Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Name: Jim
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2006

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Just joined as I'm off to view a Mondeo 2.2 TDCI Ghia on Saturday to replace my beloved Pajero 2.8LWB Exceed

Pajero is just too expensive on fuel, especially when towing our caravan(14mpg) and the Mondeo should return over 30mpg towing and over 50mpg solo

I've read on caravan forums the 2.2TDCI will tow it no prob but I've been bombarded by the doom and gloom merchants talking about clutches, DMF and injectors failing every 2nd day.

The car I'm seeing is a 2006 model with 65k miles, 1 owner and a full service history so it looks good. It'll also have a 12 month warranty

No pressure but how reliable are they? Are they just like everything else? Look after it and it'll be fine

I had an N reg one as a company car years ago and it was great but the doom merchants rant about the Euro 4 as being unreliable

What's the real story?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,156 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

I have a 2006 2.2tdci st. I have had it for 3 and a bit years with very little needing done.

Yes the DMFs and injector go eventually but tell me, what car is exempt from this? Absolutely none..

I have never towed a caravan with mine but I have towed a few cars.. It does it with ease!

#3 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Cheers. That's what I thought.
Funny how people see the worst in cars, usually when they don't have that type.
I was told pajero heads go all the time.
I've had them for ten years now and no serious problems.

I have a 2006 2.2tdci st. I have had it for 3 and a bit years with very little needing done.

Yes the DMFs and injector go eventually but tell me, what car is exempt from this? Absolutely none..

I have never towed a caravan with mine but I have towed a few cars.. It does it with ease!

#4 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,156 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Cheers. That's what I thought.
Funny how people see the worst in cars, usually when they don't have that type.
I was told pajero heads go all the time.
I've had them for ten years now and no serious problems.

Even with all the worry and scaremongering people like to do it still wasn't enough to put me off buying a mondeo 2.2tdci.

Granted the DMFs and injectors are expensive but they ain't cheap on any car. The mondeo has been an absolutely brilliant car and workhorse on many an occasion.

If my DMF was to go tomorow I would be a bit annoyed at having to pay out for it but I would be doing it myself so only costing me parts. It would still be a cracking car, it always will be until the day it's not worth keeping on the road

#5 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

Reassuring to hear I'm not the only one being told stories. Looks like I could be a mondeo driver soon

#6 SandyCat

SandyCat

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Name: Rick
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 1.4 Zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

I had an 06 2.2 TDCI for 3 years at 9000 miles a year and all I had to replace was the EGR valve (which is common on all of them) so reliability was not a problem for me.

After reading up on the forums I put a bottle of BG244 into a tank of Shell every year to keep the fuel system clean and prevent the lumpy tickover and cleaned the MAF once a year.

Also the way you drive it makes a difference.  Try not to do boy racer starts and don't accelerate hard in high gears - this will make the DMF last longer.  The clutches are fine but if the DMF shakes itself to bits it can take the clutch as starter motor out with it.

Obviously towing puts more of a strain on the car but just try and be as sympathetic as you can and it should be fine.  Some of these have done well over 100,000 miles without problem.

#7 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

My days of boy racing ended when I sold my m3
Bg244? is that like protec fuel system cleaner? I used that in my pajero every time I changed the fuel filter.

Good thing with this car is it has had one owner, only 65k miles and it'll have a 12 mnth warranty

#8 SandyCat

SandyCat

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

BG244 is proven to prevent the lumpy idle problem in the winter.  It cleans the injectors and works wonders.   I wouldn't trust any other fuel additive.   The tiny nozzles which operate under massive fuel pressures can get upset by the slightest fragment of glaze or thickening of the fuel and BG244 keeps it clear although it won't help worn injectors of course.

#9 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

I'll make sure I get some.

#10 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,156 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

I have never had any issues with fuel or lumpy idle and we have had a few cold winters.. The additives put in fuel from around October IIRC? Are there to change the freezing point and keep the fuel usable.
Personally I don't see the need for anything other than a good quality fuel in the first place. I only ever use shell, bp or esso.

#11 SandyCat

SandyCat

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

You maybe have not but many have and you only have to look at the massive lumpy idle Mk3 thread on STDrivers to see......   After my car was shaking so badly on idle one winter it stalled I used BG244 and it cured it once and for all.   It's just a preventive measure and up to you to use it now or wait if you have the issue.

#12 Turvey

Turvey

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Year: 2005

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Evening Jim. Nice to see you here  ;)

#13 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,156 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

You maybe have not but many have and you only have to look at the massive lumpy idle Mk3 thread on STDrivers to see......   After my car was shaking so badly on idle one winter it stalled I used BG244 and it cured it once and for all.   It's just a preventive measure and up to you to use it now or wait if you have the issue.

Perhaps because you only do 9000 miles a year then? Mine is doing over 20k with fresh fuel in it every week

#14 SandyCat

SandyCat

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

To be honest mate it seems to be a lottery affecting people with varying mileages.  I only ever used quality fuel and didn't hang about.  Some of them just seem to suffer in colder weather and others not.  Like I say there is a massive section on it on another forum and that's what led me to my fix.     Not a problem now as I have a petrol....  :)

#15 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

Illogical. Fancy seeing you here.
You were right. It's helped put my mind at rest after a certain doom n gloom merchant got me thinking.

Going to see the Mondeo Sat morning and someone coming to see the pajero in the afternoon

Evening Jim. Nice to see you here  ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users