• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus RS
  • Year: 2009

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hi,

*New member to the forums*

Firstly, I've had my focus stolen 3 weeks ago :(. The Ka is an interim car until my insurance pays out.

I bought a 'run around' 2 weeks ago, a Ford Ka with the 1.3 Duratec engine. A few days ago, it would not start. Cutting a long story short, I have diagnosed that the alternator is faulty. I've decided to replace it myself as the car is only worth £300-500 and I don't want to spend the car's value to repair it.

What a horrid task to get that alternator out!

I've removed the front bumper, driver side headlight, cam belt and power steering pump. i have also unscrewed the the alternator and it is now loose. it just won't fit through any gap at all. 

I'm grateful for any suggestions / help that I can get. I'll post some photos shortly.

Thanks

James.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,268 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

You say cam belt, I'm hoping you mean auxiliary belt?

I can't help you but I know what you mean about tight for space to work! Horrible to do anything on lol

#3 James West Mids

James West Mids

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

You say cam belt, I'm hoping you mean auxiliary belt?

I can't help you but I know what you mean about tight for space to work! Horrible to do anything on lol

Yes auxiliary belt, thank you for the correction. I'm a newbie when it comes to this.

Well, today I've managed to remove it after hours of patience. Haven't fitted the replacement one yet as I'm picking it up from the scrap yard tomorrow.

For anyone else who needs to DIY here is a quick summary of what I did...

1. Dis-connect the battery

2. Remove the front bumper

3. Remove the driver's head light casing

4. Remove the auxiliary belt  :lol:

5. Undo the bolts holding the power steering pump

6. Disconnect the wires that lead to the alternator

7. Undo the bolts holding the alternator (I think there is 3). It should now be loose and you should be able to wobble it around.

8. Using a trolley jack, go underneath the front of the car and gently raise it to support the engine

9. Remove the bolts holding the engine

10. Jack the engine up about 8 inches

11. Now with a bit of twisting and turning, the alternator should come out. Even at this stage it took around 15 minutes to rotate and fiddle with it in different ways in order to get it out.

Hope this helps anyone in the future. I now have the fun in getting the new one in tomorrow  <_<

Generally really disappointed in Ford's design and their consideration for parts that may need maintaining / changing post initial production. I'm sure not all Ford's are like this?

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,744 posts
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

did you have to disconnect the hoses or any other electrical connections? if you just raised the engine without doing so you may have damaged some of the wiring or pipes?

#5 James West Mids

James West Mids

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

did you have to disconnect the hoses or any other electrical connections? if you just raised the engine without doing so you may have damaged some of the wiring or pipes?

Hi Jee,

All visible electrical connections were disconnected yes. I didn't need to remove any pipes as they all seemed to raise as one entity when the engine was lifted. Car is running fine now with no weird noises from that area of the car.

Job's a good'n I guess.

#6 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,744 posts
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

excellent result! :D

I had a friend who did something similar but foolishly forgot to disconnect the wires, lifted the engine, thought nothing of it and dropped it wondering why it was going bonkers, damaged several connectors and stretched / frayed many wires!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users