Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Issues Mk3 Tddi

matto2494

Hi Guys and Girls

I seem to notice that my MK3 tddi has a few flat spots in power delivery.

if im on the motorway for example if i put my foot to the floor there car will accelarate but feels like it slowly winding up to speed.

if i put my foot all the way down and lift up slightly the thing picks up speed a hell of a lot quicker, if i return my foot to the carpet it seems to be bogging (if thats a good word to describe it)

anyone else experience something like this?

you see this on cars with the EGR valve, for the life of me I cannot remember if this one actually has the valve or not, but blanking it off will make the world of difference!

Sorry I forgot to mention that it already was blanked and the inlet is cleared of nasty black stuff

Edited by jeebowhite
removed the swearing

OK so you cleaned the inlet and the EGR is blanked. in which case if it still has flat spots, check the intercooler pipes and hose, make sure there are no splits along the way,.

Don't get me wrong it's not a huge power loss, it's just a pain in the backside.

If I gradually introduce the acceleration it shifts fine

in which case it could be a split hose or pipe. if you apply the pressure gently it works better than if you floor it, as if you build pressure rapidly its forced out of any imperfections in the system (crack, split etc) whereas if you drive it gradually the pressure balances better and does not backlog and force it out.

Well worth checking though, as if you do have a split in a pipe or a hose, it makes the car more inefficient as its not burning fuel properly. if you have any black smoke on acceleration with a blanked EGR< then this is most likely the reason why.

Have a look at my signature for replacing an intercooler pipe, this was done on a CMAX, but the concept is the same, have a look at the pictures for where I saw the damage, and also so you can see the two hoses that could also be affected.

I shall have a look around tonight. Thanks

no worries,

easist way to diagnose, is get someone to rev the car to about 2000 revs then slide your hand carefully around the area of the pipes and hoses and you could find / feel / hear the noise if one exists. If you cant find it at 2000 revs take it up to 3000 - 3500

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club