Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is The Aircon In Fiesta Ecoboost Just Poor ?

NQbbe

I've got a 2013 Ecoboost ZS 1.0, which is fitted with manual air condition (not climate control)

My wife's got a 2014 Ford Ka, which is also fitted with manual air condition.

When I press the A/C switch in the Fiesta, it takes around a minute before the air cools even slightly.

When my wife presses the A/C switch in her Ka, it cools in about 2-5 seconds.

Also the temperature doesn't really get all that cold in the Fiesta.

So before I contact the dealership I want to know if the Fiesta's air condition just is this poor ? (No point wasting their and my time, if it cannot be helped)

I find mine can be slow some days to come on and some times its not, may sound funny but even with a new car id check or have it checked at the next service for leaks as that could be an issue if its not got enough nitrogen to cool down quickly or lower temps, i think its between 4-5 deg c for air con on max it should be anyway thats what good old wheeler dealers say anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I don't think the Air-Con is great in my ZS Eco, so I'd say it's just poor

Thanks for the inputs - I'll wait for next service and just bring it up there then :)

ford never seem to fill the aircon gas full on a new car. I had the st2 ,didn't get that cold took it to a mate and he filled it and it got colder quicker . just taken delivery of the st3 and it's the same so getting it topped up on Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

ford never seem to fill the aircon gas full on a new car. I had the st2 ,didn't get that cold took it to a mate and he filled it and it got colder quicker . just taken delivery of the st3 and it's the same so getting it topped up on Saturday

Ok that's worth looking into, I've changed my mind and will call the dealer next week (currently waiting for a reply from them regarding a paint job, and could hopefully get this checked out at the same time then)

Come to think of it mine doesn't get that cold to be fair I just thought was just a crap aircon system lol

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

Come to think of it mine doesn't get that cold to be fair I just thought was just a crap aircon system lol

Yeah me too, will report back if gets better (though it'll probably be some time before the dealer can look at it)

Well if I beat you too it I'll also update. As ill get it checked with the oil leak

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

I've had both my old zs and the st re gassed at the dealership, both a hundred times better now. Must not fill it properly at the factory

Well mine on my pre-facelift ZS is much better than my mum's 1.0 Ecoboost 125

But as Clarky's said, could just need a regas!

I've got a 2013 Ecoboost ZS 1.0, which is fitted with manual air condition (not climate control)

My wife's got a 2014 Ford Ka, which is also fitted with manual air condition.

When I press the A/C switch in the Fiesta, it takes around a minute before the air cools even slightly.

When my wife presses the A/C switch in her Ka, it cools in about 2-5 seconds.

Also the temperature doesn't really get all that cold in the Fiesta.

So before I contact the dealership I want to know if the Fiesta's air condition just is this poor ? (No point wasting their and my time, if it cannot be helped)

There was some discussion previously about this on the site

the older-style AC systems were capable of cooling the car interior better/ faster/ colder than the newer systems - but were heavy and used a lot of engine power to the detriment of performance and economy

the new-style AC systems do not cool as well as the old style AC systems and do not go under 7 cegrees C (as far as i am aware), and take longer to cool the car down, but they are lighter, and use less engine power, so has less impact on performance, and more importantly for most manufacturer/ consumers, economy

that is not saying a regas will not help

Basically modern air con uses a refrigerant gas, not nitrogen, R134A. This was brought in to replace another gas, R12 alleged to damage the ozone layer, but isn't as good at cooling. It should still provide a good rate of chilling when you start your air con and it is possible when filled, Ford didn't put enough in.

Amother thing is, you should use your air con at least once a month for a short while, even in winter as the seals are lubricated by oil in the system. If you don't do that for a few months, the seals can dry out and you will lose some gas, eventually all of it.

Mines been regassed and still crap. Was as bad on the 1.0 as well. The condensers are quite small though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Yes I think it's to do with the new EU regulations which are banning the older refrigerant and replacing it with a new one which let's face it has got to be worse because it's been decided by the EU.

the older-style AC systems were capable of cooling the car interior better/ faster/ colder than the newer systems - but were heavy and used a lot of engine power to the detriment of performance and economy

the new-style AC systems do not cool as well as the old style AC systems and do not go under 7 cegrees C (as far as i am aware), and take longer to cool the car down, but they are lighter, and use less engine power, so has less impact on performance, and more importantly for most manufacturer/ consumers, economy

Interesting point about the system being smaller and using less power - in the Ka I can feel the car "bog down" when the A/C comes on (and hear it as well). In the Fiesta I hardly notice it at all.

So it'd seem the A/C system in the Ka is one of the older versions (which seems plausible as its a rather old model by now)

I'll still talk to the dealer, but it seems like it's a design thing, more so than an error.

Gary: I try to use the A/C system about twice a month, also during winter - the dealer told me about the problems with the seals drying up, so I don't think that's happened - still thanks for the advice though (others can probably benefit from it) :)

Sounds more than right to me. Distinct performance difference with my mk5 with the AC on. But I accept that really, as it gets fridge levels of cold in there.

I might be able to help with this one (if someone hasn't already suggested it!!)

I have a 2010 Fiesta van and the aircon is absolutely !Removed! RUBBISH!!! That is ... until I read the manual and found out that the way to get it to cool down fast is to hit the air recycle button. I kid ye not. I've had The Van a blasted year and I've only just figured it out.

My Mk 1 Focus never needed to have the recycle button pressed, the aircon just worked as soon as I hit the AC button, but with the Fiesta, BOTH buttons have to be pressed.

I can now drive without having to hang my head out the window… The Van is like a flippin' fridge!!

:)

My old civic had a refrigerated glove box that kept my snacks and drinks cool in the summer, it's now 8 years old and I thought Ford would have made it standard now, at least for us ST owners (because we are so cool)

• Like 1

I actually had a Civic before the Fiesta too (2008 Civic) - Never used the chilled glove box, but the A/C was freezing cold, I loved it :D

Neither did I to be honest, but it was nice knowing it was there and if I had snacks etc I could be confident they'll be enjoyable when I return home lol dual climate control on those was pretty epic tbf as was the glass roof, 140bhp with a mahoosive 340nms and 55mpg, full leather, sat nav and a glass roof with electric one touch blinds, I do still miss that car and wonder why I traded it for a !Removed! CTR FN2 back then, pig of a car.

Refrigerated glove box on the 2.5 focus ST ;)

I find mine can just about keep up with this unusually warm UK weather, but I think the air con was cooler in my old Titanium. Both have the climate control (or EATC whatever it's called) but in summer I tend to just set it to low and control it manually so then I can turn it off occasionally to save a bit of fuel.

Is it me or does the air con use a hell of a lot of fuel in this model fiesta?

I haven't really been able to check the MPG properly, I noticed it drops the displayed MPG a bit though. It doesn't seem to affect the acceleration though which is something I noticed in my old cars.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club