• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2008

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hi all,

I know you guys and girls know more about these beasts than me. :) I'm thinking of going for a new Fiesta ST however want some advice on a few questions; hoping people can help.

What's the typical real MPG that you get from this car?

Are there any know issues with these cars?

The dealer is trying to charge me £465 for the care kit which is basically mat, flaps and dimond bright protection ....now I can find mats online, however seems flaps are hard to find for the ST - has anyone fitted them themselves and know where to get them from? Also can you buy the dimond bright kit and do it yourself?

All feedback would be great.

Ps can a mod change the title as seems on my ipad I can't type Fiesta ST :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

4 miles each work to the train station each day gets me 30mpg. On a motorway run I've had 42.
The care kit is a rip off and they don't even make mud flaps for the ST so shows how little your dealer knows!

#3 KenP

KenP

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Name: Ken
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 125 5dr with NAV
  • Year: 2014

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Just make sure you can live with the firmer ride and the higher running costs. I owned a Type R for for 5 years and the ride could be a bit wearing, plus it was about £1000 a year more expensive to run because of the road tax and the fact it only averaged about 31mpg.

#4 Peterjones

Peterjones

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for that really quick reply. See I noticed that but then thought maybe they could get hold of flaps from ford that arnt retailed ...trying to look at a positive in that package price.

Only thing I really think is useful is the dimond bright stuff as had that on past cars. However can you do this yourself or do other companies offer this service for much less?

#5 Peterjones

Peterjones

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

Just make sure you can live with the firmer ride and the higher running costs. I owned a Type R for for 5 years and the ride could be a bit wearing, plus it was about £1000 a year more expensive to run because of the road tax and the fact it only averaged about 31mpg.

I do worry a little how it would cope on the speed humps on the way to work and currently I'm in zetec with sports suspension getting 43mpg so I'm assuming if I drive nicely (as you do) :) I could get maybe up to the late 30s? But then seeing the figures here maybe that is way too optimistic.

#6 KenP

KenP

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

I wouldn't waste my money on Diamond brite, had it on past cars and noticed no difference, infact you get much better results by just keeping it polished. These things are cash cows for the dealers along with GAP insurance which you can get much cheaper elsewhere if you really want it.

#7 Peterjones

Peterjones

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

I wouldn't waste my money on Diamond brite, had it on past cars and noticed no difference, infact you get much better results by just keeping it polished. These things are cash cows for the dealers along with GAP insurance which you can get much cheaper elsewhere if you really want it.

Yes the gap cover is a joke and will go for click4gap if I have the car as they seem to do the best deal. Not such which option to choose as when I used them last time it was simple, straight forward gap insurance. Now they have 3 packages.

As for the diamond bright, does it not protect the paint work in the long term then? Is that a bit of a claim that is open to debate? What polish would you recommend for getting that cracking look? :)

#8 KenP

KenP

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

I do worry a little how it would cope on the speed humps on the way to work and currently I'm in zetec with sports suspension getting 43mpg so I'm assuming if I drive nicely (as you do) :) I could get maybe up to the late 30s? But then seeing the figures here maybe that is way too optimistic.

I've only got experience of the Type R and assume the sports suspension on the Zetec is going to be pretty close to the ST, so if you're happy at the moment then it should be fine.

The fuel is something people tend to forget about. It's a difficult thing to estimate because it depends so much on your driving style and the mileage you do, I'd work on getting low 30's and then you won't be surprised.

#9 KenP

KenP

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Yes the gap cover is a joke and will go for click4gap if I have the car as they seem to do the best deal. Not such which option to choose as when I used them last time it was simple, straight forward gap insurance. Now they have 3 packages.

As for the diamond bright, does it not protect the paint work in the long term then? Is that a bit of a claim that is open to debate? What polish would you recommend for getting that cracking look? :)

I'm only going on my experience with these special coatings, I just don't think they're worth the money the dealers charge.

If you do a search for "Auto express polish" you will find ther annual polish test, I'm currently still working my way through a tub of Colonite 476s polish which was a test winner a few years back but seems to have dropped down the rankings now.

#10 Peterjones

Peterjones

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

Can you buy this interior fabric protector / stain guard stuff they claim to sell as part of the package as well?

#11 KenP

KenP

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

You can buy cans of Scotch Gard fabric protector from Amazon.

#12 nath.mk7.st

nath.mk7.st

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 520 posts
  • Name: NAthan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

This is mine I've just done a run up Coast roads n filled her up. But I've drove normally, stuck to speed limits and changed up when told me to. I'm going to give it a blast back see what the difference is so I'll let you know.

ImageUploadedByFord OC1405252501.820700.jpg ImageUploadedByFord OC1405252526.769886.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

#13 Peterjones

Peterjones

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Ooh that's a 44.1mpg which is a really good return for driving nicely.

What do you folks make of buying from a broker? Seen some really big savings on some sites but wondering what the catch is? Says it's a new car.

#14 Mental_Atom

Mental_Atom

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Year: 1997

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Ooh that's a 44.1mpg which is a really good return for driving nicely.

What do you folks make of buying from a broker? Seen some really big savings on some sites but wondering what the catch is? Says it's a new car.

I'm about to purchase in the next few days myself (not an ST mind you, but that's not important right now). I'm going via http://carwow.co.uk, but I've also looked at drivethedeal (http://drivethedeal.co.uk) though they tend to have interesting Ts and Cs going on sometimes meaning its not quite as cheap as it first appears

I like carwow as you can get lots of varying quotes without the hassle of emailing/phoning around loads of dealers :)

There's not catch, I think they basically get it cheap by placing a huge order with dealers and then using them up over a long period of time, and bulk = discount like with most things...

#15 Peterjones

Peterjones

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

I've used carwow and prices look OK , however that drive the deal does produce some really low quotes. What are the main t&c s to watch out for on that site?

Im surprised my dealer doesn't seem to want to match the deal I've been offered however if they won't match it then I'll just give my business to the dealer offering me the best price in the first place.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiesta, st

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users