#16 JohnP

JohnP

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk4 1.25 zetec

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:08 AM

I had mine on till I crashed the car :(

that is gutting. i take it you'd not been driving/had the car long?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 RIIIDAA

RIIIDAA

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Ford Model: 09 Fiesta Titanium, Tech & dress-up pack

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:56 AM

I think P-plates are a bad idea personally and can cause 'some' other drivers to try to intimidate you, in my experience anyways.

Congrats though, and happy driving :)

This was my experience, on the drive home from passing, a skip loader was up tail gating - took em off - blended in got no tossers trying to intimidate me after that.

You'd be better off with 'Baby on board' til you feel at one with the car...

#18 Helena

Helena

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta MK6 Zetec
Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:59 AM

You get pure victimised with P Plates on

If you do decide to get them though get magnetic ones no adensive crap.

#19 Nug878

Nug878

Local Rep: Gwent

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Ford Model: 99 Focus 1.8TDdi LX/Ghia [AC] Estate

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

I was advised to use P plates when I passed my test. But I refused because I thought other drivers would take advantage of that and be pricks lol.
Turns out I was right not to, because my friend is using P plates at the moment and she's intimidated so much on the road it riles me up when I'm in the car with her.

#20 Bashful

Bashful

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1l 125ps ecoboost
  • Year: 2013
Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

that is gutting. i take it you'd not been driving/had the car long?

Was my first car after passing my test, 999 miles on the clock. Was coming along the notorious Edinburgh city bypass, everyone suddenly put their brakes on and unfortunately when I did I went into a skid. My offside wing caught the back of a van. The guy that picked the car up said I was really unlucky, if there had been a car in front I would have missed it. It was however a big lesson learned.

#21 RIIIDAA

RIIIDAA

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:55 PM

Turns out I was right not to, because my friend is using P plates at the moment and she's intimidated so much on the road it riles me up when I'm in the car with her.

Have her pull over, get out of her car. Rip them off the car, get back in - go for a long drive to demonstrate how much more civilized other 'prick' road users are, if she panics - buy her a baby on board sign for a bit...

#22 JohnP

JohnP

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

the only thing about baby on board stickers is that they are meant to be for if the cars in an accident, it informs people that a child is in the car if the driver is unable to so if the person doesn't have a child, but does have the stickers people might search the car for a child. which doesn't seem dangerous but if its on fire it'd put other people at risk for no reason. i know its an extreme scenario but i thought i'd raise the point.

#23 RIIIDAA

RIIIDAA

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

i hear you, for the sake of a weeks use i think the probability of that scenario hopefully is small enough to warrant doing it.

#24 Purdy fpv

Purdy fpv

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Ford Model: Puma 1.7 VCT

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

My P plates lasted 3 days.
I agree with Flic some drivers do bully. But its just the same as when you have L plates on.
If I was you, Id have magnetic plates on the car for one week. Just to give you a chance to familiarize yourself with the car. The magnetic plates shouldn't damage your paint work.

#25 Helena

Helena

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

the only thing about baby on board stickers is that they are meant to be for if the cars in an accident, it informs people that a child is in the car if the driver is unable to so if the person doesn't have a child, but does have the stickers people might search the car for a child. which doesn't seem dangerous but if its on fire it'd put other people at risk for no reason. i know its an extreme scenario but i thought i'd raise the point.

That was a bit of a daft thing to say wasn't it.

Its a Fire fighters duty to check all areas possible for people who might be trapped. Stickers or no Stickers. People will check the car over for anybody trapped.

#26 DaveFord

DaveFord

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: C-Max Titanium 1.8TDCi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

That was a bit of a daft thing to say wasn't it.

Its a Fire fighters duty to check all areas possible for people who might be trapped. Stickers or no Stickers. People will check the car over for anybody trapped.

Not really daft at all - that was the original purpose of the 'Baby on Board' stickers.

Of course fire fighters will check everything, but JohnP does make a valid point about the original purpose of the sticker.

#27 Helena

Helena

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

Not really daft at all - that was the original purpose of the 'Baby on Board' stickers.

Of course fire fighters will check everything, but JohnP does make a valid point about the original purpose of the sticker.

I know theres a purpous to the sticker but he's being a bit cynical of it by saying If a child wasnt in there people would risk loosing there lives... like it's some devious mis-leading thing and so the sticker is a bad thing for doing that! that was the thing I found daft.

People have risked there lives going into buildings for trapped people. You don't expect an indicator in the window telling us who is or isnt inside there do you

Its a sticker and Fire fighters will check anyway for people, They're not gonna stand there and go ''Not going in the burning car with a 'baby on board sticker' Just incase theres no baby after all''

Totally gone the other way with that one.

#28 JohnP

JohnP

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:55 PM

i was just raising what i feel is a valid point as to why you shouldn't have a baby on board sticker in your car if you don't have a child. as DaveFord said that was there original purpose. and i know its a firefighters job to go looking for people but how often are the there when an accident happens? its the general public that are there so it would be more likely for a civilian to check which is a big waste of time/risk if theres no child on board.

#29 Rippers

Rippers

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Zetec-s

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

no... dont have P plates... if u have P plates then ull still be seen as a crappy, nervous learner driver.

#30 gilb-fezzy-01

gilb-fezzy-01

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

dont be a fool , P plates are for either women or bad drivers, uve passed ur test haven't you ? If youve passed your test then obviousyl your a good enough driver to not need them. If i see someone with P plates I just laugh to be honest. Waste of time and money.

Do the right thing - be a man

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users