Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Is Gone Very Heavy

TommyC115

Hey all,

The power steering on my TDC1 2005 mondeo has been very heavy for about a year now. It wasn't great before hand. It may be the pump I'm not sure? Is there any quick fix for this?

Hi THomas,

Depending how heavy it is this could fail an MOT.

It could be as simple as bad fluid. Does it feel like the car is actually using power steering (i.e. to a much lesser extent?) or is it just like driving a tank?

Hey James,

It is working but it's heavy. On a bad road it seems heavier with every bend and after an hour or that driving it isn't a lot of fun. On some occasions it's ok or even good, but mostly its just plain heavy. I can hear the power steering pump or whatever it is at full lock, so its working at some level, just not enough.

Any thoughts?

pump is possible, have you checked the fluid levels? it could also be an airlock as well.

Take the reservoir cap off the steering fluid, then just sit with the engine on and swing the wheels from side to side for a good 10 to 15 minutes, that should dispell any air, you should feel it get lighter as you do this if its an airlock, if its not improving then it could well be time to see someone about the pump.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club