Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do You Remove Roof Mouldings

Steve27

Hi all

This is my first time and I hope you can help. Does anyone know how to remove the roof mouldings on a Mk2.5 focus ?

Do you mean the headliner?

post-28494-0-43186000-1405109670_thumb.j

If so you need to remove the courtesy light(s), pillar covers (A, B, C pillars), remove the grab handles and sun visors then the liner should just drop out from above the door seal trims.

The A pillar trims are held on with plastic clips which are a bit fragile.

They push in to holes which also mount the cable guides mounted there.

I recommend a Bojo tool and carefully pulling the top of the trims out exposing one clip at a time, get the Bojo between the clip and cable guide and lever out to pop the clips.

Once you are sure all the clips are popped you should be able to wiggle/pull the trims clear.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bojo-Vehicle-Interior-Trim-Removal-Tool-Car-Door-Card-Dash-Board-Dual-Ended-/331134567457?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d19288421

• Like 2

Got a feeling the OP means the exterior roof rail moulding strips :unsure:

Yes sorry I should have been a little clearer I mean the roof rails any idea ?

Just pull them off. They will be destroyed tho. No real carefull way of doing it. An use tar remover/ brajke cleaner to use the sticky tape behind it

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks for that I thought I could re fit the trim after.

The plastic trim on both sides of the roof are fixed to the roof with a strong adhesive. In most cases the plastic trim will be destroyed during removal.

If you want to remove the plastic trim you should heaten the trim and surrounding areas with a heatgun (or simply wait for a hot day). After being warmed up the adhesive softens a bit which makes removal a lot easier. This also reduces the risk of pulling the paint of the roof during removal.

• Like 1

Thanks Wilco for that info :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Wondering what you found when you removed the plastic trim on the roof?
I am wanting to fit roof rails - front to back (not cross bars) to a focus estate - but have no idea weather I will find the fixing points for the rails already in place!
Any clues greatly appreciated.

The fixing point are already there. The holes are plugged and sealed with bodywork sealant so there is no need to drill holes into the roof.

To retrofit the roof rails Ford offers a complete retrofit kit For the Focus MK2.5 which contain all needed parts. This kit is available in both black and silver and has the following part numbers:

Finis 1718789 Black.

Finis 1718796 Silver.

The price of the retrofit kit is approximately €220,-.

The fixing point are already there. The holes are plugged and sealed with bodywork sealant so there is no need to drill holes into the roof.

To retrofit the roof rails Ford offers a complete retrofit kit For the Focus MK2.5 which contain all needed parts. This kit is available in both black and silver and has the following part numbers:

Finis 1718789 Black.

Finis 1718796 Silver.

The price of the retrofit kit is approximately €220,-.

Brilliant - Thankyou for the help.

Just to add - my car is a 2009 focus estate econetic model…. if that makes a difference!

One question - What does the bodywork sealant look like?

Is it a sealant type material (squidgy and sticky) or would it look flush with the paintwork - almost like a sticker?

Many thanks,

Ted

A 2009 Focus is a MK2.5 model so the retrofit kit should fit your car perfectly.

The bodywork sealant is a strong adhesive which is used to glue bodypanels together and seal all of the seams. The seam between the side panels and the roof panel is sealed with this bodywork sealant and covered afterwards with the black plastic trim on top of the roof.

Installing the roof rails requires the black plastic trim to be removed first. You also have to remove the roofliner insode the car to have access to the mounting holes of the roof rails.

Sorry to jump in on this thread.....

I'm looking at fitting the normal crossbars to my 2009 Focus, I've removed the little section in the plastic and found the sealant. Am I right in thinking that for the crossbars I just need the break the seal fix the crossbars with a bolt from the outside (i.e. No need to remove the interior roof lining)?

If I don't want the crossbars on the car is there any best practices for re-plugging the holes so that any water does not get in?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Good thread. I wanted to the fit roof rails to my previous face-lift MK2 which already comes with some small plastic rails.

Going to take the headliner off to see if I have the holes. Unlikely on the previous face-lift burt you never know!

On the exterior plastic trim there are some insert strips that you can remove then cut the sealant way and the cross bars fix into it therefore no need to remove the headliner, not sure for the roof rails.

I did find out that if you remove the roof bars/rails there is a screw plug that you would originally remove, keep this as you would use it to re-plug the holes when the roof bars/rails are removed

Sorry to jump in on this thread.....

I'm looking at fitting the normal crossbars to my 2009 Focus, I've removed the little section in the plastic and found the sealant. Am I right in thinking that for the crossbars I just need the break the seal fix the crossbars with a bolt from the outside (i.e. No need to remove the interior roof lining)?

If I don't want the crossbars on the car is there any best practices for re-plugging the holes so that any water does not get in?

Thanks

Correct - just dig out the sealant (roughly in the middle of the gap) and you'll find the little threaded cup that your roof-bar bolts will secure into. Don't worry too much about water ingress. The mountings are sealed from the inside (like I said, it's a little threaded cup lol) I haven't got anything other than the plastic covers slotted back in place, and have had no problems.

Also, if you go for the genuine Ford bars, everything fits nicely inside the mounts for storage - including the modified plastic strips (or the original ones if the bars are on the car). It's possible thule bars will be similar - they look incredibly similar.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, I heard that Ford rebadge thule and sell them as Ford roof bars

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

i have just purchased a set genuine ford roof rails for my mk2 Focus from nationalclearencecentre on eBay for £150. its a Ford garage in Salisbury.comes with all the fittings.

They sell all sorts of ford focus parts brand new at cheap prices

I will let you know how i get on after i have fitted them.Looks fairley easy.but i have experience of working on cars.