Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chewbacca Brakes

Byr0n

Please can anyone tell me what this sound is?

I recently had my brake pads changed at Ford, I have been back twice since to show them the noise but it hasn't done it when on test drive. I showed them the vid so they took it in, took brakes apart, cleaned them and put them back together and it didn't solve it.

It's a very unusual sound, almost like Chewbacca from Star Wars or whales mating!

Please help!

http://youtu.be/dXjxEvTMlDI

• Like 1

I haven't a clue on anything Tecnical but was p1ssing myself at the chewbacka/video !

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

• Like 1

I have never heard anything like that before very strange.

Well it seems to happen when the car is rolling obviously off the brakes, it may not have happened on your test drive with the techs because your car was already warmed up so here is my suggestion, Jack up one wheel at a time and spin it by hand, if it if the brakes sticking it'll get stiff to spin in your hand or go all chewbacca on you

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

Could be handbrake cables are worn. They have the same problem on the transits and you relocate the cables and replace them...i know its not a transit but it could be a possible cause. Either way its pads,discs,calipers,carriers,caliper sliders or handbrake cables. Might be food for thought

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Forgot to mention it only happens in reverse, never forward and only happens when I apply the brakes, so it's definitely break related.

Could it be a faulty set of pads? Ithis has only started since Ford replaced my old pads so surely they are to blame? I've been back 3 times now and it's so frustrating it doesn't do it there.

I thought maybe I need to warm the brakes up so went on a 20 min drive via my towns one way system continuously using the breaks and typically it didn't do it. Got home and guess what... Done it

I don't know what to do! Can I demand they replace the pads?

Condition of the discs could be a factor too. And if the pads are a budgst version. If its only happened since they replaced them, then they should put it right. My garage does

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

oh dear god Byron, I shall be listening for bacca on the motorway!!!

Just to check, did you have your foot on the brakes at all? I am inclined to agree that its going to be something to do with handbrake though.

They really need to remove the brake assembly and roll the car (preferably on a rolling road :p) and see if the noise persists to eliminate the work on the brakes and prove its the embedded drums.

Just an update, I phoned Ford again and asked them to replace the pads they put on my car with new ones as they must be faulty and they have agreed to. At least it will eliminate if it's the pads causing the noise. Booked in for Friday

James, yes only happens when breaks are applied, I tested if it was anything to do with the handbrake as I put it in reverse, let it roll back and slowly applied the hand brake, no noise.

If you look in the vid, I am breaking as my break lights are lighting up only when the noise sounds

It !Removed! embarrassing in a public car park, the video doesn't demonstrate how loud the noise actually is!

cant say I blame you on the embarassment front, at least Ford is taking the hit on it, but I didnt see the lights on the rear at the time (should'a looked harder!)

Either way though, at least you get to eliminate one part of it!

• Like 1

I'll update the thread after Friday, fingers crossed

I couldn't see the lights either but glad to hear they are doing something helpful, it might not even be seated correctly

You should post that video on a Star Wars forum. Someone will probably buy the car off you for a huge amount of dosh.

Seriously though hope they sort it for you

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Btw I can believe you how loud it is, it sounds it from the video

Update - Ford replaced the pads, wire brushed the discs and greased everything up, all free of charge and so far after 2 days of usage I have not had the Chewbacca noise :)

Definitely must of been a dodgy set of pads!

• Like 1

Pleased you must be haha

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

Glad it's sorted :-)

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app