• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Name: Jim
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2006

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Ello. Fancy seeing you here.
You were right. It's helped put my mind at rest after a certain doom n gloom merchant got me thinking.

Going to see the Mondeo Sat morning and someone coming to see the pajero in the afternoon

Evening Jim. Nice to see you here  ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

Bluddy autocorrect. :-)

Illogical. Fancy seeing you here.
You were right. It's helped put my mind at rest after a certain doom n gloom merchant got me thinking.

Going to see the Mondeo Sat morning and someone coming to see the pajero in the afternoon

#18 BOF

BOF

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

I think the situation - particularly with diesels - is that there are a few expensive things that can fail, but they aren't failing at any spectacular rate, and most people get away with it, fine. That said, on any modern car, whether petrol or diesel, some of the electronics can be spectacularly expensive, if you make the mistake of paying the main dealer prices...

Things that ought to concern you:

• DMF - can fail (wear out) from about 80k onward (depending on how it has been driven, etc). This is expensive (labour). If you look at the service history, and it hasn't been done (and it probably won't have), you'll probably want to mutter 'dmf...(suck some air through your teeth, for effect)..I hear that's expensive...are you sure it hasn't been done?' a few times, and see if that softens the purchase price, any.
  • Cam belts - usually reckoned to last 125 k plus (people change them at 125 k to be safe, as the consequences of one actually failing are not good, but you'll probably find someone who says that they have done three times that without a problem...what they won't tell you is, if everyone went for 375k how many would damage their engine getting there) so shouldn't be an issue, but it is the other expensive (predictable) thing
  • Injectors do fail; it is a low rate of background noise, but it does happen more than Petrols, seemingly

I'd say that all modern Diesels have a higher rate of expensive parts that can fail than Petrols, and I don't think you'll get away from that by buying Mercedes, BMW or Audi. In practice, for most people, the rate at which these parts do fail is such that you'll still be below the expensive service costs on 'the Germans' but, if the surprise of having one of these failures is going to put doubt on your ability to keep the car on the road, you may want to reconsider whether buying a Diesel is right for you.

#19 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Diesel is definitely what I need. For economy and low end grunt for towing my caravan.
The car I'm seeing has 65k on it and a full service history(1 owner) and I'll be getting a 12 month warranty.
Sounds like every car. There's always someone who's had a bad experience.
Don't mention 206s to my wife. Lol

#20 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,218 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Couldnt agree more with BOF's post, you do have expensive parts but its all about the TLC the car has. my car had a DMF Clutch replacement at 60K, I presume that in its early days it was driven like a bull in a china shop! but to me now after picking it up 50K later, it still feels tight as a drum!

#21 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I'm guessing this has been cared for as it's very low mileage and full service history

Hopefully and old lady or minister  :rolleyes:

Does the 2.2TDCI have a cam belt? I thought everything from 2.0 litre up was timing chains

Not going German. Had my share of BMW's(6 in total)

Thought about an Audi A4 until I heard they need a twin fan conversion for towing big caravans. They're pretty basic too

I think the Mondeo should suit me just fine. Now get ready for lots of dumb questions :)

#22 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,218 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

I believe it is a belt, there are so few are chains these days.

#23 BOF

BOF

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Diesel is definitely what I need. For economy and low end grunt for towing my caravan.
The car I'm seeing has 65k on it and a full service history(1 owner) and I'll be getting a 12 month warranty.
Sounds like every car. There's always someone who's had a bad experience.

Well, there is always someone who has a bad experience, but if you have a bad experience with a Diesel it will probably be a slightly worse experience than having a bad experience with a Petrol. Provided you are happy with that deal, and the chances are that it won't happen to you, you'll be ok.

You should also note that the 2.2 isn't quite as good on fuel economy around town than the 2 litre. On the motorways and dual carriageways there isn't much difference. That said, I think the 2.2 is what I'd go for, if I was doing a lot of towing.

...a 2006 model with 65k miles...

8 years and 65 k miles? If anything, you could be concerned with that for being on the low side, I'd rather see something like 12k per year. Make sure that it really does have the full service history, as some people only service them on mileage and not on time. (And I did see one car that only had been for its visit to see the Ford dealers for major and not minor services and that was described as having a full history, so you do have to check.)

#24 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,156 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

The 2.2 is a timing chain

#25 jimbro

jimbro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

At least that's one thing less to worry about.
Quite looking forward to seeing it a and test driving it.

#26 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,156 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

At least that's one thing less to worry about.
Quite looking forward to seeing it a and test driving it.

Despite weighing nearly 1600kg they can shift..

#27 SandyCat

SandyCat

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Name: Rick
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 1.4 Zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

Especially with Bluefin ;)  :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users