Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Spot The Poor Vauxhall!

nath.mk7.st

Must admit I fil to see how the lorry driver could be blamed for a collision.

It was a dangerous and illegal course of action the lorry was forced into (mounting the kerb). Whereas if he held his course and the car forced himself into the situation of a collision - presuming the lorry showed some form of evasive action (slowing down) then he would not be comitting any offence.

It was a dangerous and illegal course of action the lorry was forced into (mounting the kerb). Whereas if he held his course and the car forced himself into the situation of a collision - presuming the lorry showed some form of evasive action (slowing down) then he would not be comitting any offence.

I agree that the car is to blame here, but to me it looks like the lorry driver is deliberately closing the gap in front to stop the car from getting in it, so he's not entirely innocent. Either that or he just likes tailgating.

It looks like a filter in turn place and I suppose it would be somewhere along the lines of that car was the next in line for a space (even though he overtook)... It's probably one of those things that nobody could actually have an accident in that situation, without either completely avoiding taking any evasive action, or by just being completely unaware (in which case driving without due care etc)... So although it was entirely the other drivers dangerous driving, if the lorry driver were to make contact, it would probably be deemed as a separate offence, at least technically anyway..

Fair comment Ian! I suppose it depends on how much of a bad mood the traffic cop is in when he turns up to the scene :p

Any car that deliberately and dangerously attempts an overtake on a merging lane is to blame in my opinion. If you cannot judge the gap and you do it, its driving without due care. Merge in turn does not offer a "Give Way" to merging traffic in any means, and so the lorry had as much right to proceed as he did, the car should wait if necessary by stopping in the merge lane until it is safe to move in.

I think unless there was specific evidence to suggest that the lorry did deliberately manovre in a way to prevent the car merging, then its the cars fault. And even if he did pick up pace, its hard for a lorry to slow or stop, therefore if any blame was due, it would be very much less in his favour.

Those are my thoughts anyway :p plus, seeing a Corsa get written off by playing silly beggers would just be something to make my day!

Any car that deliberately and dangerously attempts an overtake on a merging lane is to blame in my opinion. If you cannot judge the gap and you do it, its driving without due care. Merge in turn does not offer a "Give Way" to merging traffic in any means, and so the lorry had as much right to proceed as he did, the car should wait if necessary by stopping in the merge lane until it is safe to move in.

I think unless there was specific evidence to suggest that the lorry did deliberately manovre in a way to prevent the car merging, then its the cars fault. And even if he did pick up pace, its hard for a lorry to slow or stop, therefore if any blame was due, it would be very much less in his favour.

Yes I agree, the car would absolutely be to blame if there was a collision, but if the lorry driver was being sensible and planning ahead he would have seen that car trying to overtake and just let him in. It's not worth trying to stop selfish drivers from cutting in front of you, although I'm being a bit of a hypocrite because I do this sometimes, especially when there's a lane closed and they go shooting up to the cones and push their way in, god I hate that :P

• Like 1

@hyrule youve got a lot of videos of !Removed! corsa drivers :) .personally the !Removed! drivers i come across daily are all toyota,pug or citreons

10 mph is very slow, most cyclists; unless they reach a nasty hill, will be doing over that...

I was thinking the same whenever stuck behind a cyclist I normally take a look at my speeder and often they are doing 20+mph that is actually a very fast way to travel

• Like 1

I was thinking the same whenever stuck behind a cyclist I normally take a look at my speeder and often they are doing 20+mph that is actually a very fast way to travel

Yeah they are normally going pretty fast, but I look at the double lines as a case-by-case thing, I mean sometimes they are on a long road with a slight bend, and you can see way ahead, it's easily safe enough to overtake a cyclist especially in a fast car. Although most cars these days can be quick from say 15 to 30.

• Like 1

James, re: the lorry driver. I totally agree with you, I wouldn't ever want the blame to be on anyone but the corsa driver (corsa? I can't remember now). Merge laws are not designed to be exploited like that, if you imagine left lane is even numbers and right lane is odd numbers, then often in merge lanes you expect it to follow 1,2,3,4 etc, if there is no one in the right lane to merge then it's totally fine for it to now become 1,3,4 etc...(2 odds after each other lol).

What I meant by the whole thing was pretty much just as you said, "depends on the traffic cops mood!", i.e. if you're on a roundabout and some twit pulls out in front of you but you have enough time to stop, then you probably should...as opposed to turning their car into a banana and then saying "well he shouldn't have pulled out in front of me"...

But then again, two cars is a bit different to a lorry and a corsa :p SQUASH IT! :lol:

• Like 2

Haha couldn't agree more, squash it dead lol

Yeah it's something I would hope the blame would only be pinned on the idiot lol

Yeah they are normally going pretty fast, but I look at the double lines as a case-by-case thing, I mean sometimes they are on a long road with a slight bend, and you can see way ahead, it's easily safe enough to overtake a cyclist especially in a fast car. Although most cars these days can be quick from say 15 to 30.

We do things a little different we aren't worried about breaking continuous white lines to pass out cyclists (and some times the odd car aswell) only recently they have brought laws in for cyclists ie always wear a helmet, where a high vis , make sure there is lighting on the bike front and back, and they are no longer allowed cycle on paths unless its a path designated with a cycle track and no more breaking red lights (this one is ignored most of the time which annoys me).

They used to have adds from the cyclist point of view that the car drivers should always be aware of cyclists and that cyclists are gods of the road ( which I have always disagreed with cause they don't pay tax to use the road) anyway there was a new add asking cyclists to show respect for the road and other road users.

I personally hate cyclists specially if there is a big cycle on cause usually if they start in my town which they normally do I find that trying to get out of my estate is a night mare with all there cars parked blocking my view makes it hard to get out let alone the cyclists that are cycling from one end of the town to the other (yes my town is tiny) I swear one day I'll move out and one will plow into the side of my car and my defence would be I couldn't see him had to move out to try to see left and right cause all there cars are blocking my view of the road I believe that I in the car should have righter way as I am paying road tax to be able to drive on the road

Couldn't agree more I think they should pay insurance as well

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

damn right and have there bikes NCT'D or MOT'd in England hahah

for Ireland it could be called NCBT (nation cycle bike test) (dont want to confuse the motor bikers)

and England it could be called CBOT (Cycle bike (what ever the OT stands for))

Yep coz they crash into to u u have your f##king insurance and bits to pay but they have nothing to pay

I apologise for the use of language on this post

• Like 1

Yep coz they crash into to u u have your f##king insurance and bits to pay but they have nothing to pay

I apologise for the use of language on this post

often you have to pay for injuries they sustained from ramming your car :angry:

I understand where you're coming from, but the way I understand it is that car drivers need to get at least 3rd party insurance in case they cause serious damage or injury, even death. A cycle is never going to cause any of this, well it's possible if they plough into a pedestrian at 30+, but compared to cars it's so unlikely, so imho insurance for them would be pointless.

As for tax, well they have no emissions ;)

No but if a cyclist crashed into your car and causes damage. Who has it to pay for

No but if a cyclist crashed into your car and causes damage. Who has it to pay for

Good point, can't really argue with you there. The only problem is you'd have to have bikes with number plates and all paperwork like you do with a car, it would be more hassle than it's worth.

• Like 1

Good point, can't really argue with you there. The only problem is you'd have to have bikes with number plates and all paperwork like you do with a car, it would be more hassle than it's worth.

There has been some serious talks on this matter recently within our government, with so many cyclists being hit on the roads.

There is the idea at the moment, that cyclists will need tax(though will be £0), mot (In the same way as a car, breaks & tires) & insurance. I really hope they do, as some insurance companies can be arseholes when it comes to who's at fault when a cyclist is involved. It's ok for them to claim from you, but when they cause the damage, it's like getting blood out of a stone.

Actually it's surprising the amount of damage a cyclist can cause to a pedestrian, especially if you count in any head contact with the pavement afterwards. You can cause a lot of damage as a driver if you are travelling at 20mph, granted a cyclist is lighter but it's still a fair bit of momentum.

On the insurance things, most 'serious' cyclists tend to have a form of insurance in case of any personal injury or damage caused to other 'stuff'... But it's certainly not mandatory... Perhaps it should be?

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

• Like 1

Horses they should have insurance and pay tax too. They !Removed! everywhere on roads and paths and never gets cleared up. They cause traffic as you have to slow right down and there horse shoes chip away at the road surfaces !! Tax/insure them or ban them!!!

P.s I don't like horses :P

• Like 1

damn right and have there bikes NCT'D or MOT'd in England hahah

for Ireland it could be called NCBT (nation cycle bike test) (dont want to confuse the motor bikers)

and England it could be called CBOT (Cycle bike (what ever the OT stands for))

MOT = Ministry Of Transport - so it'd probably be MOTCT or MOT Class C

I used to ride to/from school and the amount of car drivers who get get near the school and assume all cyclists are idiots, and start driving aggressively was unbelievable. More often than not, cyclists were walking along with their mates on the pavements. Those of us that rode off alone tended to ride slap bang in the middle of the road...the only way we could reduce the risk of having our handlebars clipped.

As an ex-cyclist, I do tend to show more patience towards them. Except the idiots who do just ride out infront of you from behind a bus!

Managed to finally pull the footage off the dashcam, not the greatest of picture as it was the other side of a roundabout, but heres the Corsa that ended up in its native position.

post-10869-0-59580700-1411767359_thumb.p