1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

tedbuchan

catatylitic converter

6 posts in this topic

my catatylitic converter as strated to smell in the car,ive been told not to worry,but dont hold the car on the clutch,is this correct

The rotten egg smell of the exhaust is fuel related. It is usually from sulphur compounds in the fuel. The catalytic convertor converts these compounds, therefore this odor is a sign that the convertor is working, it might smell more on short journeys as the cat might not get up to temp, as for holding the car on the clutch all this will cause is premature clutch wear.

my catatylitic converter as strated to smell in the car,ive been told not to worry,but dont hold the car on the clutch,is this correct

does it smell like eggs

The rotten egg smell of the exhaust is fuel related. It is usually from sulphur compounds in the fuel. The catalytic convertor converts these compounds, therefore this odor is a sign that the convertor is working, it might smell more on short journeys as the cat might not get up to temp, as for holding the car on the clutch all this will cause is premature clutch wear.

thanx mintalkin i had a pretty good idea that this was the problem,needed to run it by someone that knew more than me thanx again

does it smell like eggs

hi vroom,yes it does smell like rotten eggs,mintalkin has answered my question,i had a bit of an idea that was the problem,but a family member said that it could be the cat packing in,thanx anyway

if the cat is smelling then take the car on a good fast run on the motorwway as that will

get it up2 temp & burn off any

deposits on the cat.

i was told this by a mechanic sometime back.