Simon whirlwind

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Name: Simon
  • Ford Model: Mondeo mk3 TDCI 130 Ghia
  • Year: 2004

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

I have a 54 plate TDCI (130bhp). I generally get just over 500 miles with a mixture of motorways and town driving. I thought that was quite good. When I get some spare dosh I will get the car re-mapped (about £170), which will give me more power, response and miles per gallon I believe ???

My car runs very well as it is even though it has now done 134,000 miles, but I reckon it may be worth re-mapping.

I do have the dreaded plashing glow plug light and limp mode now, but will sort that out I hope over the next couple of days ??

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Steve Jarvis

Steve Jarvis

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2005

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hi Simon

Pretty good figures. Just highlights what a damn good car ford produced! I'm nervous that mine could start the dreaded limp mode soon. It's happened a couple of times but I am putting that down to a heavy boot on a cold morning as when I pulled over to stop the engine and restart, the problem cleared and I continued on my merry way with a little less lead in my right boot! Does yours do it a lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

#18 Simon whirlwind

Simon whirlwind

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hi Steve,

my car has just started messing me around now (135,000 miles), not from bad driving I might add.

I have had a broken pipe going from the turbo to the EGR valve for some time, and was meaning to get it sorted. I kept on smelling fumes inside the car. Anyway I will get that sorted tomorrow and go from there. I got one of those F-Super code readers yesterday to get the fault code, but can't get it working. I went to the local garage and the fault code was P2263 (boost issues). I thought the EGR problem may be a good place to start, especially as I already had the replacement pipe. I will be really !Removed! if this problem doesn't go away, as I am not the richest of people at the moment. If that doesn't work I will have a look to see if there is a leaky turbo pipe, as this is quite a regular problem with Mondeo's. It's not lacking power at all (out of limp mode), so we will see?

#19 Steve Jarvis

Steve Jarvis

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2005

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

I think I'm right in saying that an egr blanking plate would help. I have just bought one of eBay for £3.50 and if you read the many helpful tips that people have left on here about them, it's the cheapest and most effective way of reducing smoke, premature failings of the turbo etc. Clean all of your pipes out prior to fitting but this will help. The only draw back is the the eml will come on between 50 & 100 miles after fitting. This is normal and will have no ill effects on the engine.

Is the car jumping into limp mode when cold, heavy acceleration??

#20 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

Hi Steve,

my car has just started messing me around now (135,000 miles), not from bad driving I might add.

I have had a broken pipe going from the turbo to the EGR valve for some time, and was meaning to get it sorted. I kept on smelling fumes inside the car. Anyway I will get that sorted tomorrow and go from there. I got one of those F-Super code readers yesterday to get the fault code, but can't get it working. I went to the local garage and the fault code was P2263 (boost issues). I thought the EGR problem may be a good place to start, especially as I already had the replacement pipe. I will be really !Removed! if this problem doesn't go away, as I am not the richest of people at the moment. If that doesn't work I will have a look to see if there is a leaky turbo pipe, as this is quite a regular problem with Mondeo's. It's not lacking power at all (out of limp mode), so we will see?

The VNT mech can get coked up and start sticking, this can affect boost (too little= lots of lag and low power or, - too much = car runs ok but when you boot it/ go uphill it drops into limp mode )

The ECU (via the MAP sensor) detects the exessive boost and drops into limp mode to protect the engine  

if this is the issue repairing/ blanking the EGR will not help

The actuator may be pnumatic or electronic

#21 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

I think I'm right in saying that an egr blanking plate would help. I have just bought one of eBay for £3.50 and if you read the many helpful tips that people have left on here about them, it's the cheapest and most effective way of reducing smoke, premature failings of the turbo etc. Clean all of your pipes out prior to fitting but this will help. The only draw back is the the eml will come on between 50 & 100 miles after fitting. This is normal and will have no ill effects on the engine.

Is the car jumping into limp mode when cold, heavy acceleration??

The main reasons for fitting a solid blanking plate is to stop the inlet manifold being contanminated with (and filling up with) carbon, and to increase performance/ economy, and to eliminate flat spots/ hesitation & improve throttle response, , exessive smoke can cause premature failure of the turbo (VNT cokeing up, sticking) + a solid plate can reduce smoke, but how significant this is to the lifespan of the turbo is difficult to say - i suppose it must help      

A solid plate may put a Euro4 Mondeos' EML on  (that can be reset with a code reader) Euro3 Mondeos can have a solid EGR blanking plate fitted without the EML (ever) coming on (due to the solid plate)  

#22 Simon whirlwind

Simon whirlwind

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

I have just ordered the blanking plug for my car(stainless steel) and will fit it once I have the stainless steel pipe replaced today. They are also going to clean the EGR valve out too. I thought as I had another pipe for it, I would at least get that done. I have noticed lately that I am getting exhaust fumes in my car, and that it not good? The EGR valve is at the front left hand side of the engine, so I assume it is a Euro 3.

The fault on my car might not be a EGR problem, as the code is P2263 (boost issue). I will get the garage to check all the boost pipes etc going to the turbo. This could be the problem why limp mode keeps happening. This happens whether the engine is cold or hot, accelerating or not.

Thanks for your help.

#23 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

I have just ordered the blanking plug for my car(stainless steel) and will fit it once I have the stainless steel pipe replaced today. They are also going to clean the EGR valve out too. I thought as I had another pipe for it, I would at least get that done. I have noticed lately that I am getting exhaust fumes in my car, and that it not good? The EGR valve is at the front left hand side of the engine, so I assume it is a Euro 3.

The fault on my car might not be a EGR problem, as the code is P2263 (boost issue). I will get the garage to check all the boost pipes etc going to the turbo. This could be the problem why limp mode keeps happening. This happens whether the engine is cold or hot, accelerating or not.

Thanks for your help.

As above - no point in cleaning out the EGR valve (smaller diameter pipes/ hoses, just the main body that the engine air goes through) as no flow will go through it with the solid blanking plate - you must take the inlet manifold off and clean that out  

Again, as above, having the EGR valve at the front left of the engine does not mean it is a Euro3 or Euro4, (mk3 Mondeo diesel) it could be either, (there are several different types/ designs) in fact, if your car is more likely to be Euro4, if your car year is correct on your profile, post up some pictures of your engine - i colud tell you

the pipe leaking can allow exhaust gasses (inc. carbon monoxide) into the engine bay that can find its way into the passenger cabin - not good - it  can also reduce the energy going from the exhaust to the turbine, so affect boost, so wait and see if this fixes your problem, and take it from there      

#24 Simon whirlwind

Simon whirlwind

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hi there,

Just got the car back and no limp mode, or management light on.

Watch this post as I am probably the most unluckiest bloke on earth, so could be further trouble ahead.

I will clean the manifold, should the fault persist and take it from there.

I have attached a picture of the engine for you to have a look at to determine what type it is (Euro 3 or 4)?

Thanks again

Simon 

PS.  having trouble trying to paste two images from my computer?

#25 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hi there,

Just got the car back and no limp mode, or management light on.

Watch this post as I am probably the most unluckiest bloke on earth, so could be further trouble ahead.

I will clean the manifold, should the fault persist and take it from there.

I have attached a picture of the engine for you to have a look at to determine what type it is (Euro 3 or 4)?

Thanks again

Simon 

PS.  having trouble trying to paste two images from my computer?

Cant see the pics, but, looking at the back of the engine you can see part of the top of the turbo sticking out past the engine cover - thats the turbo actuator - is it a rectangular black thing with wires or a silver metal can with a rubber hose?  

does the EGR valve have a silver metal can with a rubber hose coming out of it, or a large square block with wires?

So far ive seen 4 different types of EGR valves on mk3 diesel Mondeos,  3 basic types of turbo (with multiple variations) 2 different inlet manifolds, etc etc

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users