Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci 110
  • Year: 2011

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

Yeah that's right. I've been reading about flow. Happens to be in this months FAST FORD. I thought if I was to go bigger I would produce more lag and raise temperatures which I don't want. That's why I opted for a smaller one than other types. One because of funds would get me a higher branded one. Two i didn't fancy relocating the horn or disturb anything and cause more trouble. I know direnza isn't great but it does seem to be a good quality product. Even on other forums ie the mini forum some people have used them and think they are good. I know it may give me a slight increase but I'm not after huge amount. It's only a 1.6tdci so I can't go to far as injectors will max out at about 150ish is imagine. It's a 110. The Egr is blanked. I have a K&N 57s enclosed intake. So I thought the next thing in that line of fire is intercooler then remap with Dpf removal and exhaust. So I maybe pushing 140-150. Im doing this as I'm trying to make the car more reliable in the long run ie no Dpf changes and no egr so cleaner engine. And to get the best economy as I can. I do a lot of motoway. So more over taking power and the car will use less fuel cruising.

What do you think I can't think of much more you can do with it without getting the credit card out.

Ooo a question on the side of this. Oil in the intercooler. Now when I replaced my intake I thought is have a look in the intake and noticed a film of oil? Is this normal. It's not huge amounts and car doesn't smoke at all. I thought is ask that's all. When the cooler arrives it will get cleaned inside and out before install and I make take the intercooler pipes off to also clean them.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Yeah that's right. I've been reading about flow. Happens to be in this months FAST FORD. I thought if I was to go bigger I would produce more lag and raise temperatures which I don't want. That's why I opted for a smaller one than other types. One because of funds would get me a higher branded one. Two i didn't fancy relocating the horn or disturb anything and cause more trouble. I know direnza isn't great but it does seem to be a good quality product. Even on other forums ie the mini forum some people have used them and think they are good. I know it may give me a slight increase but I'm not after huge amount. It's only a 1.6tdci so I can't go to far as injectors will max out at about 150ish is imagine. It's a 110. The Egr is blanked. I have a K&N 57s enclosed intake. So I thought the next thing in that line of fire is intercooler then remap with Dpf removal and exhaust. So I maybe pushing 140-150. Im doing this as I'm trying to make the car more reliable in the long run ie no Dpf changes and no egr so cleaner engine. And to get the best economy as I can. I do a lot of motoway. So more over taking power and the car will use less fuel cruising.

What do you think I can't think of much more you can do with it without getting the credit card out.

Ooo a question on the side of this. Oil in the intercooler. Now when I replaced my intake I thought is have a look in the intake and noticed a film of oil? Is this normal. It's not huge amounts and car doesn't smoke at all. I thought is ask that's all. When the cooler arrives it will get cleaned inside and out before install and I make take the intercooler pipes off to also clean them.

Nice one, with all the things you have already done, and your planned mods i think they are the best mods for getting the most out of the car without spending £££££££££££s (i think you have it spot -on, in my opinion)

if you plan to keep the car a while, and the Dual Mass Flywheel or clutch was to start "playing up" it may be worth changing it to a solid flywheel/SMF - you could upgrade your clutch to a heavier duty one (stronger, and with a higher clamping force, and with advanced/ upgraded materials like carbon fiber/ kevlar (this is what i have done on my Mondeo) or "fast road"/ "organic"- the upgraded SMF/ clutch may be no more expensive than an ordinary bog standard Ford one  

the film of oil is from the crankcase breather, it goes in in front of the turbo compressor (in between the airbox and turbo ) and

coats all the boost pipes all the way to the inlet manifold/ engine, it tends to condense/ build up in the intercooler, and the oily residue mixes with the carbon from the EGR valve in the inlet manifold, forming an oily sludge

a crankcase breather catchtank coul be fitted to stop/ reduce the oil from the breather, you will need to get a special diesel one as petrol ones might have too small a diameter fittings, which can restrict the breather airflow - im getting one specially made

Another thing worth considering is getting a watrrspray for your intercooler, recent tests have shown painting the lntercooler black cam help the performance, i have a theory that painting the front black, and leaving the back of the intercooler shiny/ silver will give the best results

edit - add link (black intercooler)

http://www.fordowner...ck-intercooler/      

#18 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

A black intercooler well I never thought of that? I suppose I could try that? It's arrived today and it's in fantastic condition. The guy had it's from new with no fin damage. That's always a good thing. I need to give it a clean out before I install it but I've seen lots of different ways to clean it out. But I don't know what I can do to help. I have some g101 to hand so I suppose I could use that but it is corrosive so I don't it to corrode inside. Must be something good. I'd love to have a catch tank made but I can't seem to find any for diesels. I'm not quite sure how to go go about it? I've seen some people just put a filter on the end of there breathers? I can't do that because ilk have to blank the hole off? Perhaps some samco? I'm glad you think I'm going in the right direction. I would like to upgrade but I'll only do that when the clutch slips. Do know anywhere that will do this as a direct swap? I don't fancy messing about with bits like that. Not confident. If it was an aircraft then I'd definitely do it all day long.
Water injection is another thing on my list of things to do but I would have a clue where to start? A guide anywhere you might know of?

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I may spray my intercooler. Sounds very interesting.

Many Thanks

Ryan

#19 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,449 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

#20 troy45

troy45

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 314 posts
  • Name: Troy
  • Ford Model: Focus ST

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Just wait a couple of weeks and nature will sort out that water injection for your intercooler ;)

My pro-alloy IC is black, but generally a lot of the aftermarket ones I've seen are just bare silver.

Cleaning it out inside I'd just go for strong mix of washing up liquid with pretty hot water then let it dry out - that's how my brother cleans off bike engine parts (heads, crankcases etc) after they've been in the washing tank.

For your oil breather definitely do your research before modifying it, the oil recirc systems are bit more complex now than in the past where it basically fed to the airbox.

#21 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,449 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

The oil breather pipe in the 1.6TDCi feeds in to the rear of the air box inlet pipe,
The middle rear of the hose linking turbo to air box,

Its already separated in two half's with a male-male connector in the centre,
Simply remove the male-male and fit a ventilated catch tank.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...7135?nav=SEARCH

Diesel or petrol same oil,
All catch tanks are the same.

I can show pictures tomorrow if required,

#22 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

As Troy says washing up liquid and boiling water will work. Be careful as yours being an alloy ic i wouldnt want to use any harsh chemicals.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

#23 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

No I dont want to use any harsh stuff either so I'll use some Meguiars gold class I also have autobrite magifoam. They are both oh neutral. Leave it to soak with rubber cloves on the inlet/outlet. Like I said it was on a focus st so I'm not sure how much oil breathe out but the condition of the inlet/outlet pipes were fairly clean after being on the car for 18months.

Oil catch yank. I've asked on here before a while but no one really knew about it for a diesel. I would love some pictures but they need toclear enough so a two year old can uunderstand it. I'm still learning my way around the car. But any pictures would be much appreciated.

What are people's thoughts on water meth injection?

#24 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,449 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

No I dont want to use any harsh stuff either so I'll use some Meguiars gold class I also have autobrite magifoam. They are both oh neutral. Leave it to soak with rubber cloves on the inlet/outlet. Like I said it was on a focus st so I'm not sure how much oil breathe out but the condition of the inlet/outlet pipes were fairly clean after being on the car for 18months.
Oil catch yank. I've asked on here before a while but no one really knew about it for a diesel. I would love some pictures but they need toclear enough so a two year old can uunderstand it. I'm still learning my way around the car. But any pictures would be much appreciated.
What are people's thoughts on water meth injection?

ill post pictures tomorrow of the breather pipe,
Found it last week wgen changing oil filter,

I work with methanol aswell as many other solvents and i can tell you it eats rubber,
I wouldnt use it unless my engine was rebuilt with teflon seals

#25 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:56 AM

I find that petrol is good for cleaning the oil out of the inside of the intercooler, seems to work and does not seem to corrode the inside of the intercooler - can be left to evaporate too  

Although petrol and diesel breather catchtanks work on the same principal, diesel engines have a lot of crankcase pressure compared to petrol engines, the diameter of the engine breather outlet/ hose is often quite large on a diesel  

if you fit a breather catchtank designed for a petrol engine that has a smaller diameter than the breather on your diesel, it can restrict the airflow, this can increase the pressure inside the crankcase

For example, the inlets/ outlets on the catchtank Lenny suggested are only 12mm (tiny) the the breather outlets on a typical diesel are 25mm (a lot bigger)

Many breather catchtanks have 15mm outlets/ inlets (still way too small for a diesel)

the intakes/ outlets on the catchtank  must be at least as big as the breather hoses - makes them difficult to obtain for a diesel  

The trouble in using a filter on the breather (or a vented catchtank) is the fumes can find their way into the cabin, they can contain carbon monoxide (thats why the breather is fed back into the engine air intake) -

for a road car i recommend fitting a (filterless/ no vent to the outside) catchtank  with the outlet fed back into the intake (following the same route as before/ as stock)         

#26 Jay87

Jay87

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec (Climate)
  • Year: 2005

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

I would be interested to know how you get in with the upgraded intercooler, I was looking at the ST ones as they are slightly bigger they have about 4 or 5 more rows than the one fitted on my 1.8, not sure if it'll be worth the bother of changing.

#27 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Update.... Intercooler will be fitted this Saturday and a good test drive will be done and a review with pictures of installed will be provided for anyone else who is thinking about doing this. One step close to the remap. Just need enough funds for exhaust change, Dpf gut and remap. Just started new job so it won't be for a while though. It does have more rows I believe. Not many more as far as I can see but I won't know until both are out side by side. But everything else about the new cooler is that all the other dimensions are the same and the inlet/outlet pipes are in the same place. Do bring in Saturday.

#28 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Gave myself abit of a fright today. Just finished polishing my intercooler and I thought I'd go to my car and count the rows. It's got ten and the aftermarket one has 8. So then I thought of measure the original one. That's when I got scared. The original one is bigger!!! I measured from one end of the rows to the other. But then I removed the wind reflectors and measures the entire length and it's the same size as the original. I then measured where the mounts were and they are in the right place. I thought thank god for that or is havea big cry. Anyways here are some ppictures of it before and after polishing.

The cooler is currently drying off after being washed inside with megs gold class. Loads of stuff came out. It's had a layer of AG EGP as that's the only sealant I've got to hand.

Anyways here we go....

Before

IMAG1144.jpg

IMAG1141.jpg

After polishing with nushine. Aircraft polish for stainless.

IMAG1153.jpg

And I polished the front and removed the painted logo. It's still got it on the back. I'd much rather something shiny :) these pics are it during I haven't got anything after as sealant is curing.

IMAG1155.jpg

IMAG1159.jpg

More pics to come tomorrow then Saturday all being well weather wise it will be installed. And a review and install guide will be posted for people who are interested.

#29 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Nice work mate, hope it goes well for you tomorrow

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Ford OC mobile app

#30 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

I decided I finish off the cooler so here are the final shots of it. It's not the best but Its the best I could do with the tools I had to hand.

I used a das6 pro with Nushine for stainless steel and other alloys. Its not an aggressive compound as I just wanted to clean the stains off and add some shine. Once polished it was refined with megs ultimate compound. Once refined cooker was jet washed and cleaned inside with megs gold class shampoo. Cooler then rinsed after about ten minutes of soaking and a fair bit of crud came out but not too bad as this cooler was in a st before.

Final shots

IMAG1162.jpg

IMAG1163.jpg

IMAG1169.jpg

IMAG1166.jpg

IMAG1170.jpg

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users