Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicks And Knocks After Front Bearing Replacement

Quint

Last week, I changed the front bearings of my mk2.5 TDCi because it was humming. While I was at it, I replaced the tie rod assembly, both bar and end. After a week, I could hear clicks and knocks on it that is becoming more annoying. Anyone who experienced this before?

make sure everything is nice and tight, loose control arm bolts , caliper etc will cause knocking noises

The mk2.5 uses a gen2 wheel bearing, did you use the correct tool to fit it?

Yes. It was pressed out and in with no problems. I had it checked again today. Everything is tight.

It seems that we diagnosed wrong. It was not the wheel bearing that I should have replaced. I'm about to repack my inner and outer velocity bearings. I hope it does the job. Otherwise, its replacement.

Yes. It was pressed out and in with no problems. I had it checked again today. Everything is tight.

It seems that we diagnosed wrong. It was not the wheel bearing that I should have replaced. I'm about to repack my inner and outer velocity bearings. I hope it does the job. Otherwise, its replacement.

The reason I ask is because gen2 wheel bearings will press in just the same as any normal bearing but as the hub is already part of them you can't just press them in like that as you risk damaging them internally.

• 2 weeks later...

How long is a piece of strong really, it's hard to say but I would say 80-100k miles isn't ridiculous. Some cars they seem to last forever, others they seem to get replaced every 50k miles!

Manufacturer/quality has a lot to do with it to and also how they are fitted

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Stef. The car still experiences this clicking sound after the replacement. The same humming sound seemed to not go away. When they looked at the velocity bearings, the grease on the inner ones turned liquid and spilled out. I was thinking, that's probably it, but I'm unsure. That's a costly repair, as its an assembly.

I would like to know if anyone has had similar experiences, because I am inclined to go with the following:

1. Flywheel? I am unsure as mine is a tiptronic TDCi model. Its roughly at 90k. I can feel slight slippage when stepping on the pedal and when the torque kicks in.

2. Velocity bearing, but I'm still iffy. It clicks on low speed, and there's a slight hum in high speed.

Appreciate the help! Thanks!

Its easier to replace the hub than the bearing as stef said not easy without causing damage so it could be the bearing still not sure if the flywheel would hum to be honest if its at speed it indicates a bearing

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club