Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Intercooler Question

footfistart

Hello there not sure if this has been asked before but has anyone removed an intercooler. I only ask as I have finally got an aftermarket one. It's a direnza one and the guy who had it's previously said it's amazing on his diesel. So I'd imagine jack the car take the lower engine covers off to gain access to jubliee clips. Remove lover grille to access the mounting brackets and then remove the cooler. The one that's coming is roughly the same size just a thicker core. So if anyone knows would be much appreciated for some information on it.

Ryan

you should find the instructions in the haynes manual

i think mate you need to remove the front bumper to gain access to some of the bolts but i do belive it can be done without taking the bumper off.

have a look on the forge motorsport website as they normally have 'how to' guides.

If the set-up is anything like the ST then if space gets tight for removing the IC or fitting the newie , unbolting the radiator cradle from the underbody can help drop everything down.

Pretty sure the standard ST IC is very similar mounting to that used on tdci's in any case, undertrays off then 1 bolt at each end going into j-clips and of course jubilee clips as well. The cooler prob then just hangs on plastic fingers on the radiator assembly, so needs lifting up and off it comes.

If a bigger intercooler is going in you may need to relocate the horn, the IC may have a lug mounted for this, and be extra careful you don't disturb the cable from the upper grille to the bonnet latch. Also from my experience it's been hit and miss how well aftermarket IC's fit and what unexpected modifications are needed so be prepared for taking it on and off a few times, and finding the knack for the flightpath needed to get it in position.

That's one thing I don't have and I should really one. The intercooler is the same size and as the standard one perhaps slightly thicker but also it's faster flowing. So it should be fairly straight forward. You can get to most of it with just the grille off so I'd imagine I'll just take the flooring off and go from there. Is imagine it will go in and out a couple of times but who knows. I'll see how I get one I'm sure I'll find away with taking the bumper off. I don't have to touch the upper grille for that do I? Is imagine I do. The lock will be ok as it's a brand new lock for free courtesy of ford. It retails at 170 then fitting on top of that.

You have a pre facelift focus and the forge guide will come in use. There is also a website where someone has made a guide on thebumper removal called james something where he has upgraded his bumpers et

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Ford OC mobile app

No my focus is a mk2.5 and not a mk2. I think I know who you are on about. I'm sure I'll find out. Like I said I maybe able to donor without bumper removal. Here is a picture of my new cooler which will be arriving tomorrow afternoon.

post-27911-0-62400300-1405708067_thumb.j

Definitely do-able on the ST without taking the bumper off, or taking the grille out, if you can get under the car and drop the undertrays off.

Unless your engine type wasn't used on the Mk2 you'll probably find everything mechanical under the bodywork is the same as the pre-facelift cars so the guide will still be very useful to you. If your new IC is same height as the original then your lock cable will probably not get disturbed - more likely when you're fitting a much taller IC in there and can't see what's going on up top while fitting it from below. Just to be save you can operate the latch with a screwdriver while the bonnet is up and check your key releases it ok - much easier job to fix before you put the bonnet down and find you can't open it again :(

Look forward to the test drive review after fitting,

Oops my bad. That ic doesnt look muh bigger than a standard ic. Igd go for something a bit bigger mate for you to notice any gains. Sorry

That's ok not a problem. Well I've bought for a bargain and the car is being mapped in a couple of months with Dpf removal and exhaust fitted so I thought may as well remove another restriction. The guy had this cooler on his st and he said it worked really well if your just doing a stage one which is basically what I'm doing and with this add on he gain 11bhp before he had his car mapped. Now I may never gain that much before hand but it gives you an idea on how much of a better flow the cooler is. Before I install it I'll be giving it a good clean inside and out to remove any FOD before install.

Sorry troy I didn't see your post. That sounds promising. Well my car is a 60plate and being one of the last lot to be made before the new shape arrived. So I'd imagine things have improved and been moved ect ect. I guess we will see how it goes. If it's the case of dropping the undertray and removing the lower grille then it won't take long. I've just seen your post you sent me about bumper removal. Sounds complex and a two man job. Thanks for the iinformation.

In reality the last cars of a production run will have all the updates that have filtered through from warranty issues etc but will also have been subject to lots of cost-downs where Ford will try and reduce production costs. And once a new model is not too far away they'll cut right back on investing any more money in engineering changes unless absolutely necessary.

I hadn't realised myself just how much work was involved getting the front bumper off, on the other hand I've had lots of intercooler changing practice - simplified a bit but basically main undertray and bumper undertrays off, then do everything from under the car. You'd save yourself from having to remove the lower grille then, if it clips in same method as the ST the locating tabs go into letterbox slots in the bumper and it's pot luck how many of them break when you basically have to just pull the grille out :rolleyes:

Hope it all goes ok whichever way you decide to attack it :)

Oops my bad. That ic doesnt look muh bigger than a standard ic. Igd go for something a bit bigger mate for you to notice any gains. Sorry

It may flow better because its thicker (so the cross-sectional area is greater) + being made of alloy instead of steel means its thermal properties are better - both may increase power (even if its just a little) + allow the remap more potential gains

Going too big on the intercooler may often be a mistake, as it may increase lag/ raise the boost threshhold

Yeah that's right. I've been reading about flow. Happens to be in this months FAST FORD. I thought if I was to go bigger I would produce more lag and raise temperatures which I don't want. That's why I opted for a smaller one than other types. One because of funds would get me a higher branded one. Two i didn't fancy relocating the horn or disturb anything and cause more trouble. I know direnza isn't great but it does seem to be a good quality product. Even on other forums ie the mini forum some people have used them and think they are good. I know it may give me a slight increase but I'm not after huge amount. It's only a 1.6tdci so I can't go to far as injectors will max out at about 150ish is imagine. It's a 110. The Egr is blanked. I have a K&N 57s enclosed intake. So I thought the next thing in that line of fire is intercooler then remap with Dpf removal and exhaust. So I maybe pushing 140-150. Im doing this as I'm trying to make the car more reliable in the long run ie no Dpf changes and no egr so cleaner engine. And to get the best economy as I can. I do a lot of motoway. So more over taking power and the car will use less fuel cruising.

What do you think I can't think of much more you can do with it without getting the credit card out.

Ooo a question on the side of this. oil in the intercooler. Now when I replaced my intake I thought is have a look in the intake and noticed a film of oil? Is this normal. It's not huge amounts and car doesn't smoke at all. I thought is ask that's all. When the cooler arrives it will get cleaned inside and out before install and I make take the intercooler pipes off to also clean them.

Yeah that's right. I've been reading about flow. Happens to be in this months FAST FORD. I thought if I was to go bigger I would produce more lag and raise temperatures which I don't want. That's why I opted for a smaller one than other types. One because of funds would get me a higher branded one. Two i didn't fancy relocating the horn or disturb anything and cause more trouble. I know direnza isn't great but it does seem to be a good quality product. Even on other forums ie the mini forum some people have used them and think they are good. I know it may give me a slight increase but I'm not after huge amount. It's only a 1.6tdci so I can't go to far as injectors will max out at about 150ish is imagine. It's a 110. The Egr is blanked. I have a K&N 57s enclosed intake. So I thought the next thing in that line of fire is intercooler then remap with Dpf removal and exhaust. So I maybe pushing 140-150. Im doing this as I'm trying to make the car more reliable in the long run ie no Dpf changes and no egr so cleaner engine. And to get the best economy as I can. I do a lot of motoway. So more over taking power and the car will use less fuel cruising.

What do you think I can't think of much more you can do with it without getting the credit card out.

Ooo a question on the side of this. Oil in the intercooler. Now when I replaced my intake I thought is have a look in the intake and noticed a film of oil? Is this normal. It's not huge amounts and car doesn't smoke at all. I thought is ask that's all. When the cooler arrives it will get cleaned inside and out before install and I make take the intercooler pipes off to also clean them.

Nice one, with all the things you have already done, and your planned mods i think they are the best mods for getting the most out of the car without spending £££££££££££s (i think you have it spot -on, in my opinion)

if you plan to keep the car a while, and the Dual Mass Flywheel or clutch was to start "playing up" it may be worth changing it to a solid flywheel/SMF - you could upgrade your clutch to a heavier duty one (stronger, and with a higher clamping force, and with advanced/ upgraded materials like carbon fiber/ kevlar (this is what i have done on my Mondeo) or "fast road"/ "organic"- the upgraded SMF/ clutch may be no more expensive than an ordinary bog standard Ford one

the film of oil is from the crankcase breather, it goes in in front of the turbo compressor (in between the airbox and turbo ) and

coats all the boost pipes all the way to the inlet manifold/ engine, it tends to condense/ build up in the intercooler, and the oily residue mixes with the carbon from the EGR valve in the inlet manifold, forming an oily sludge

a crankcase breather catchtank coul be fitted to stop/ reduce the oil from the breather, you will need to get a special diesel one as petrol ones might have too small a diameter fittings, which can restrict the breather airflow - im getting one specially made

Another thing worth considering is getting a watrrspray for your intercooler, recent tests have shown painting the lntercooler black cam help the performance, i have a theory that painting the front black, and leaving the back of the intercooler shiny/ silver will give the best results

edit - add link (black intercooler)

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/59154-black-intercooler/

• Like 1

A black intercooler well I never thought of that? I suppose I could try that? It's arrived today and it's in fantastic condition. The guy had it's from new with no fin damage. That's always a good thing. I need to give it a clean out before I install it but I've seen lots of different ways to clean it out. But I don't know what I can do to help. I have some g101 to hand so I suppose I could use that but it is corrosive so I don't it to corrode inside. Must be something good. I'd love to have a catch tank made but I can't seem to find any for diesels. I'm not quite sure how to go go about it? I've seen some people just put a filter on the end of there breathers? I can't do that because ilk have to blank the hole off? Perhaps some samco? I'm glad you think I'm going in the right direction. I would like to upgrade but I'll only do that when the clutch slips. Do know anywhere that will do this as a direct swap? I don't fancy messing about with bits like that. Not confident. If it was an aircraft then I'd definitely do it all day long.

Water injection is another thing on my list of things to do but I would have a clue where to start? A guide anywhere you might know of?

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I may spray my intercooler. Sounds very interesting.

Many Thanks

Ryan

• Like 1

Just wait a couple of weeks and nature will sort out that water injection for your intercooler ;)

My pro-alloy IC is black, but generally a lot of the aftermarket ones I've seen are just bare silver.

Cleaning it out inside I'd just go for strong mix of washing up liquid with pretty hot water then let it dry out - that's how my brother cleans off bike engine parts (heads, crankcases etc) after they've been in the washing tank.

For your oil breather definitely do your research before modifying it, the oil recirc systems are bit more complex now than in the past where it basically fed to the airbox.

• Like 1

The oil breather pipe in the 1.6TDCi feeds in to the rear of the air box inlet pipe,

The middle rear of the hose linking turbo to air box,

Its already separated in two half's with a male-male connector in the centre,

Simply remove the male-male and fit a ventilated catch tank.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/330681287135?nav=SEARCH

Diesel or petrol same oil,

All catch tanks are the same.

I can show pictures tomorrow if required,

As Troy says washing up liquid and boiling water will work. Be careful as yours being an alloy ic i wouldnt want to use any harsh chemicals.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

No I dont want to use any harsh stuff either so I'll use some Meguiars gold class I also have autobrite magifoam. They are both oh neutral. Leave it to soak with rubber cloves on the inlet/outlet. Like I said it was on a focus st so I'm not sure how much oil breathe out but the condition of the inlet/outlet pipes were fairly clean after being on the car for 18months.

oil catch yank. I've asked on here before a while but no one really knew about it for a diesel. I would love some pictures but they need toclear enough so a two year old can uunderstand it. I'm still learning my way around the car. But any pictures would be much appreciated.

What are people's thoughts on water meth injection?

• Like 1

No I dont want to use any harsh stuff either so I'll use some Meguiars gold class I also have autobrite magifoam. They are both oh neutral. Leave it to soak with rubber cloves on the inlet/outlet. Like I said it was on a focus st so I'm not sure how much oil breathe out but the condition of the inlet/outlet pipes were fairly clean after being on the car for 18months.

Oil catch yank. I've asked on here before a while but no one really knew about it for a diesel. I would love some pictures but they need toclear enough so a two year old can uunderstand it. I'm still learning my way around the car. But any pictures would be much appreciated.

What are people's thoughts on water meth injection?

ill post pictures tomorrow of the breather pipe,

Found it last week wgen changing oil filter,

I work with methanol aswell as many other solvents and i can tell you it eats rubber,

I wouldnt use it unless my engine was rebuilt with teflon seals

I find that petrol is good for cleaning the oil out of the inside of the intercooler, seems to work and does not seem to corrode the inside of the intercooler - can be left to evaporate too

Although petrol and diesel breather catchtanks work on the same principal, diesel engines have a lot of crankcase pressure compared to petrol engines, the diameter of the engine breather outlet/ hose is often quite large on a diesel

if you fit a breather catchtank designed for a petrol engine that has a smaller diameter than the breather on your diesel, it can restrict the airflow, this can increase the pressure inside the crankcase

For example, the inlets/ outlets on the catchtank Lenny suggested are only 12mm (tiny) the the breather outlets on a typical diesel are 25mm (a lot bigger)

Many breather catchtanks have 15mm outlets/ inlets (still way too small for a diesel)

the intakes/ outlets on the catchtank must be at least as big as the breather hoses - makes them difficult to obtain for a diesel

The trouble in using a filter on the breather (or a vented catchtank) is the fumes can find their way into the cabin, they can contain carbon monoxide (thats why the breather is fed back into the engine air intake) -

for a road car i recommend fitting a (filterless/ no vent to the outside) catchtank with the outlet fed back into the intake (following the same route as before/ as stock)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club