funnel that should have been supplied with the car.

Look in the boot near the jack/spare wheel/inflation kit (whichever applies).

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

Do you have the easyfuel system? (No filler cap).

If so you need to use a funnel that should have been supplied with the car.

Look in the boot near the jack/spare wheel/inflation kit (whichever applies).

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

Oooooo! Sounds the ticket! Will have a look when the missus gets home. And once I've flushed the cataclean out of my eyes ha ha

Hmmm... will have another look tomorrow.... now I know what I'm looking for! Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Well, it took a while... but the problem is now sorted.

We were due to go on hollibobs, when the warning light came on repeatedly, and prevented the car from being driven. After a very strung out rescue by Green Flag, we got towed to our local garage. Being the tuesday after August bank hol they said it would take 10 days to even be looked at .... gaaaahhggghhh. In the end they advised to take it to another local garage who had some ex Ford chaps working their.

Sooo.... turns out it was faulty wiring to the fuel pressure sensor, which was alternating between sensing full pressure and no pressure... hence the car was having a hissy fit.

So, all sorted.... and only £250 all in. The chap at the garage said it could have been a faulty sensor, which would need to be replaced with the fuel rail... and another £300 ish.

FYI - Depending on the year of your FOCUS there is a known issue with a batch of injectors ending in 3. This also causes misfires and engine mailfunctions issues as I have experieced myself. Ask your local Ford dealership about technical service bulletin TSB 27/2012 dateed 14/5/12.

• 7 years later...

Hi

Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue and if so what was the solution please? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club