Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Not Starting - Engine Malfuncton Warning

jon200

Hi,

Had a problem with my car in that tried to start it yesterday, but nothing. No power whatsoever and after trying to start it, i get an engine malfunction message on the dashboard.

Called the AA and they first suspected a flat battery, but he couldn't test it because he couldn't open the bonnet due to a broken lock (which was fine before Ford did the MOT/Service two weeks ago, and i haven't opened it since).

He managed to test the alternator from underneath the car and it was fine. He then tried to jump start it, but it initially wouldn't work, but after getting a more powerful generator from the van managed to start it. He wasn't convinced it would last however and towed me to the Ford garage who now have it.

Has anyone has a similar problem or thoughts on what it might be?

I have a Focus 1.8 Zetec, MK2.5 2011 plate.

Thanks in advance.

it could be any number of things, you really need the error codes and an opening bonnet to resolve the situation and diagnose more approprioately.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Forgot to mention that the AA guy found no error codes.

Just had a call from Ford, and they reckon its an erroded connector to the starter motor. Total cost to repair is £198 inc £95 diagnostic fee.

harsh, but better to be resolved! the alternative is to take the car to another garage and you just pay the diag fee, it could be cheaper!

I've questioned the costs. They were the last people to open the bonnet (although i can't prove it), and annoyingly the car is less than a week out of warranty.

The guy was sympathetic and is going to speak to Ford head brass to see if they will waive or contribute towards the repair costs. i'm not holding my breath, but i thought i might as well ask the question.

If not i will just let them do the work, as you said its better to have it resolved.

yeah, you can expect a bill of about £180 for the bonnet latch resolution and then your bill on top for the starter, probably not far off the same.

Update - I managed to get Ford to waive the parts/repair costs meaning i only had to pay the £95 diagnostic fee. Pleased as i could really do without the extra bills right now.

Thanks for the replies in the thread.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club