Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse Clunk

MattJakeT

Again sorry if this topic has been discussed many times...

Love the fiesta, however even when engaging reverse at idle there is a definite clunk and almost judder from the gears (only for a second or two), more so than other cars i have been in. The only way I have been able to combat this so far is to push it into 3rd then revers, or wait 5 seconds after the clutch is down.

Not that much of an issue to be frank but is it more of a feature on the mark 7s or should I get it looked at?

Cheers

Matt

believe this is a quirk of the gearbox I'm afraid and there is no syncro in reverse gear like most gearboxes, so you do have to push the clutch down for 3-5 seconds to wait for the gears to slow down before engaging.

Been told it was part of the cost cutting measures when developing the car, personally i think its a stupid idea

• Like 1

Put it in neutral and pump the clutch pedal a couple of times.

Not sure if it's more about this causing you to wait a couple of seconds before selecting reverse or if the pumping actually does something but it always worked on my mk1 Focus :d

Sent from my S5

• Like 1

Mine doesn't do that? Mine goes straight in without clunkyness.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Mine doesn't do that? Mine goes straight in without clunkyness.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

The ST has a 6spd which is a different gearbox, so has a synchro on reverse. But the IB5 which is on lots of 5spd Fords and is pretty ancient now does not have one on reverse... Hence the clunk/grind/can't get it into reverse because the mountains of the cogs hit.

Honestly I wouldn't think so. The lack in a synchro won't break the gearbox over time, crunching the gears and trying to change as fast as possible will do it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

My old Zetec did this, but my Titanium doesn't, both MK7's,

I took it to Ford and they couldn't recreate it, so I sat there and did it myself and it made a disgusting noise.

They took another look at it, said they couldn't find anything out of the ordinary but they must of done something because if it ever did make a noise it was a lot shorter and quieter, and it did it less often. Strange.

• Like 1

Probally stuck a banana in the gearbox to quieten it down lmao.

Some times its easier to put it into 3rd then reverse. Standard ib5 gearbox im affraid

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I found that putting it into first before you reverse helped a lot, think this is something to do with the first and reverse in the fiesta, basically being the same gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Think someone previous said about it. But ill repeat lol reverse is a straight cut gear in the ib5 gearbox. Theres no syncromesh on it. So its like a curve going into a straight. Plus i cant remeber if there is a baulk ring on them to slow down the speed enough to let t engage correctly. Been a while since i last stripped one down

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have a 20 year old Ford Puma Thunder very low mileage been SORN for 8 months Got load clunking noise twice when reversing and then a grating/groaning noise when set of forward. After that no re occupancies. Is this likely to be same problem 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club