Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Handbreak Feels Like It's Stuck On

Nicky2kuk

Please help!! Have brought an s max 2 days ago, have driven the car over 100 miles with no problems. However driving today the car just stop dead in the middle of the road. It felt as if the handbreak had been put on.

I put the car in neutral then back into drive and still nothing. Then put the car into park then back to drive, still nothing.

Somebody that was passing then jumped in the car and managed to get the car to the side of the road.

Once the car was put back into park it then wouldn't move again. It is an automatic handbreak, so it usually releases itself. I tried to release the handbreak myself (the handbreak light came off on the dash) and it still just feels like the car has the handbreak on. The car goes to pull away, the back end squats but it just won't move. Had anyone else had this problem? Please help!!

That is an odd one.

If you put the car into drive and floor it do you get any wheel spin?

I didn't wanna floor it as there was a car not far in front and didn't want it to go into that if it released itself lol. But if I put the car in drive and put my foot down I would get a bit of movement, I had to get it forward a bit to park it but just felt as if handbreak was up

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

P.s thanks for quick reply

OK so the gearbox isnt stuck which is the main thing.

It sounds like the switchfor the auto handbrake is stuck closed. If there isnt a switch on the dashboard, it must be part of the gear change mechanism, so when you move the gearstick its not releasing the handbrake and its overriding the manual lever?

Yea that sound right, the handbreak usually takes itself off, when u go to pull away it feels like it doesn't come off but the handbreak light on the dash comes off

I am beginning to wonder if there is something stuck in the sprockets that is stopping the gear mechanism from dropping and releasing the handbrake?

Do you put your foot firmly down on the footbrake as your trying to take the brake off?

I went looking and found this: http://www.justanswer.com/uk-ford/6i0nt-ford-galaxy-handbrake-07-ford-galaxy-jammed.html

Wondering if it may help?

I tried to pull the handbrake off while my foot was on the brake pedal, as the handbrake came off the brake went hard, and I also tried without my foot on the break. I've had to park the car up and leave it, the other half with be finishing work soon so he can go and have a look, I was just trying to see if I could get some answers to help him along the way. Thank u so much for ur reply and I will post what the outcome is :)

Good luck!

I would suggest you take the plastics off from around the handbrake area, and suggest you check the entire mechanism. I suspect that the switch is disengaging for the brake warning light on the cluster, but its just not releasing elsewhere on the mechanism.

Might be worth having some WD40 to hand and to really soak the area and see if that helps release anything.

If the system seems to move freely, I would suggest you disconnect the battery for a half an hour and then reconnect it, incase there is an electrical issue which is locking the handbrake on.

Brilliant thanks for ur help!!

No problem, looking forward to seeing a good result!

I'm actually really quite embarrassed to post this, other half has just got straight in the car and drove away, I think what happened is as I am used to driving a manual, this is only the second time I have drove a automatic, I think I put my foot on the brake thinking it's the clutch! Then when trying to move it not putting my foot on the foot brake for the handbrake to release itself! I think and I hope that is what's happened, u would rather be a bit embarrassed then the car be broken lol. Thank u so much for your help and sorry for wasting your time! :)

i was going to say did you have your seat belt on,coz we made this mistake with the other halfs brand new vw tiguan.no seat belt NO GO.

but reading your reply made me smile,best of luck m8,luckily for me ive never made mistakes :lol: :lol:

Best way to drive am automatic is to tie your left foot to the seat frame until you get used to driving it. :d

I know a few people that drive autos with one foot on the brake and one on the gas, it's easy if you're used to driving a manual to forget and slam the anchors on thinking you'rw putting the clutch in.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

YEah the amount of times I have swapped between my CMAX and a courtesy car, I did just as Clive said, slammed the "clutch" down and stopped my auto dead on the road, much to the irritation of fellow road users!

Its a situation that once you adapt its fine, but its taking the time to get used to it.

The first time I drove an auto was a courtesy car. The garage parked it up behind a car, told me how to use the bog basics (lights, fuel etc) and that was it, never told me how to release park. I was sitting there fiddling around trying to make it work, a mechanic came along and got into the car that my courtesy car was parked in front of, I was still sat there as was he 10 minutes later trying to figure it out, until I accidentally slammed my foot on the brake in anger and felt a click through the gear know. All of a sudden it could move....

What that mechanic must have thought of me I will never know, but as I never had sat in one, I am surprised he didnt just knock on the window, ask what was wrong and help :D

Haha that's good to know that I'm not the only 1 that has done it! The other half told me d was for day mode, n for night mode and r for race haha! Obviously I wasn't as gullible as he thought lol. Never knew it would be so difficult to get use to. Everytime I get in the car I move my left foot away and stop and think about it lol

haha, practice the left foot braking and right foot acceleration, its tricky at first, but it helps you adjust. Even on my manual, I still put my foot on the brake when I start the car, just out of habit from the CMAX :p

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club