• FOC Supporters
  • 183 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Ford Model: Mondeo mk3
  • Year: 2002
Contributor

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Hello

Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage they get on a full tank of diesel? im currently getting around 500 which i thought was a little low.

I have clean and blocked off the egr and cleaned the inlet manifold out when i purchased the car.

I do a 80 mile run to work and back everyday on the motorway so would think the MPG would b better.

any help would be great.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,086 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

cant help on an o2, but on my MK4 (57) I have 114 on the clock and got 780 miles out of a tank.

#3 matto2494

matto2494

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 183 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

:(

#4 matto2494

matto2494

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 183 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

How many litres is a tank on yours

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,086 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

70 litres I believe. £90 topup from almost empty to 3 clicks at the top.

#6 matto2494

matto2494

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 183 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Ok so looking on the specs my car has a 56 litre tank. I'm guess 6 litres of that is reserve so I averaged it to 50 with an average of 500 miles a tank, that would equate to 45 mpg. Does that sound about right?

#7 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,086 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

there or there abouts it sounds about right, but I havent got a calculator in front of me :P

#8 Steve Jarvis

Steve Jarvis

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2005

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hi Matto

Just done some calcs and the book tells us that we have a 55 litre tank (with probably a bit more in reserve as you say). This works out to 12 uk gallons.

500 miles is only 41.5 mpg.

I am doing a 68 mile round trip to work and back 5 days a week on A roads and have managed to get 54 mpg. (55 plate 2ltr 130 tdci) Admittedly I can't usually get

above 65-70 mph due to the road and following miss daisy's on a daily basis but have managed to drive the car in a way that doesn't get me above 3k revs

and still keep up comfortably with the odd Beamer or Merc.

It may well be that being on the motorway isn't helping. I can get mine on a run sitting at 75 and hitting 2k revs and still get a decent return in the low 50's.

When I purchased the car in January, the trip computer told me that it was running at 42 mpg. I never trust those things, they are not accurate. The best way

to suss out your mpg is a simple pump to pump exercise. Dare to run it as low on fuel as possible, well into the fuel light zone before working it out.

It has taken me 6 months to get into the low to mid 50's mpg.

There is something else to consider, is there a small leak in any of the fuels lines, dodgy hose clip?

Good luck!

#9 matto2494

matto2494

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 183 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Is yours a tdci I think they stopped production tddi in 02, also have you got a 5 or 6 speed box?

If I had a leak I would see evidence of this either through smell or from sight?? Not sure

#10 Steve Jarvis

Steve Jarvis

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

6 speed. Misread your original post fella about the tddi, sorry. This might explain the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

#11 matto2494

matto2494

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 183 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

That explains it lol. I thought my car was screwed haha

#12 Steve Jarvis

Steve Jarvis

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

You could always rip out the interior and save some weight, that will make the mpg seem a bit healthier

#13 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Generally the TDDI gets a little less MPG than the TDDI, but of course the reliability/ toughness makes up for this  

The estate is also a bit heavier than the saloon/ hatch so the MPG tends to be a bit lower

Driving style and conditions come into it but 40MPG or a little over is more or less what most people get, because diesel is so expensive and the price continually goes up over a long period it tends to focus your attention on your MPG - when i 1st started driving you got a lot more for your tenner

If you are driving round town or very hard, it can drop to 35MPG, on a long, clear  run you might get 45-50MPG  

41.5MPG is ok for a TDDI estate

If you pump your tyres up hard (i use 38PSI front, 40 rear) keep the weight down in the car and don't "boot" it in the lower gears (off the line, 1st,2nd, round town) that will make a difference a remap can give you a lot more power and a bit more MPG

205/55/16 tyres/ wheels are lighter and less drag - the official MPG has 2 sets of figures, one for each car with bigger, wider wheels, and another, lower one with 16s, i also drive a tit-x 2.2 (same as an ST-TDCI) and there is not much difference in handling (only on the absolute limit, and the smaller tyres are more progessive) the tit-x has lowering springs - the heavily  modified 2.0L TDDI is faster than the mildly modified 2.2  

The TDDI can run on veg oil, i now run 50-50 diesel/ veg oil in the summer, (in colder weather i use straight diesel) i pay 99p a litre,(for unused, clean, pure veg oil)  this has been legal in the UK since 2007 (in fact pump diesel contains 5 -7 % veg oil (or "bio diesel"), regular deisel is made up mostly from fossil fuels, that is finite (will run out) and making it (especially if its BP :lol: ) is very bad for the enviroment, veg oil is made plants that grow in the sun, so indirectly, by using it you are making your car solar powered

With the diesel at £1.40 and the veg oil at 99p, at 50-50, its like getting your fuel at £1,20 a litre, this adds up (especially if you are doing a high milage) + you are helping to save the planet as well         

#14 Steve Jarvis

Steve Jarvis

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

Loving the veggie oil link. So what are you saying here, go to a wholesaler and buy a shed load of vegetable oil and mix it. I've heard of people running there old Di diesels on chip fat but I thought the oil needed additional preheating? Are there mods required on the car prior to using the oil?

#15 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:15 AM

Loving the veggie oil link. So what are you saying here, go to a wholesaler and buy a shed load of vegetable oil and mix it. I've heard of people running there old Di diesels on chip fat but I thought the oil needed additional preheating? Are there mods required on the car prior to using the oil?

the larger the percentage of veg oil, and the lower the temp, the thicker the solution becomes, you are already running between 5 to 7 percent (that is what is added to modern pump diesel to help replace the lubrication properties of old, high-sulphor diesel)- in warm weather at a realatively high diesel content (eg 50/50) you can put the veg oil straight in the tank with some cars

with heaters/ a twin tank or other methods you can run a higher veg oil percentage and/or at a lower temperature

ive experimented with different percentages and found that 60 % diesel/ 40% veg oil stays liquid at fairly low temps, under 4 degrees c, i would use straight diesel, though  

The delphi injectors on the TDCI are realatively fragile and can be "fussy" about fuel, they were designed for high-sulphor pre 2006 pump-fuel (that was good for lubricating the injectors but bad for the enviroment) The TDDIs pump and injectors are tough, the injectors are simple, mechanical ones, they are made by bosch, thats one of the reasons i run a TDDI  the decat, total EGR delete and straight- through exhaust (and fixed vane turbo - no VNT vanes to coke up) all help too

ive been using veg oil for years and know what i am doing but i have been caught out before with a sudden drop in temperature so be careful       

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users