Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel, Etc.

Keefyjet

An apology in advance if these issues have already been covered/answered.

I have a 2010 Fusion Zetec with the standard ‘Classic’ five spoke 6x15” alloy wheels, shod with 195/60 R15 tyres. Thus the tyre o/d is 24.213”.

I have what Ford term a ‘Tyre Mobility Kit’, thus there is no spare wheel/tyre and no jack or brace included.

I see there’s the option of a 14” ‘temporary steel spare’ shod with a 125/80 R14 low Rolling Resistance tyre. Thus the tyre o/d is 21.875”. Still no jack or brace though, to enable its fitting!

Is Ford serious, fitting one wheel/tyre combo with an o/d 2.338” less than the remaining 3? It’s, obviously, even worse if you have the 16” wheels fitted, as that works out to an o/d of 24.449”, giving a greater difference!

I’ve heard of ‘3 wheels on my wagon’ but this seems to be going a step too far – and seems dangerous? I had a ‘Noddy Car’ spare supplied with my Honda Prelude, back in the 80’s, but at lease it’s o/d was the same as the other 4!

Now call me old fashioned, but I prefer a ‘proper’ spare wheel/tyre, which matches the other 4, plus a jack and a brace to fit it.

However, is the wheel well capable of taking one (I suppose it should be, otherwise where does one put the damaged wheel/tyre after fitting the temporary spare?) but is there a location for a jack/brace to be stored?

I have a jack and brace from a 1996 Ford Fiesta. Whilst I know the brace fits the Fusion wheel nuts ok I’m unsure as to the compatibility of the jack, not having got down and dirty to remove the jacking point trim covers. My old Fiesta jack has a slot type location but does that suit the Fusion – and is it still capable weight capacity wise?

I’d be grateful if anyone out there could answer my questions re all this and, maybe, even point me towards any reputable sites re spares - esp. wheels/tyres and jacks!

to be honest, its becoming a more and more visible pattern in all cars, if your lucky enough to get a spare tyre and not a repair foam kit, then you will almost always get the smaller space saver variety.

These tyres are meant to get you off the motorway and onto the next service area, they are restricted (by advice) to 56mph if not less in order to prevent it blowing out. The pressure is high in order to support the weight of the car and the ability to run, but by no means are they perfect.

As I say, they are meant to get you out of the frying pan, out of the fire and just onto the next safe place. That way you can get a recovery or tyre fitter to come out, and sort you out, or get you hitched up so you are out to safety.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club