Do Not Sell My Personal Information

18 Inch Alloys On Standard Focus Mk 2.5 Help

Bailes90

Hi all I'm fairly new to this new to posting anyway mainly browse info is great thanks, anyway I have genuine focus St alloys 18 inch on my focus mk2.5 zetec with 20mm spacers on all round my question is if I remove the spacers will I have any issues with weeks rubbing or anything any help much appreciated the tyre size is 225/40/18 as well if that is any help and all suspension is standard

• Like 1

Not sure about mk2.5 but on the mk3 you need steering rack limiters for 18".

I would imagine it is the same.

• Like 1

Ford did a fair selection of 18" wheels as accessories or option packs for the Focus, only difference being they are 7.5" rims compared to the ST's 8" rims - however they all run the 225/40 tyres.

Whether that half an inch difference can make the difference between rubbing or not I couldn't say - I'd suspect not but best to see if someone else can confirm it.

• Like 1

I reckon best person to ask is Lenny as I think he put 18" St Snowflake alloys on Eibach lowered springs. He has a steering rack limiter and camber bolts in the rear if I am not mistaken on a Mk2.5 1.6 TDCI.

• Like 1

Yh I was told that I would need a steering rack limiter for a non ford rim and any larger tyres

Cheers all put them on and went full lock no problems awesome

• Like 1

I reckon best person to ask is Lenny as I think he put 18" St Snowflake alloys on Eibach lowered springs. He has a steering rack limiter and camber bolts in the rear if I am not mistaken on a Mk2.5 1.6 TDCI.

Thanks Hassen,

Yh I was told that I would need a steering rack limiter for a non ford rim and any larger tyres

Genuine facelift Focus ST snow flake are 18x8 as saw below:

Image2665_zpsb0d2f00a.jpg

Image2667_zps75cc54dc.jpg

you wont need the steering limiter kit for the wheels unless you fit lowering springs which brings the arch lower around the wheel,

If fitting 18x7.5 you wouldn't need the steering limiter kit lowered or standard stance,

Also if lowering regardless of wheel size you will require Eibach adjustable rear camber bolts cost between 20-30 pounds and prevent any negative camber,

IMG_20130117_123845.jpg

Negative camber is when the face of the wheel begins to face towards the sky causing excessive wear on the inside of the tyre.

Eibach-Camber_zps495c13c9.jpg

In any case though 18" rims are not recommended to be fitted on the 1.4 petrol focus if anyone drives one of those, bigger rims contribute to "unsprung mass"

Unsprung mass is:

Any heavy part fitted outside of the chassis i.e bigger rims,

The additional weight effects the acceleration of the vehicle due to turning a bigger mass,

However the lower tyre profile aswell as wider contact greatly improves the lateral grip and handling of the vehicle.

Overall if you have a 1.8 or 2.0TDCi and want 18's go for it,

However if you have a stock 1.6TDCi 90PS then prepare to lose a bit of power after fitting 18's but a remap will sort things out.

Hope this info helps yourself and future readers via Google.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On Friday, July 18, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Lenny said:

Wow! Thanks Lenny.

I Googled this question and it came up with this forum and and your amazing answer. I couldn't have wished for a better explanation to my question.

It's thanks to knowledgeable people like you, that, people like me who love styling and cars, but have no idea about the intricate technical stuff, can do things to our cars with peace of mind!

So, for that, I just wanted to say.

Thank You!

(P.S. I created an account, just so I could write this)

• Like 3

Quick hijack. I have a Mk2.5 2.0tdci with the Titanium 18" Snowflakes. I'm after the 19" RS alloys. But will I need the steering rack limiter too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Definitely.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club