Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foot Well Lights Help!!

sonic113

Ok after a long time I now am getting around to adding foot well lights to the focus. Can someone give me a list if what I need and links to the best place to get them. I want to add foot well lights to the front and rear and have them red to match with the dash lights.

I did see a guide by Lenny somewhere a while back but can't find it and there was something about a ignition light wiring loom and taping into that I think.

Any help welcome as I want to get all ordered first and collected up ready to start.

Thanks.

Also anyone who has done this if you can any post pics of the finished mod it would be great.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Guide can be found here.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/34704-guide-fitting-footwell-lighting-to-your-ford/

Have you had a look in your footwell to see if anything is there already? For example my 2008 focus came with the wiring and bulb holders all in place so was just a case of popping in two LED Bulbs.

• Like 1

Mine was the same as hyrule - just needed to pop the bulbs in. Very cheap mod!

Mine's a 2008 Zetec.

• Like 1

Hi i done this and got the blue led strips from maplins as can be cut to size. I wired them into the dome light so that they come on when the doors open and you can turn them on from the dome light switch. I will find the diagram for it if you like

Ok after a long time I now am getting around to adding foot well lights to the focus. Can someone give me a list if what I need and links to the best place to get them. I want to add foot well lights to the front and rear and have them red to match with the dash lights.

I did see a guide by Lenny somewhere a while back but can't find it and there was something about a ignition light wiring loom and taping into that I think.

Any help welcome as I want to get all ordered first and collected up ready to start.

Thanks.

Also anyone who has done this if you can any post pics of the finished mod it would be great.

Thanks again.

All my guides are linked on my profile page,

The links dont display if logged in via the FOC app but viewable via any internet browser,

Just click on my aviator pic to view links mate,

Add me as your friend for easy short cut to my profile aswell :)

happy to assist should you have any questions just post in the relevant guide and i will respond,

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus Mk2.5 ZetecS rear Diffuser Click Here

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus Mk2.5 ZetecS Front Lip spoiler Click Here

Is Your Focus Rusting Click Here For More Information

Guide To Activating Single & Multi Door Unlock on yor Ford Click Here

Guide To Spraying Rear View Mirror Click Here

Guide To Changing Lower Front Grill On Mk2.5 Focus Click Here

The Ultamate Reverse Bulb Click Here

Guide to Fitting Custom Built Climate Controls on Focus Click Here

Guide to Converting Rear Fog Light To Clear Click Here

Custom Lazer Cut Interior Parts For Your Ford Click Here

Ford Serial Number Without Removing Stereo Click Here

Guide to Fitting New Ford Mist Type Jets on all Models Click Here

Guide to Fitting additional Boot Light Click Here

The Ultimate Rear Seat Protection Click Here

Guide To Storing Vehicle For Long Periods Click Here

Guide To Fitting ST Gauge Pod To Focus Dash Click Here

Guide To Fitting Focus Led badge Light Click Here

Guide To Fitting Second Reverse Light Ford Focus Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to Fitting Auto Dimmer Unit to Gauges or DRL's Click Here

Guide to Fitting additional 12v Socket in Boot of Focus Click Here

Full ZetecS Kit Fitted to Mk2.5 Focus Click Here

Guide to Fitting Footwell Lighting In Your Ford Click Here

Guide to Induction Filter Upgrade in Your Ford Click Here

Guide to Fitting Custom Bonnet Dampers Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to wiper Blade Change Focus Mk2 Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to Fitting EGR Blanking Plate 1,6TDCi Click Here

Guide to fitting Ford puddle lights Focus 05-12 Click Here

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus RS LED tail lights Mk2.5 Click Here

thanks Lenny i will have a look through the guide after work.

• Like 1

I just have to add that I followed Lenny's guide to adding footwell lights last year and it work a treat. Still have them (in red as you're planning) and they look great. If you're looking to add footwell lights I would say its worth looking into changing the flood lights as well.

• Like 1

Steve have you any pictures of them all light up? Did you get the exact lights Lenny has linked to in the guide?

• Like 1

Lenny I have had a read through the guide and would like to know a few things.

I don't have any socket holders under my front footwells.

So do I need an ignition barrel light?

Also is it better to use LEDs rather than bulbs?

When all is installed will it work like the interior roof light example fade on and off when the door is opened closed or car is locked unlocked. If so that would be great.

If you could link to some materials I would be greatful I can t get the links in the guide to work in my browser on tablet.

Do you have any videos of you footwell lights working just to get an idea.

I would like yo keep all lights like a red color to match with the dash lights if this is possible.

Thanks lenny I appreciate you help mate.

• Like 1

you dont need the ignition barrel, but its easier to get it all done in one go, then take the footwell feeds from the ignition barrel.

one of the lads in the fiesta forum did this, but he instead ran the speaker wire straight to the light itself, and wrapped it around the contact points, so it just ran exactly the same as the lights

• Like 1

Do you have any videos of you footwell lights working just to get an idea.

I'll create a video tonite when its dark and upload for you.

I don't have any socket holders under my front footwells.

So do I need an ignition barrel light?

You can fit front footwell sockets without fitting the illuminated ignition ring,

I personally like the ignition ring and it came with a moulded loom for easy plug&play in to the rear of the interior light,

However you can run a cable to the interior light and splice it in just the same without using the illuminated ignition ring,

Do I need an ignition barrel light?

No you can fit footwell lighting front and rear without fitting an illuminated ignition ring.

Is it better to use LEDs rather than bulbs?

Yes LED's have a better spread of light, they don't get even 50% as hot as standard gas filled bulbs and best match your stock interior illumination colour.

When all is installed will it work like the interior roof light example fade on and off when the door is opened closed or car is locked unlocked. If so that would be great.

Yes,

You will be tapping in to the interior light feed source, results all will fade on and fade off just like stock,

If you could link to some materials I would be greatful I can t get the links in the guide to work in my browser on tablet.

Yes i can link you to parts now in a separate post hopefully these links will work for you.

First though:

Do you want rear footwell lighting?

Or

Illuminated ignition barrel?

I would like yo keep all lights like a red color to match with the dash lights if this is possible.

No problem, red led is a perfect match.

since you will be in the process of running cables,

You could also purchase a 3smd led strip, very cheap,

Remove the bird bath panel from the rear of the centre console,

Line up the 3 led strip, drill 3 holes in line to allow the light pass through illuminating the bird bath pocket,

And wire it to your interior light feed to come on along with your night driving lights.

See my guide on front&rear foot well lighting for images and info on this thread here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/28100-guide-to-fitting-smd-leds-to-cup-holder/page-2

i fitted a 3 SMD strip to the ''bird bath'' pocket in the rear of the centre console by lining the strip in the centre and drilling three 4.5mm holes for the led's to beam through then stuck the strip to the panel with some electrical PVC tape, then spliced it in to the cup holder lights that i also fitted following prees guide in this thread,

very happy with the results and a nice glow in the rear now as well as the front matches in nicely, and these are all run from the interior dash light feed so the illuminate when the driving lights are switched on and they can be dimmed along with the rest of the interior lights, if you have a dimming wheel on your light control unit. http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/cool.png

Image1770.jpg

Image1778.jpg

Image1780.jpg

Image1781.jpg

Shopping list:

I have set out Quantity required below on the shopping list, please ensure the quantity stated below matches the qty you purchase as it determines the length of cable and bulb units you receive.

Qty Required: 2

Item: rear footwell led pods

Colour: red

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/350057941604

Qty Required: 3

Item: 10Amp Twin Core Automotive cable

Colour: N/A

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/170680456683

Qty Required: 1

Item: PVC Flame Retardant electrical insulating tape.

Colour: Black preferably.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/180483578968

Item: T10 W5W bulb socket (Pair)

Colour: N/A

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161008330061?nav=SEARCH

Item: T10 5SMD LED Bulbs (Pair)

Colour: Red

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/301136518636?nav=SEARCH

Lenny

Thanks for reply.

You can fit front footwell sockets without fitting the illuminated ignition ring,
I personally like the ignition ring and it came with a moulded loom for easy plug&play in to the rear of the interior light,
However you can run a cable to the interior light and splice it in just the same without using the illuminated ignition ring,

I would like a ignition barrel light as i think it does look nice especially the fade effect.

Does this mean that if I install this ignition light it plugs into the interior light and i can take a feed from the wiring of the ignition light to power front and rear foot wells without cutting into the actual car wires?

Yes LED's have a better spread of light, they don't get even 50% as hot as standard gas filled bulbs and best match your stock interior illumination colour.

will the front foot wells be LED like the rear pods? also in your video are the rear and front foot wells bright as the ignition barrel shows? (the dark makes it a little hard to see lol!)

Yes,
You will be tapping in to the interior light feed source, results all will fade on and fade off just like stock,

excellent Lenny I wanted this effect and your video shows this when you lock/unlock your car, Thanks.

since you will be in the process of running cables,
You could also purchase a 3smd led strip, very cheap,
Remove the bird bath panel from the rear of the centre console,
Line up the 3 led strip, drill 3 holes in line to allow the light pass through illuminating the bird bath pocket,
And wire it to your interior light feed to come on along with your night driving lights.
See my guide on front&rear foot well lighting for images and info on this thread here:
http://www.fordowner...p-holder/page-2

I Like this idea and may want to add this as well, first though a few questions:

does this mean that the bird bath will light up when the cars side lights ect are turned on?

I dont have a dimmer wheel will it matter?

are the LEDs in bird bath safe ie do they heat up or anything? (ie they wont melt the plastic lol!)

can they be isolated from the car wiring at any time if I ever have an electrical problem so I can keep the car wiring OEM to make sure any mods are causing the issue?

Thanks Lenny again and fro the parts list.

Now you have an idea of what I want to do whats the final list of things I need?

Will i order the ignition light first as i read here somewhere on forum it takes a while to be delivered

is all the wires you linked to safe in terms of electric current ect (just have to be sure as my knowledge of car electrics is ok but not as good as your Lenny so I wouldn't know a 10 am amp wire to a 240v wire lol!)

one more thing lenny what length do i need in the wires? I may need a little extra 40cm for error cuts lol!

thanks mate.

• Like 1

Thinking of doing this to my mk1 focus could come in help full

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

sorry Lenny

upon reading through your list again I just realized that the quantity you set is for the length of cable I need, so I sort of answered my own question there. will this leave a little extra length for error cuts?

also the same with the question about the from bulbs being LEDs, I see you have linked me to the LED T10's which look really good. are they bright enough for decent foot well lighting?

I have taken note of the shopping list.

do you have a link to the ignition barrel Lenny?

what extra will I need for the bird bath or will I do the front and rear foot wells first to save confusion?

Thanks Mate I appreciate all you time on this.

Thinking of doing this to my mk1 focus could come in help full

Principles are all the same mate,

sorry Lenny

upon reading through your list again I just realized that the quantity you set is for the length of cable I need, so I sort of answered my own question there. will this leave a little extra length for error cuts?

also the same with the question about the from bulbs being LEDs, I see you have linked me to the LED T10's which look really good. are they bright enough for decent foot well lighting?

I have taken note of the shopping list.

do you have a link to the ignition barrel Lenny?

what extra will I need for the bird bath or will I do the front and rear foot wells first to save confusion?

Thanks Mate I appreciate all you time on this.

You will have enough cable in 6Metres to do all footwell lighting and the ambient bird bath illumination specially if you use an illuminated ignition ring too.

Here's a link to a red illuminated ignition ring light:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231125345610?nav=SEARCH

I find those 5 SMD provide sufficient ambient light but if you want brighter then go for these

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/181426392102?nav=SEARCH

The bird bath illumination power feed splices in to some cables behind the "rear window demist switch" because it illuminates as part of your dash lighting,

It can be done at the same time

Heres a link to the 3 SMD red led strip required:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111414348496?nav=SEARCH

You will have enough cable to do both jobs in the initial shopping list here's a guide on fitting, you wont need to remove the centre console just the rear part and fish cable through to front, but see the guide for cable splicing reference.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/28100-guide-to-fitting-smd-leds-to-cup-holder/

Ok thanks lenny.

I will stay with the original LED Bulbs if you think they are bright enough. I can always upgrade them at a later time if I want to go brighter.

I have ordered all the shopping list so I will let you know when all comes. Can you think of anything else I need?

Thanks again mate.

• Like 1

if anyone wants it, I have the full kit that I took off my CMAX, it has everything wired up - the blue ignition barrel, and the entire wiring for the front and rear (in blue) LED's. it just needs fitting and a bit of superglue to adhere the LED strips to the car. I will dig it out if anyone wants it and will sell it on.

if anyone wants it, I have the full kit that I took off my CMAX, it has everything wired up - the blue ignition barrel, and the entire wiring for the front and rear (in blue) LED's. it just needs fitting and a bit of superglue to adhere the LED strips to the car. I will dig it out if anyone wants it and will sell it on.

How much u want for it mate. I'll be intrested. Thank you

• Like 1

will PM you mate :)

Ok thanks lenny.

I will stay with the original led bulbs if you think they are bright enough. I can always upgrade them at a later time if I want to go brighter.

I have ordered all the shopping list so I will let you know when all comes. Can you think of anything else I need?

Thanks again mate.

no problem,

Ive just saw your other post on previous page ill respond to it now,

You mentioned wanting to be able to isolate your mods,

Well the ignition ring loom has plug/sockets

As for the bird bath illumination you could purchase a 12v rocker switch and fit it to the OBD dash pocket out of sight but allowing you control over the illumination,

For this you would require:

12V rocker switch

2 x insulated crimp connectors

As for cable you should have enough in the previously purchased 6 metres

IMG_20140723_125126_zpstntuzped.jpg

IMG_20140723_125120_zpscoaydvvk.jpg

I would like a ignition barrel light as i think it does look nice especially the fade effect.

Does this mean that if I install this ignition light it plugs into the interior light and i can take a feed from the wiring of the ignition light to power front and rear foot wells without cutting into the actual car wires?

Yes that is 100% correct mate,

splice blue on the ignition ring loom with red on the footwell loom and black to black.

will the front foot wells be LED like the rear pods? also in your video are the rear and front foot wells bright as the ignition barrel shows? (the dark makes it a little hard to see lol!)

Red light by nature doesn't throw out illumination, hence why the army use red light in helicopters etc. if i put my hand, foot or even a white page in the footwell it will illuminate the full item, however anything black like the car mats doesn't show up well,

The rear pods are the same red as the ignition ring and front footwell LED Bulbs,

I Like this idea and may want to add this as well, first though a few questions:

does this mean that the bird bath will light up when the cars side lights etc are turned on?

Yes it will operate just the same as an interior dash light.

I dont have a dimmer wheel will it matter?

No it doesn't matter, but if you did ever decide to upgrade to one,

it will also dim the bird bath illumination because its on the same circuit,

are the LEDs in bird bath safe ie. do they heat up or anything? (ie they wont melt the plastic lol!)

can they be isolated from the car wiring at any time if I ever have an electrical problem so I can keep the car wiring OEM to make sure any mods are causing the issue?

No they don't get half as hot as standard bulbs mate all will be 100% as long as you twist and tape your connections that's the only thing to be done and if you can peal a banana you can strip a cable same principle exposing the core.

Now you have an idea of what I want to do whats the final list of things I need?

Will i order the ignition light first as i read here somewhere on forum it takes a while to be delivered

one more thing Lenny what length do i need in the wires? I may need a little extra 40cm for error cuts lol!

Qty 1 = 2 metres

So qty:3 will provide you with a continuous 6 metre length of cable that should be sufficient for everything we discussed.

You do both front footwell lights from the same 2 metre length of cable no need to run both separately only ads unnecessary weight.

Lenny thanks mate

As I said I have ordered the shopping list. I still think red will look good so I will stick with it same as you have.

Also do you have a rocker switch in the obd compartment? The pics make it look like a neat install but would it be a waste just to have a switch for the bird bath lights on their own?

Maybe it would be better just to have them run of the standard dash light switch as your orinally suggested.

Although if I do want to add any later LED mods to the cup holder or door handles would it be possible to link these to the birdbath wiring and then add in the isloater rocker switch to turn all them on and off?

Lenny im greatful for your expertise on this mate.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club