Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

TommyC115

Steering Is Gone Very Heavy

4 posts in this topic

Hey all,

The power steering on my TDC1 2005 mondeo has been very heavy for about a year now. It wasn't great before hand. It may be the pump I'm not sure? Is there any quick fix for this?

Hi THomas,

Depending how heavy it is this could fail an MOT.

It could be as simple as bad fluid. Does it feel like the car is actually using power steering (i.e. to a much lesser extent?) or is it just like driving a tank?

Hey James,

It is working but it's heavy. On a bad road it seems heavier with every bend and after an hour or that driving it isn't a lot of fun. On some occasions it's ok or even good, but mostly its just plain heavy. I can hear the power steering pump or whatever it is at full lock, so its working at some level, just not enough.

Any thoughts?

pump is possible, have you checked the fluid levels? it could also be an airlock as well.

Take the reservoir cap off the steering fluid, then just sit with the engine on and swing the wheels from side to side for a good 10 to 15 minutes, that should dispell any air, you should feel it get lighter as you do this if its an airlock, if its not improving then it could well be time to see someone about the pump.