Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bird Dropping Has Etched My Paint

Focus-Jonny

Came out of work today to notice a massive bird dropping located beside my passenger side door handle. Washed the car and to my horror I discovered what has been left behind.

post-8771-140638567661_thumb.jpg

The paint has dulled as if the top gloss coat was never applied, and there is small wrinkles in the paint that are rough to the touch.

Im so annoyed my cars paint is immaculate everywhere and is only 2010 year focus.

Can any of you professional detailers out there suggest a fix? please let it be fixable without a respray!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I'm a detailing enthusiast, not a pro. But I think it's a respray........

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

If it is a respray then to keep costs down do as much prep as you can..

I would prob try a few different options though seeing as if it's a respray it's all got to be sanded etc so you can't make it any worse.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

I have only had the car for over a year now and bought it as nearly new, quite gutted that the paintwork cant stand up to bird droppings,

My guess is this would not be covered under paintwork warranty nor could I get ford to even consider sorting it?

Don't really want to pay for a respray at this point whats to stop it happening again next week?

Whats would a respray cost its the rear quarter panel of a 3 door mk2.5 focus?

I wash and wax the car every week so I'm completely gutted at this happening thank god its not on the drivers side or I would be reminded of this unsightly blemish every time I get in the car!

Not too sure on cost but my guess would be a couple hundred quid.

I was quoted £330 for a deep.scratch and dent on a rear wheel arch.

Why not try doing it yourself?

There is plenty of videos on YouTube to help you out.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

I would try taking it back to Ford. There must have been a defect in the paint before that happened. It shouldn't happen again if you get it re sprayed.

When you say you "wash and wax every week" what do you mean?

I think I would have a hard time pushing ford for a repair under warranty, considering the context of their paint warranty statement which reads;

What is not covered by the paint surface warranty?

Ford is not responsible for any repair that is required as a direct result of:

Damage caused by neglect, flooding, accident, or improper use.

Failure to properly maintain Paint and bodywork by regular cleaning in accordance with Ford instructions.

Factors beyond Ford control, such as: airborne contamination, storm damage, stone chips, scratches and the use of unsuitable cleaning agents.

Repairs using methods that have not been approved by Ford.

In regards to me washing and waxing the car every week, I wash the car every saturday using a pressure washer, soap and sponge. Then spray the car with liquid wax so the rain beads off nicely! Every now and again I would use a harder carnauba wax say maybe every 2 months.

I got my fiesta resprayed by Ford because of stone chips down the side....

If it had been painted properly in the first place bird !Removed! wouldn't have caused the damage.

It's worth a try anyway eh?

• Like 1

Mines got one on the roof where its taken the lacquer off it, yours seem like its just the lacquer - been there since I got the car. does seem the paint work is a bit weak on these cars. If I see a bird poo I have always cleaned it off ASAP as I know they can be like paint stripper, although it usually happens when they have been left on there for a while and not cleaned off, so must have been one toxic poo to cause damage so quick!

I would expect someone like chips away could easily repair for you, however the one on my roof is barely noticeable after a polish/wax,

• Like 1

I got my fiesta resprayed by Ford because of stone chips down the side....

If it had been painted properly in the first place bird !Removed! wouldn't have caused the damage.

It's worth a try anyway eh?

Was your fiesta bought new with all warrantees still running? My car was bought second hand mate. Suppose it is worth a try mate

Yeah, it was new. The car was about 18 months old. I took it in, they measured the depth of the paint and agreed to respray it.

They decided it was painted to thin before the stone chips were that bad.

It's gotta be worth a try before you fork out any money

• Like 1