Ford until I die!

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,580 posts
  • Name: Phil
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2
  • Year: 2014
Contributor

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

At the end of the day I'm happy with mine so I don't care what the smug German car owners think. Most if them are company cars anyway and are purely a prestige symbol.

Better to be individual and not a keep up with the jones type

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600
  • Year: 2012

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

My ST leaves mercs, audis, BMW's for dead I have a stage one remap and this car is an animal. I love it when im at the lights with somebody in "better" car and then see the look on their face when my "cheap little fiesta" deatroys their 30k + car.
what defines a great car? Great performance? Cheap to buy, run? Great stylish interior? Good looks? Amazing to drive?
My little fiesta ticks all of these boxes. Personally £ for £ I think its the best car around.
(Super cars excluded).
Anybody disagree? Then go drive one then tell me what you think.

That is such a narrow minded view. Don't get me wrong I love the Fiesta ST and it's a great car for its own reasons. But Merc's, Audi's and BMW's would eat a Fiesta ST for breakfast. 

Audi's and BMW's are spec'd to the owners need / want so its all well and good you saying you're beating Audi's but they may well be 105 bhp lol! That's no different to me saying my S1600 beats a Style in a drag race. It's always going to happen...  

For example your ST is 180bhp standard, you may be running 200 now? an Audi S3 which is a ST equivalent of a standard A3 / Fiesta is 300bhp... 

Fiesta 0-60 = 6.9

S3 0-60 = 5.2

Maybe the S3 is unfair as its a bigger car, even so the new S1 is 231 bhp and does 0-60 in 5.8. The A3 1.8 TFSI 177bhp engine will also do 60 in 7 seconds...

Admittedly the S1 starts at 24k and the S3 30k but you get what you pay for. The fiesta is 17k which is a big amount of money for what is still a Fiesta. Which people will perceive as a chavvy car, boy racer. I've had the same comments with my S1600 lol.

The build quality is a whole different ball game with the german cars, the Fiesta is built cheaply, it rattles, door rubbers fall off, you could sit in a BMW 1 or 3 series at 120mph and not even know you're moving. The Fiesta gets juddery and loud at 80. 

I'm by no means an Audi fan boy, the story is the same with Merc and BMW. I personally love the Fiesta ST and would own one in a heart beat but they simply can not be compared to bigger more expensive cars. There literally is no competition. 

#18 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,993 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

If all the other makes are so good why was the Focus voted best car for umpteen years, the Mondeo voted car of the year multiple times and the Fiesta is currently the top selling car?
It all boils down to one thing- badge snobbery.
Other cars may be faster but at the cost of pure driving pleasure and FUN!
If I wanted to get everywhere faster I'd take the train.
Forget the destination and enjoy the journey.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Ford OC mobile app

#19 Marcr1

Marcr1

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

I'm not saying they're not nice cars because they are. But the reason they sell so well is because of the price. There are much better handling cars out there than Ford, faster cars, likewise slower and worse cars, Ford have a good balance but they are by no means the perfect car. If someone offered you a Nissan GTR or a Fiesta for free 99% would take the GTR but when its your own money it makes sense to buy a Ford  :lol:

#20 fiestalux

fiestalux

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name: Rod
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 100CV
  • Year: 2014

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

You will always get some kind of anti-Ford snobbery, here it's worse as people expect luxury cars and anything less is perceived as cheap. However, you can also get back at them by pulling out the reliability statistics, even Mercs have vastly varying quality and VW Group cars while generally good fall from high up to about 80th after about two years. Just check out the German TUV reliability statistics (there is an English version online somewhere). The Fiesta tends to start lower but stays higher on average during the first five years if I remember correctly. For what it's worth my Fiesta atleast is (according to the  paperwork) assembled at a Ford plant in Cologne (which I lived not far from for some years) so I always say "it's just a German quality car with an American badge and a lot cheaper", so far no one has come back to me on that one :)  

While the Polo and Golf are nice cars, for me they are just a bit too boring and lack the somewhat punchy styling of the Fiesta.

I don't have an ST but I do like the Fiesta tat I have a lot and frankly I don't care much for car snobbery. If you like it that should be enough.

#21 Marcr1

Marcr1

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

Im not saying there is anything wrong with Ford, I've owned enough of them!! All of which have had their issues, but so have my Toyota's, Fiat etc. Its going to happen.

Obviously we're on a Ford forum so you're never going to win an argument when knocking a Fiesta ST. When others are labelling it as the best thing since sliced bread. Saying its better than a car which is £25k+. It has absolutely nothing to do with brand snobbery, we're all Ford brand snobs here?!? 

The original post was asking what outsiders think of the Fiesta ST and I've merely put my idea on the table

#22 Gary.J

Gary.J

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Year: 2013

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

The build quality is a whole different ball game with the german cars, the Fiesta is built cheaply, it rattles, door rubbers fall off, you could sit in a BMW 1 or 3 series at 120mph and not even know you're moving. The Fiesta gets juddery and loud at 80. 

I'm quite happy to contradict you there. I've taken mine to 3 figures, and at no point did it become juddery and loud.  Also even though its only 8 months old, nothing rattles in it, other than the wheel locking key, which was sorted by putting it into a bubblewrap bag. No falling off rubbers, or anything else either. Maybe you should reconsider some of your preconceptions.

#23 Marcr1

Marcr1

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

I'm quite happy to contradict you there. I've taken mine to 3 figures, and at no point did it become juddery and loud.  Also even though its only 8 months old, nothing rattles in it, other than the wheel locking key, which was sorted by putting it into a bubblewrap bag. No falling off rubbers, or anything else either. Maybe you should reconsider some of your preconceptions.

They're not pre conceptions, I test drove one and minus a body kit, interior, suspension and engine they are no differently built to any other Fiesta, makes the same noise when the door closes as mine and my brothers style, same road noise as my car etc. 

Not every car will rattle I admit that, 

#24 Gary.J

Gary.J

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Name: Gary

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

Road noise changes with the tyres used,  the suspension, handling, and wear, and that goes for any car, not just Fiestas.

Your opinion that there are better cars around is valid, but even you admit that cost comes into account. Try giving options for a similar price to a car that is better than the ST, because telling someone that a BMW is better built, means nothing if someone is looking to only spend that sort of money.

#25 wesmst-2

wesmst-2

fiSTer Miller

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Name: wes
  • Ford Model: fiesta st-2

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

That is such a narrow minded view. Don't get me wrong I love the Fiesta ST and it's a great car for its own reasons. But Merc's, Audi's and BMW's would eat a Fiesta ST for breakfast. 

Audi's and BMW's are spec'd to the owners need / want so its all well and good you saying you're beating Audi's but they may well be 105 bhp lol! That's no different to me saying my S1600 beats a Style in a drag race. It's always going to happen...  

For example your ST is 180bhp standard, you may be running 200 now? an Audi S3 which is a ST equivalent of a standard A3 / Fiesta is 300bhp... 

Fiesta 0-60 = 6.9
S3 0-60 = 5.2

if you read my intire post I sai £ for £ id rather have my car. Otherwise id of bought one of the german cars.
I am trading in my beloved fiesta in October. I am simply gettin another one. The next year once realesed im gun get myself the 2015 mustang.
Maybe the S3 is unfair as its a bigger car, even so the new S1 is 231 bhp and does 0-60 in 5.8. The A3 1.8 TFSI 177bhp engine will also do 60 in 7 seconds...

Admittedly the S1 starts at 24k and the S3 30k but you get what you pay for. The fiesta is 17k which is a big amount of money for what is still a Fiesta. Which people will perceive as a chavvy car, boy racer. I've had the same comments with my S1600 lol.

I'm by no means an Audi fan boy, the story is the same with Merc and BMW. I personally love the Fiesta ST and would own one in a heart beat but they simply can not be compared to bigger more expensive cars. There literally is no competition. 

#26 wesmst-2

wesmst-2

fiSTer Miller

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Name: wes
  • Ford Model: fiesta st-2

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

The standard st has been rcorded at 209bhp on dyno runs my remapped car is at about 220bhp. It dont keep up with the faster german cars but merc c220's bmw 320's an most audi' excluding the s' s it gobbles them up.
I am not tryin to say my car is the best car in the world. Im simply sayin it blows away everything in its price bracket.

#27 MattDRX

MattDRX

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,232 posts
  • Name: Matthew
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2 Pauper Spec

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

^ this tbh. Enough said unless your spending well over 25k you can't get better blasts and corner chucking ability for your money (new prices I'm talking about ) as for build quality moans above srs? I think the fiesta is quite well built, but then everyone goes batshit for a VW cuz it got dem blu lightz inside on da dashboard innit bruv, and everyone loves a blue light which seems to warrant 10k these days and automatically win car of the century. Bmw, vag and merc also rattle their !Removed! off after a few years, plus the fiST is more part price friendly, call up audi and ask how much a shock is for an s3 or a set of brakes. It'll frighten you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

#28 chrisroberson99

chrisroberson99

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Name: Christopher
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

I'd much rather have a Ford (or most other brands) over boring, unreliable and expensive german crap!

#29 MattDRX

MattDRX

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,232 posts
  • Name: Matthew
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2 Pauper Spec

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

What you mean is you'd rather have the Ford and 10k left over after.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

#30 yunii

yunii

yunii

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Name: yunii (nickname)
  • Ford Model: FOCUS TITANIUM-S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Forget current fords for a moment .if fords were rubbish say in 80s then why did likes of Merc use the Cosworth engine in their merc 190e cosworth?? Also widely used engine in alsorts of modified cars ford non ford. Fords are these days reliable & quality & worth its value for money.
Yunii

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users