Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 jdjw

jdjw

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: 3 door fiesta zetec 1.25, bluetooth
Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Did you get anymore info on fitting the usb, lots of us would be interested in the outcome. :rolleyes:

Ok guys, update time:

Phoend the dealer today, using my angry voice. He recons that they need to lean on someone from the office; apparently this is something ford really don't want people to do, so there is no documentation from them. The whiff of bullshit is becoming overpowering, but as the option to fit USB was a dealbreaker when I bought it, I recon it is possible.

According to my dealer, I will need to take apart the centre console and remove the radio unit. The socket should fit straight into the back of the radio with no further modification, and the radio software should update itself to include it. If not, they can apparently update the software at a service.

On an unrelated note, NEVER park your car in Wembly Stadium's multistory car park; I folded the wing mirrors, parked in the corner furthest from any exit, and some w***er still managed to scuff up my front bumper :( Time for T-Cut!

#18 Truly55

Truly55

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Ford Model: Hot Magenta Titanium 1.4 with Tech Pack

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Ok guys, update time:

Phoend the dealer today, using my angry voice. He recons that they need to lean on someone from the office; apparently this is something ford really don't want people to do, so there is no documentation from them. The whiff of bullshit is becoming overpowering, but as the option to fit USB was a dealbreaker when I bought it, I recon it is possible.

According to my dealer, I will need to take apart the centre console and remove the radio unit. The socket should fit straight into the back of the radio with no further modification, and the radio software should update itself to include it. If not, they can apparently update the software at a service.

On an unrelated note, NEVER park your car in Wembly Stadium's multistory car park; I folded the wing mirrors, parked in the corner furthest from any exit, and some w***er still managed to scuff up my front bumper :( Time for T-Cut!

Sorry to hear about the scuff. It's really annoying when it happens to a new car. Unless you feel T-Cut is necessary I'd stear well clear as it tends to add scratches. Personally, I'd use Meguiars Ultimate Compound. It's brilliant at cutting and removing scratches but won't add any more in the process.

#19 greenymk7

greenymk7

Area Rep: Midlands (Detailing Guru)

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec-S TDCI

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

Sorry to hear about the scuff. It's really annoying when it happens to a new car. Unless you feel T-Cut is necessary I'd stear well clear as it tends to add scratches. Personally, I'd use Meguiars Ultimate Compound. It's brilliant at cutting and removing scratches but won't add any more in the process.

any compound polish will add scratches if its not applied properly. as long as your remember to wax after polishing otherwise u will be left with no protection

#20 aston

aston

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: mk7
Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

Sorry for my English!

Could be that all head units have same PCB inside and same software, but some parts like USB and bluetooth is chips could be missing. Something like that could be seen on PC mother boards. Some mother boards could use same BIOS, same PCB but on some version you will have RAID controller firewire, LAN and etc. and on others, places for those chips will be empty. Similar situation could be with head units.

Other possibility is that head unit have some jumpers inside by which some options could be disabled or enabled. This is more likely if ford requested to be made by MCU factory, special deigned MCU for their head units which will have everything implemented in one chip.

I have also few other idea how ford could made head units but without comparing head units with or without USB will be very difficult to know, can USB be implemented after post-delivery. This means head unit must be extracted from car and needs to be open all the way to the main PCB.

Aston

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users